How To Clean Expensive Velour Curtains

Kristian

I am being asked to clean a $50k velour stage curtain. In addition to needing a basic cleaning it has some latex paint spots on it. Because of the value of the curtain I am a little nervous about this one. Does anyone out there have experience cleaning something like this? If so, what chemicals would be safe on velour and simultaneously effective on latex paint? Also, can the steam from an upholstery tool alone damage the material? Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Kristian

dgargan

I cleaned some for a school once. Laid them out on the gym floor and cleaned them with Drimaster upholstery tool. Put an air mover on them when done. easy to clean. The paint may be a different story.

MarkE

And check the local fire code because you might have to treat and offer a certification if it’s for a public place.

Name
steve snail
Steam (wet) cleaning would make me a bit nervous, possible shrinkage? Vac the hell out of them, mist them with dry cleaning drapery solvent cleaner, vacuum dry. If the latex paint is fresh it may just come out with the cleaning. If it's been on there awhile and hardened up, it may need some agitation with dry solvent which might distort the fabric. In any case, go easy.

GRHeacock

I can see from here you are not certified for flame retardant applications.

This requires a course and test, knowledge of fabrics and flame retardant chemicals, a system of applying the flame retardant, and have a certificate to give the customer saying it has been properly treated by a professional applicator, and exactly what the brand and properties of the product are.

So.... if you do clean it, and remove the flame retardant properties previously applied- then whatcha gonna do when the curtain catches fire?

What to do now? Decline this job, and let someone who has the credentials do it.

(I did this work for 7 years.)

Gary

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Kristian;

Find out if the fabric used is inherently fire retardant.

If it is, then your main concern would be the proper cleaning procedure.

Local fire marshals should be talked to, if you decide to apply a Flame Retardant product.

Larry

handdi

Supportive Member
Name
Randy
i cleaned some 22 years ago in galveston tx after elisha hurricane
in the civic center
WE pulled on the ropes and brought them down to the floor and then raised them
up as we cleaned them with an uph tool.
piece of cake go for it.

Jose Smith

First of all, many stage drapes these days are using an inherently flame resistant fiber. That said, check and be sure or you will not be removing something that you should not be (as Gary mentioned).

Secondly, these should probably only be dry cleaned and here's why. It is NOT because of shrinkage-with stage drapes these should never shrink. It's actually because of the construction of the fabric. These pile weaves (velour, velvet, etc.) can be damaged by moisture. They lay flat and trying to groom and restore the nap can double or triple your time. It can really be a big pain.

Dry cleaning should be safe and effective using OMS and a dry cleaning portable. It should also handle the paint problem.

Jose Smith

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom