How often you NEED to Haul Water?

Name
George Valliant
In the past year there was one job i couldn't do because of no water..

If no outside faucet is available normally a $5 sink adapter like this does the trick.

20140722_124735_zpsbf01c700.jpg

How often do you need to haul water?

Able 1

Name
Keith
I haul water every day, a LOT of water every day! I carry over 165 gallons, but it is killing my van.. I do my own breaks almost every year. I like having the water,but is about all my 1 ton can handle..

I like to be able to go job to job without thinking about where I will have to fill up.

Lars

Name
Lars
Never need to carry water. Don't even have a tank onboard. We carry 125 feet of water hose, but usually reach with 50' 95% of the time. Maybe this is the west coast set up?

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
I've hooked to thousands of sinks over the years but I'm finding lately many homes have new-fangled faucets with unremovable aerators, even on utility faucets. With outside faucets frozen I would be stuck like a duck if I didn't have adequate onboard water reserves.

June14carpetcleaning063_zps417d957a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
I've finally givin' in to hauling water. Don't know why I hadn't switched over to hauling years ago. Sure, the weight makes a big difference, but you drive the van like it has an extra load! I give myself a little more stopping time.

After 38 years of searching out water spigots, having your own water is like having a new girl friend! With NOT having to find operable spigots at some of the apartment complexes, it's made my day so much easier, and cut my time on job a lot. If you're a cold weather operator, it makes life so much easier.

Name
Lee Stockwell
I need onboard water 2 or 3 times a week.

I enjoy onboard water every day.

In practice, I typically top the tank about every third job as needed. I also carry 200' of fill line and all the fittings needed.

Can't imagine running long without it.

Jim Morrison

Name
jim
In the past year there was one job i couldn't do because of no water..

That sounds pretty good!

We carry 120 gal but frequently run out and fill from the customers premises during the day, faucet adapters are worth their weight in gold.
If outside hose bibs are installed correctly they work year round.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
That sounds pretty good!

We carry 120 gal but frequently run out and fill from the customers premises during the day, faucet adapters are worth their weight in gold.
If outside hose bibs are installed correctly they work year round.
one word....hot water tank!

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
Two truck have onboard water, usually 150 gallons or so, and our backup unit has not fresh tank, I took it out to clean the other day just to see what it is like.

I have to say I liked or didn't mind it, but would be sol if I got to a rental and ther was no available hookup.

I don't like hooking up like goerge hooks up above, because of all of the KNOWN bad scenarios that can take place.

But that's just me, I prefer onboard water.

mirf

Supportive Member
Name
David Mirfin
On board water. Extra time looking for spigot. Some homes have well water and white carpets.
If we pull up to a large job and hook up is right there we will use it.

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
Northern MN....never trust an outdoor water spigot....especially when you see people still have their water hoses hooked up in the freezing weather (we always talk to them all and try to educate). If we hook up to a water spigot, we ask permission and still check for back feed leaking into the home.

110 gallon fresh capacity full everyday (210 waste with pump outs that are hardly ever used). Water softeners and filtration on the vans too....if we hook up to someone else's water.

And the reason we still end up running 2 vans is for the water capacity needs in a day.

We still have to find water hook ups sometimes in the winter which can get interesting :oldrolleyes:

Reactions: rwcarpet

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
We carry up to 225 gal. Love it because I don't have to fool with looking for spigots especially if it's raining. We adjust accordingly to schedule as to how much we carry but if we start out full and have to fill up we know it's been a great day!

TomKing

Supportive Member
Name
Tom
the question in my mind is not about the technical issue of getting water.

The question is How does the customer feel about it?

With all the 1000's of homes served in the last 6 years we probably have had to take water less than 30 times.

I can think of 2 negative reviews we have received and both of those involved hooking up to water.

We often have new customers ask do you hook up to our water? They do not like it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mark Saiger

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
people here just accept it as part of getting there carpets cleaned..I could not tell you how many have pointed out where the faucet is without having to ask.....

KevinD

Name
Kevin Dumas
How often do I "NEED" to carry water? Rarely.
Probably 95% of jobs have water readily available within a 100'

How often do I "WANT" to carry water? Every day in my area and climate.

I service a lot of semi and rural areas on wells that have absolute crap for water.
It is either low water pressure, large amounts of rust, iron and minerals.
Winter climate around here all the smart people have their outside water shut off so
you end up turning it on and back off, possible needing to make sure all lines are drained when done.
A couple municipalities I work in their water actually corrodes plumbing.

The best part of carrying water for me is I do not have to second guess how to mix detergents and presprays to combat water issues and make the products perform well.
All are mixed with the same soft water carried on the truck and work the same way job after job.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name

With all the 1000's of homes served in the last 6 years we probably have had to take water less than 30 times.

I can think of 2 negative reviews we have received and both of those involved hooking up to water.

We often have new customers ask do you hook up to our water? They do not like it.

Let's get real here. The cost of tap water in America is $.004/gal. Even if you fill up your truck with 100 gallons at the location, that's about 40 cents. An average 20 to 40 gallon job is 8 to 16 cents in water. If that bothers your customers, and it clearly bothered 2, well those two cheapwads have much larger issues than supplying water for the fellows cleaning their carpets.

Last edited:

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
I've hooked to thousands of sinks over the years but I'm finding lately many homes have new-fangled faucets with unremoveable aerators, even on utility faucets. With outside faucets frozen I would be stuck like a duck if I didn't have adequate onboard water reserves.

June14carpetcleaning063_zps417d957a.jpg

Art;

We brought in this adapter, which adjusts to different faucets without removable aerators for direct hook-ups . . .
FaucetAdapt.jpg

Larry

Last edited:

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Art;

We brought in this adapter, which adjusts to different faucets for direct hook-ups . . .
8583.jpg

Larry
Well, I will certainly check it out Larry, but sometimes there is no hope. This is what people are doing:
images (1).jpg
download.jpg
download (1).jpg

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
the question in my mind is not about the technical issue of getting water.

Last twenty five years, they've felt fine, thanks for asking.
What's the matter with Indiana? :winky:

As per the technical issue, here in the west: Drive to location, look left, look right, or in garage- there you go.
Last twenty five years had only one job I couldn't find water. Considering that I'd have had to haul water for nothing for all these years- I gladly declined the job.
Treated myself to a good lunch to celebrate the free time. Felt good. Food was delicious.

Had I lived in Freeze Land, having water on board would have been absolutely necessary.
Which brings up a whole new subject: Why voluntarily stay in Siberia?

Reactions: Art Kelley

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom