How to effectively color seal this job

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
These are 2 small 80 sq ft each commercial bathrooms, don't have the linear ft w/ me. It was cleaned using a vapor steamer, didn't have any chems with me at the time. Took a while to get the grout lines clean. Wanted to see what would be the most effective and cost effective way to color seal these grout lines. As you can from the picture if i were to do each random lines would take all day.

Quoted $1.50 to clean & $1.50 to color seal on the demo, now thinking should've gone higher on the color seal. No idea how much color seal i will need, quart or gallon(s).

Before
100_0620.jpg

After
100_0635.jpg

100_0641.jpg

Your thoughts?

Bill

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
Sorry, don't have much experience cs but wonder how others would feel about squeeging it in diagonally. If that's not doable I would probably go back and re-clean with chem's. And acid wash may even the grout out.

Albert

Name
George Valliant
There is only one way I know of to color seal and that is horizontal lines and vertical lines. Usually, the lines are much longer than ½ foot but I’m guessing the same principle applies.

Price accordingly, take your time, and have fun!

Besides, think of all the free advertising you will get by writing on the wall “for a good floor job call Bill”

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
That was a demo i did so i can't go back and re-clean w/ chems.

Tim - thanks for the link, i did remember mike posting that topic, and was thinking of applying that way as well.

Anyone know which scrub he is using in that video? Looks like a tub scrub that you get a at home depot/walmart? Not sure.

SJA

I am not 100% sure - it appears that the grout is even with the tile. If so - I would not colorseal. If the grout is slightly below the tile you can colorseal with the method shown in the video clip. Best way to know how easy/difficult it will be - is to do a small demo - just like you did with the cleaning.

The white pad in the video is nothing special. You can cut up a white buff pad, use a scotch brite pad, or go to home depot and buy the one with the handle. The one with the white handle can become uncomfortable after a while. I would find something that you can hold flat.

David Gelinas

Hi Bill

I don’t recommend color sealing that floor. That floor is a very old, at least fifty years old, and is a porcelain tile floor with flush grout. On that floor your biggest concern is that the grout is flush, if it were recessed you could color seal it but its not. Because of that there is no reasonable way to apply the colorant and it would wear off almost immediately if you did try it – sorry. Do a very aggressive cleaning and clear seal it with a penetrating sealer.

David Gelinas
Marbleguy

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
Thanks David.

By the way - Are you teaching this year? If so, do you have course(s) dates yet?

Thanks

David Gelinas

Bill, we’re hoping to do a class in January or February – really who wouldn’t want to come to sunny and warm Florida that time of year. If you or any one else would like to be included in that class please send your contact info to Denise at dggelinas@gmail.com.

David Gelinas
Marbleguy

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
David Gelinas said:
Bill, we’re hoping to do a class in January or February – really who wouldn’t want to come to sunny and warm Florida that time of year. If you or any one else would like to be included in that class please send your contact info to Denise at dggelinas@gmail.com.

David Gelinas
Marbleguy

Email sent.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom