How much upsell do you do per week/month?

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
Interesting that Brian is still giving advice to us pee ons.... I am actually gonna start upselling, seriously, I promise, very soon

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
I give and take advice. I may not be perfect but I try to help.

Yeah, must be the shakes or a cell phone bill gone bad.

:dejection:

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
You must be talking about your emails....Spam is like a gift I guess si thank you

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
You guys that get all defensive about the word upsell kill me! Everywhere you go people upsell us everytime, you never get pissy about that.

Just about every gas station pump asks you if you want a car wash? (that's an upsell!), and you have a "choice", you can hit yes or no....whoa.

I don't eat fast food for years, but they all upsell on every order, or "offer" you on additional things you may want or try, as simple as "would you like to try....". Just say no thanks.

If you offer people additional services, and give them choices, you're doing them a favor. If you don't, than how the hell would they know it even exists.

Most people that book a service only have that service in their head and nothing else.

Reactions: KevinL and Brian R

steve_64

brian, it was over 4 years ago, i guess it was still in the back of my mind. i bought a 15 in used cimex from you. we talked on the phone. i asked why you were selling it you said it wasnt your type of service. weeks later i seen it was something you do and the machine had issues. i had the motor rebuilt and the pad drivers were junk. no biggee live and learn but you mislead me intentionally imo. ive watched your posts over the years and i question your character and integrity.

but what do i know im just a hack broke dick cleaner. i shouldve kept this to myself.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
Interesting that Brian is still giving advice to us pee ons.... I am actually gonna start upselling, seriously, I promise, very soon

Greg- I'm still gun shy to do much here cause I'm still getting notifications on tapatalk when people reply in threads I have posted in. I turned off notifications here so it may be a tapatalk thing still to be worked out. Hoping all the great things Mike alluded to will be along soon as well LOL.

Actually I am getting use to this new format and it seems improved~ just takes getting the hang of it.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
brian, it was over 4 years ago, i guess it was still in the back of my mind. i bought a 15 in used cimex from you. we talked on the phone. i asked why you were selling it you said it wasnt your type of service. weeks later i seen it was something you do and the machine had issues. i had the motor rebuilt and the pad drivers were junk. no biggee live and learn but you mislead me intentionally imo. ive watched your posts over the years and i question your character and integrity.

but what do i know im just a hack broke dick cleaner. i shouldve kept this to myself.

I've never owned a Cimex in my life.... Nor have I ever sold one.

Mistaken identity.

For me, about 10-15% of my total sales is upsell and that probably translates into 1/3 of my profit. I really wish I was better at upsell, because look at it this way, you spent time and money to get there and make $50. You've got 2 hours invested in the job including travel, that's not so hot.
Upsell even protector for $40 and you are probably going to make $25. You are already there. You are going to invest another 15 minutes to make an extra $25? I am. $50 for 2 hours is $25 per hour. $75 for 2.25 hours is $33.33 per hour. Any day I can give myself an $8.33 per hour raise is a good day...

You also have to believe in the product to upsell it. If you never experienced the wonder of fluorochemicals, you must be doing only low end olefin and polyester jobs. All residential nylon carpet, even "builder's grade" junk is Gen 5, that means it was treated with fabric protector at the mill. Ever clean carpet that was only about a year old? No matter how hard they try, it comes clean relatively easy. Ever try to clean a low end rental that has olefin? Even if it is a year old, it often requires a nuclear option... Same with commercial carpet. It might be Generation 3 nylon, but I see more and more olefin. Untreated nylon stains easy and cleans poorly. In the traffic lanes, it might as well be untreated after 2-3 cleanings and/or 2-3 years. Can't go use the nuclear option on Gen 5. The areas that still have mill applied protector should remain that way. It is a pleasure to come back a year later and clean a protected carpet. If find most customers ask for it after the first erxperience with it, then it is no longer upselling.

Last edited:

joey895

Supportive Member
Name
Joey J.
You're right... I did. Forgive me. lol

But still

Was the sarcasm in the "OK" or the selling of the Cimex.... I never claimed to be a brain surgeon.
:very_drunk:

I'm thinking he's calling you a liar? :eek:

I could be wrong though.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
I'm thinking he's calling you a liar? :eek:

I could be wrong though.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Whatever it is Brian should not be accused of something like this so open IF HE DID NOT SELL HIM THE CIMEX. He does deserves more then a sarcastic or not sarcastic "ok".

I have no idea if Brian ever owned one but I'd be pretty mad too If someone was stating it on the board like this and I never sold the guy anything.

Last edited:

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
Whatever it is Brian should not be accused of something like this so open IF HE DID NOT SELL HIM THE CIMEX. He does deserve more then a sarcastic or not sarcastic "ok".

I have no idea if Brian ever owned one but I'd be pretty mad too If someone was stating it on the board like this and I never sold the guy anything.

X2 seems like a classless act.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
I'd like to know who I'm being mistaken for.

I sold my Orbot, but that's about it.

I didn't even know who this Rutherford fellow was until he accused me of all this.

But I can't remember half the guys around here unless they post on a regular basis.

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
im going to be the classless act i am and drop it. i shouldnt have said anything.

So...why not just say it who you got it from and who you mixed up Brian with?

Some may dislike Brian and his business or whatever his is trying to sell at the moment but he shouldn't be thrown under the bus if he wasn't even at the bus station....

Edit: I posted this while Brian posted his OK.....so I guess this board format won't give you the chance to see if anyone posted since you started typing before submitting...

Last edited:

SMRBAP

Supportive Member
Name
Anthony
Yes, as many as needed to keep policies/rules/protocols followed and forward movement happening. Usually a few minutes in the mornings, and weekly maintenance on tools takes about an hour so we have a meeting at the same time.

SMRBAP

Supportive Member
Name
Anthony
What do you mean by pretreatment? Is there something special that you guys do that you call pretreatment or is it just prespray??

If its just prespray, why would you charge for such a basic and needed step in cleaning? So your guys don't vacuum either? I never understand this- "pretreatment is extra"- kinda businesses.. Bait n switch. in my opinion.

You know what prespray means, I do, most on here do - most customers need a word that better translates into their understanding of what we do. We have found using pre-treat (ment) is more commonly understood.

It is not a truly needed step in at least 50% of the rooms we clean. First - We run modified Apex D's, 2.5 ttd, and modded Ti wands - and they clean extremely well. Secondly - we don't clean with a rinse. That's why it's not a needed step more often (not to start that debate).

So again - why build it in the price and make our 2x a year customers pay for it when it isn't needed?

We used to prevac - our market was flooded with one man shows running porty's, and 20 year old rigs - the market demanded the lowest price possible - we achieved lowering our costs in many ways, that was one of them. In our booking confirmation e-mails, customers are told to prevac very thoroughly. If we see a situation that calls for it, it happens, otherwise it's right into the cleaning. I don't know of a firm in my area that does it as a regular step (that's not using a cold water porty anyway).

And again - call it what you like, we spend about 15-20 minutes per call explaining our services and pricing prior to booking. Customers are more than well aware when they state moderate soil they may need pretreatment, and that plus rotary cleaning when they tell us they are heavily soiled.

We have a base price, and from there only what is needed is recommended, sold, performed and paid for. A higher level cleaning that requires more work and chems is more time and materials - and that is what we all sell here.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
So...why not just say it who you got it from and who you mixed up Brian with?

Some may dislike Brian and his business or whatever his is trying to sell at the moment but he shouldn't be thrown under the bus if he wasn't even at the bus station....

Edit: I posted this while Brian posted his OK.....so I guess this board format won't give you the chance to see if anyone posted since you started typing before submitting...

Thanks Zee.... You think I would be used to this crap by now.

Falsely accused from creative imaginations. Gotta love it.

steve_64

well ive been looking through my records and i can only find one thing on a credit card that may have been it. it probably was and it was a different brian.

im not going to make the same mistake twice so i wont get into who it may have been. my apoligies brian for making the accusation i did. i shouldve researched it first. i think i got confused early on when it first happened. i was dealing with a lot back then. not that its an excuse. i made a mistake. i really thought it was you or i wouldnt have done that.

again i apologize.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom