How often is available electricity an issue for flood work ??

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree
I know their is no definitive answer to this question but any insite into the lack of electrical power for extraction and running drying equipment would be helpfull.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Depends, commercial or residential, also the scope of the job.

Average residential not often, multilevel with most of the home affected, it's very likely you'll run out of juice. Especially if it's three levels.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
We don't do anything that big for generators, I wish we did.

We will hook up spider boxes when short on juice. If needed we will call in an electrician and have him hard wire into the box. It's rare if you use low amp draw equipment, it won't happen that often.

Reactions: Mardie

SMRBAP

Supportive Member
Name
Anthony
The older the house the more likely you are to have power issues.

I have wired in some spider boxes, but the Mytee converter boxes are a ton easier and get us through most situations.

9/10 times when we need some extra power, dryer or range 220/240 splits to 40 amp 110v - done deal.

Will be selling all of our current fans and getting into the prochem triads.

10 fans on high on one 15A breaker. Can to 2 D's and 20 AM's on (3) 15 amp circuits.

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
Same here about power.

The Triads are nice, but @ 400 retail it's right at the same price as the top ranking axials? I've seen phoenix focuses selling for 200 a piece online, some companies even have 60-100 of them at once. That's about a 2 grand difference for 10 more fans @ 1.5-2.5 amps. I do agree that anything w/ much higher amperage is just not worth it esp w/ the older homes.

The job we just completed we ran the 30/20 amp from the washer/dryer plus the ones downstairs in the basement, ton of equipment and still barely any power on a 10 year old home. Good thing all the fans were 1.6-2.5 amps.

SMRBAP

Supportive Member
Name
Anthony
Bill, you make that money back pretty quickly, maybe not on the surface but -

When you have 30 people in line for service, and it's a race against the clock to get there, because you know they are calling every company they can find one after the next while they wait, having 1 hr to set up, vs 2 hrs playing with power runs, gets you to more homes faster to plant your flag.

I can get twice as many fans in one load on a truck, so that eliminates at least 1 trip, possibly two for each van to run back to the shop to re-stock.

Also saves you from having to turn around 90 minutes after setup when the dehu/s hit their first defrost mode and knock out a breaker or two.

It's those days where you can get 30 jobs vs 20 because of the time saving things you put in play that pay for the more expensive toys.

Heck, I'm probably buying a vac pack for every Hydro x so we can eliminate set up / tear down time on the TM's

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Anthony has you tried the Triad's out already?

Congrats on the 30-20 jobs, man that would be awesome!

I haven't seen those kinds of numbers in a couple of years. It used to happen twice a year, but it's dried up, no significant storms, heck not even significant cold. Sucks but what are you going to do. We keep marketing to commercial prospects and keeping our fingers crossed. :winky:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
LOL Yes Steven if you need it come borrow it.

It does sit most of the time, last year I think the biggest bulk of equipment only went out twice. We mostly work with 50-100, anything more than that are we are dusting them off before they go out.

Hey we are in a small market, less than 200,000 pop

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
My total service area has 4-500,000. However my hometown the only town I really service right now has a lil over 32k, and its mostly college students. My biggest competitor runs 4 bane clean vans, and 90% of what they do is apartments. I haven't seen the old company I worked for in my hood for a long time except once this summer.

But to get back on topic LOL.

During storms is really the only time I've had to run generators, or during a power outage of some sort. Otherwise if its a large enough loss I've contracted an electrical company to come wire a spider box or two. Those Mytee converters have saved my hide a few times when in a pinch too. They're really a must have if you're doing WDR, IMO.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Lawrence has 80,90K but like your home town a lot of students, 30,000, so it varies. Topeka, 120,000 including the county. Shmall but I like it, KC is just 30-minutes from Lawrence, 50-minutes from Topeka. Dan lives in Lawrence but goes to KC for entertainment and dinner frequently. KC is too big for me, I live out in the sticks and come into town to eat and shop.

I'll have to check out Mytee's Converter's!
5003-Photo_zpsc7272a91.png

SMRBAP

Supportive Member
Name
Anthony
Doc - I have not.

When I get the first round in - I'll get a post up - but I have very little worry performance will be an issue. PC is not one to sugar coat specs and ratings IMO.

As far as those converters - best money you'll spend power wise. Saves loads of time, minimizes cord runs.

Since I got them in hand - I have only had to wire in 1 time, and that was a job where we were pulling 195 amp out of a 200 amp box - man could I use that job again....lol.

I started a program to go after uninsured people - the customers nobody wants, except the fly by night guys anyway, so we have been pretty busy on that front.

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
I also would like to hear about the program if you can.

the mytee converters are the shiznit! And I mean it. They make us a lot of money by letti g us quickly set up more equipment at the range out let and the dryer outlet. Very easy and convenient.

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
When it comes to most normal restoration jobs, power is mostly not a problem. With fire jobs it almost always is a problem depending severity of the damage.

It always is a problem with catastrophes and natural disasters as you will have a large areas with no power and will have to have generators to work and gensets to keep you equipment powered.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I don't mind working for the uninsured, as long as we are all on the same page as to costs, and payment. Often times the dealings are much smoother with a home or business owner when there is no insurance involved.

They are not so quick to jump to replacement when they are footing the bill. Restoration is the much cheaper alternative and while they are not excited to pay a bill they know it's the best alternative.

Payment plans don't always work out though, even post dated checks have not worked out that well. VISA, MASTERCARD have been the best. We will take installments but I'd never stretch it out too far, the further away you get from the loss the less value it seems to be remembered.

Name
Yohance
Typically power is not a issue unless breakers or water was in electrical. We use the tm so usually not a problem. We also use the Honda 2000i for lights and power if needed.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom