How to get indentation marks fro furniture out of carpet?

Name
Lee Stockwell
Three things are affected when heavy furniture indents a carpet:
1. The face fiber is crushed
2. The backing material is usually stretched into a dome shaped depression
3. The foam padding is crushed

Many fixes don't work when indentations are severe. I hit the spot with steam and enough agitation to uncrush the face fiber.

When that isn't enough I take a small pair of pliers and pull the depression UP to invert the dome-shaped stretched backing, leaving it UP while it dries. Usually that is enough for government work.

Thanks,
Lee

joe harper

Name
joe harper
All of what Lee says...."except for the pliers.."

If you will buy some .99 cent "CORKSCREWS"...You can screw them into the carpet
& pad ....This will also allow you to get the desired height and allow the pad to relieve the compression factor..Leave to dry overnight...then unscrew the corkscrew... :wink:

Ps on older "Jute-Back" carpet...you could just leave an "ice cube" in the indention..
and it would shrink ..and remove the PIT..

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Customer taught me to use a butter knife. :shock:
Worked pretty good.

I usually just tell them that I'll do the best I can but they will pop back up on there own.

If you try to work too hard on them can it cause problems with the carpet bubbling or anything like that?

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Some have told to me to just steam the hell out of it. I just don't think that can be too good for the carpet backing if you really get into it.

Joe Bristor

1. steam it like you would a red stain.
2. in worst cases powertstretch the room.
3. guaranteed fix for the worst ones (like mahogany desk or grand piano) :arrow: replace the small sections of pad that are dented. then powerstretch.

Heathrow

Name
Heath Menefy
Harper I've heard that ice cube trick many times, but have always wondered what the effect would be on jute - I would think that the ice would melt, wetting the jute backing, and cause browning?? Guess I should try it and find out.

CDRX

The ice cube trick does help for homeowners (we don't typically have time to wait for ice to melt). But I've tried it on my own carpet, after the ice cube has melted into carpet, use a fork to lift the fibers up.

Usually when I'm cleaning (after explaining to the homeowner that they won't come out completely due to stretching of backing and compression of pad) I'll hold the wand over the indents a few inches off the carpet and just spray the area with the super hot water and let it soak while I start cleaning the room and by the time I get to the spot the backing and fibers have relaxed to the point where it looks a lot better, not perfect but it helps.

A

amazingcleansc

joeynbgky said:
I know its been talked about before, but was wandering if there were any new ideas?

If normal grooming doesn't help, do a burn test and make sure you are cleaning what you think you are!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom