How slow does it go in the winter months ?

Paul Demers

Supportive Member
Name
Paul Demers
I am in the process of writing my business plan for a one truck/one man carpet cleaning business. For those of you who live in cold climates, I live in Pennsylvania, how slow does business get during the winter months of January and February? I plan on starting my business in March, but need to estimate 12 months of projected sales.
Thanks
Paul

Larry B

Name
Larry Burrell
Paul

It would be hard for anyone on here to answer your question. Everyone on here started out different and with different amounts of cash.

Living in PA and just starting out I would guess to say unless you have alot of friends and family you will do very little if any work. Advertise the crap out of your area before it gets cold.

topnotchman

When I started out I always had terrible January's and February's, even into March. Now, Jan is okay, and Feb. still sucks, and Middle to end of march picks up. I would just bank roll up during the summer and fall months just to make it through the slow times, specially just starting out.

Name
Lee Stockwell
It's always easier to make an extra thousand dollars any week in August than it is to make the first thousand in February.

If it weren't for our commercial accounts, some now monthly for over twenty-five years, and some seasonal school projects, winters would be brutal.

Get some comfortable walking shoes and do a LOT of "belly-to-belly" sales work NOW.

Thanks,
Lee

M

Mark Imbesi

You still need to market during the winter, especially just starting out. You need to gain name recognition, so when the weather does warm up, and the snow is done falling, you become the cleaner the public thinks of. You should concentrate on commercial accounts and put them on a maintanence schedule so you will be busier in the winter of 2010.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Promote your business to groups in your area. It can be almost any group with over 200 members. But, if you sow the seeds now. You will recieve free marketing to all their members forever. This will give you a stream of new clients even in the slow months.

Having to pay for advertising in the very slow months often times is the death nail for most carpet cleaning companies. Don't make that mistake!!

Dave_
http://www.FreeMarketingForever.com

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
I have only had 2 slow weeks. From reading what other people have gone through I would say drop your numbers 50% from mid jan to first week of March.

When you market make sure you let them know best dry times are in the winter months and it is the perfect time to get them cleaned. Let them know you have door protectors to lock in their heat(if your using aTM) and throw a few deals out there.

Paul Demers

Supportive Member
Name
Paul Demers
As I said, I will be starting my business in March 2009. I am spending time now until then working on business and marketing plans, web site, training and certification, equipment purchases, and other start up tasks. Living on military retirement, unemployment, and wife's salary for now.

For purpose of sales projections, I think I will project Jan and Feb 2010 sales at 35 percent of my summer/fall estimates. I figure slow months will be the best time to take a vacation, and a good time to attend some additional training classes.

thanks for all input.
Paul

M

Mark Imbesi

Again, get the ads out in Jan and Feb 2009, so you are known in March. Best of luck!

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
The slow times are the best times to market personally. If your not on the truck, you need to be on your feet.

Don't pay for ads to customers that are not there.
Get your face out there and get noticed so when there is work, they will call you.

Although you need to keep an ad somewhere so the name recognition is there as well...just don't push the direct mail with ads that expire before the season picks up.

CapeCleaner

I'll join the chorus. Start marketing and advertising your business right after the holidays. In colder climates, spring is a major carpet cleaning period. If you wait until March to begin advertising and marketing you'll miss out on a lot of business.

Able 1

Name
Keith
I do a ton of flyers in the winter, not really anything else to do. That being said I do get work from them even in the winter months, and alot of people hold on to them till spring too.

G

I'am going to tell you your business plan "To Stay In Business"

Thats been my for 20+ years

I know high dollar cleaners that has not much going right now, I price my as affordable and I cant keep up!!!!!!

Greg Loe

Don't forget the Christmas holidays!

Some people stop cleaning 2 weeks before Christmas. My area doesn't pick back up til end of April.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
December and January are big commercial account months.

I will be working the day after Christmas, New years day, and Jan 2nd.
I should be dead as all three jobs are fricken huge...but I thank God because it will get me through the "winter".

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom