How old were you when you got started cleaning?

How old were you when you first started cleaning FULL TIME?

• Total voters

Mikey P

Administrator
and more importantly, do prospective new hires stand a chance if they're over 20?

I think it's pretty damn rare for a 30+ year old to pick this trade up and stick with it on an Owner Op level..

Reactions: BIG WOOD

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I was recruited at 12 for $1.00 an hour water boy, vacuum edges.

First tm at 16, cleaned full time summers and weekends. Senior year I missed 18 times from sleeping in because a late night of cleaning. Lost an A, to a B simply for missing so much. Been cleaning ever since, the rest is pretty much Rock n Roll history. 😉

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
I started when I was 17, and I didn't know how strong I was with that prochem quad with no glide, because I never complained about that wand. Or...the tm wasn't tuned correctly, lol

I made that guy Allot of money...only getting paid $8/hr. This was back in '97, but I was doing some big jobs alone for that guy. 2 years later, I quit with a smile on my face...not knowing what I'd be doing today

With that thought in mind, that tells me I need to hire a kid with a starting pay of $12, and he'd appreciate that job, so I could arrange room for decent raises as time progresses. I don't see hiring a 30year old at $15/hr being too easy, knowing that he's got grown up living expenses.

Trip Moses

IMOL
Name
Trip Moses
My first cleaning job was in 1992, MCRD Paris Island South Carolina. I started my carpet cleaning business in 2008 , I was 35.

Name
Matt Middleton
At age 21 I started with a Rug Dr.. Been in business ever since.

Didn't grow up to be a cleaner, there was not much going on in the Ozarks. But I had to get out of LA.

To stay we went with cleaning.😊

Reactions: Ed Valentine

steve_64

I started when I was 17, and I didn't know how strong I was with that prochem quad with no glide, because I never complained about that wand. Or...the tm wasn't tuned correctly, lol

I made that guy Allot of money...only getting paid $8/hr. This was back in '97, but I was doing some big jobs alone for that guy. 2 years later, I quit with a smile on my face...not knowing what I'd be doing today

With that thought in mind, that tells me I need to hire a kid with a starting pay of $12, and he'd appreciate that job, so I could arrange room for decent raises as time progresses. I don't see hiring a 30year old at $15/hr being too easy, knowing that he's got grown up living expenses.
Go talk to the janitor at your local highschoool. The trouble kids with good hearts get sent to the custodians pretty often or use to. But they know who needs a job and are workers sometimes.

Or let your better customers know you are looking for good help. That's how we got the twins but it took years to find these guys.

Reactions: BIG WOOD
Name
Jeff T
Just my opinion, it has nothing to do with age....
BUT,
I think it has ALOT more to due with personality, and a aptitude to learn...
Let me explain. In most trades/occupation’s, an individual learns from those around them at that time. Age, a need for self importance, and a desire to ‘look’ like a journey man, keeps those stuck in old/antiquated ways. They want to believe the way they were taught is the only way..... even if the industry changes/moves forward, they mostly do not. They aren’t willing to learn new techniques..... ‘I’ve been doing this for 28 years, you can’t tell me a better way’.... I heard that time and time again in construction..... well, I’ve got news for ya, THIS AND OTHER FORUMS, PROVE THAT THERE IS....
The way I was taugh to Clean was WRONG.... I like to think I’m smart enough to recognize that, AND I ADAPTED to a better way....
And because of that, my company’s bottom line is higher than 95% of the guys in my area.... am I being boastful? NO. I try to be liquid in my thoughts and actions in business... Sure, there are some times that I make mistakes, BUT, I try to mitigate them, and I correct them as quickly as possible, and I DONT KEEP BANGING MY HEAD INTO THE SAME BRICK WALL.....
I just want to thank ALL of you that have blazed a trail in this before us, made those mistakes, and allowed some of the rest of us to learn/springboard forward, and allow us to avoid those pitfalls....
Just my 2 bits...
Jeff @ SCC

Last edited:

Chris A

Name
Chris
Age 12 started working Summers, at 19 I left college and cleaned fill time, and became a business owner and month before my 21st birthday.

Chris A

Name
Chris
After a couple failed "older" guy hires, I'm back to looking for young kids with a little (but not too much) ambition. My right hand guy is 25 now he started with me just before he turned 21, it was his first real job and he's a rockstar, finding another one of him has been tough

Reactions: dealtimeman

Steve T

Name
Steve Trosky
While in college I worked part time but more on the janitorial side of cleaning. Prior to retiring from a state career ( at 42 ) I started a part time carpet cleaning business at age 35. Once fully retired from the state, I went full time as an owner operator with the occasional helper. Now at 55, during the winter months when business slow I recuperate, relax & heal and ponder whether I've got another year left in the tank.

DAT

Name
Bill Cheryl
I also worked for my parents' cleaning accounts as a youngster, but the poll specified FULL time.
I was working full time at age 8 allowed for my age. I was with my mom and aunts cleaning janitorial about 25 hours a week. I didn't have a choice though.

:biggrin:

Fat Mike

Name
Mike G
started at 26, 10yrs ago. lost a construction job of over 8yrs when the market tanked. we did very well in that construction company but most of the upper level guys were let go.

did odd jobs then started our cleaning with a jiggler. ive got two tms in the garage but we mostly clean commercial so its not a big deal too us.

now we're heavy repairs and starting a construction co.

Jim Williams

Name
Jim Williams
I started at 35. I've only had a real job 7 yeas of my life and that was enough to let me know I was destined to be self employeed. I put my body through the hours of abuse every day to keep from ever getting another job working for someone. Not to mention I am making 4 times what I made at my last real job.

Name
Steve Lawrence
How do you work full time when you are under 15 yo? Quit school to clean? I know they don't teach you much if anything (go Pink Flloyd!) but there is recess!

Last edited:
Reactions: Lee Stockwell

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
My first experience in carpet cleaning was as a telemarketer. I was out of work and needed a job. Found out I was good at sales and eventually became a cleaner. Too bad, that first company was a bait and switch operator. Once I found how crooked they were, I moved on. Opened up a business with my brother inlaw in rural Alberta then he and my sister got divorced. Shut that down and moved to BC. Worked for a variety of carpet cleaning companies, mostly bait and switch types, then found a job at a small, high end company. The owner came from the dry cleaning business and had a good knowledge of chemistry and fabrics. Learned how to clean rugs and fine fabrics. That owner taught me how to organize large commercial jobs. We would do 30,000 sqft. in less than 8 hours with 1 truck and 4 guys. Finally went out on my own and have been an owner/op since 1990.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
How do you work full time when you are under 15 yo? Quit school to clean? I know they don't teach you much if anything (go Pink Flloyd!) but there is recess!
You still get 20 hours in and go to "some school". Full time plus in summer's.

It wasn't voluntary, I was drafted.

My father was a drill Sargent in the Army. We lived it at home and the work place.

Last edited:

steve_64

I worked 3 hours a night five days a week and full time in summer at the school. They were waiting for me to turn 16. Summer and winter break we cleaned carpet stripped and waxed vct.
Part time at 15 cleaning a store at the mall 5 nights a week till I turned 16.

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
34 for me. I had an early mid life crisis and sold everything I had and moved to Idaho to start a business. that was 2006. Then the economy crashed and I had to work 3 jobs to make it. 13 years later I think I'm in it for the long haul. My son is 25 now. He started working with me when he was 14. He loves it and will probably be running the business soon as I start to back off.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom