How to get rid off musty old house smell

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
How do I get rid of musty old house smell.
Already disinfected and deodorized carpet. Replaced water damaged dry wall and dry rotted exterior sidings?

Would closing house and using an ozone generator work? The house is approximately 1700 square feet.

For how long of a time?

If not, what would work?

Thank you.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
I bought another house and rented to someone who had a perpetual synus infection......cleaning, dehus and deodorizers

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
first then you did not buy another house. The real question is you can not find out the source of the problem? What have you done in terms of testing

FLYERMAN

Supportive Member
Name
Ken Raddon
You didn't say anything about washing the rest of the walls, replacing and/or cleaning the window coverings and of course cleaning and sanitizing the hvac system.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
I was not sure it was necessary.
The smell does not seem to be from smoking so I assumed the walls did not need it (latex paint.)
Did not do the HVAC.

I was wondering if putting an Ozone generator and closing the house for a few days may do it.

Jamesh921

Name
James
Well, even though I have a box of sample products from Jon-Don, I have not use them yet. BUT, Jon-Don sells a line of products called "FreshWave Natural Odor Eliminator".

This stuff claims to eliminate all types of odors; and it implys that you don't have to find the source, just use their products. It even specifically mentions "mustiness" odors.

If this product works as advertised, you need to go to Jon-Don's website and order some and your problem will be solved.

I'm looking forward to my next stinky, smelly, foul odor from hell house to try this on.

I do have one question tho - Can it be applied thru a Hydroforce? And if so, how many ounces should I ad if I'm metering at 1:4? This is a serious question, so I hope someone from JD can help me with an answer here.

Thanks,
James

PS I should also mention that there are 3 different products;
1) Liquid carpet and upholstery additive
2) Liquid air & surface spray
3) Natural odor eliminator Gel

All 3 products can be used in conjuction with one another OR used seperately - I assume.

SMRBAP

Supportive Member
Name
Anthony
It should - if there is some hidden source, it could return.

Close up the house, turn the hvac fan to on, put a properly sized o3 genny by the cold air return, pop 1 AM in each room pointed up (o3 wants to fall as it's heavier) - set it to run 12 hrs.

Keep in mind things like fridge seals, leather, (not everything is o3 friendly) can be damaged from o3 exposure - empty house, have at it, not an empty house. . . . don't know I'd do it.

You could also rent a hydroxyl genny, harmelss, can breathe it, won't damage much of anything - but it would need to run a great deal longer, probably a half day in each room or better.

Jamesh921

Name
James
Not trying to be competitive ( I haven't even used this product yet) , but FreshWave claims to be a GREEN product with no pet or human interaction problems

BillC

IMO ozone generators are a waste of time.. Try Chemeisters Proliminator. I have used it on many homes that smell like what your describing and it got rid of the musky smell. Before doing so I still recommend washing walls and washing any linens that are in the house. Also turn on the fan in your air/heating unit and spray the Proliminator in your return vents..

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom