how to remove set paint from carpet

ronbeatty

Name
Ron Beatty
Our Church had a theatrical presentation for Christmas. They built an elaborate stage which was painted for the period of Christ birth. It was a good show , but as most artist go they were not to concerned about being careful not to get the paint on the new carpet. It is orange paint on green carpet. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated as this will be a freebie.

joe harper

Name
joe harper
ronbeatty said:
Our Church had a theatrical presentation for Christmas. They built an elaborate stage which was painted for the period of Christ birth. It was a good show , but as most artist go they were not to concerned about being careful not to get the paint on the new carpet. It is orange paint on green carpet. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated as this will be a freebie.

Is it a latex.........or a spray enamel... :?:

Ryan

Pvc cleaner works great on small spots of latex. I keep a couple cans of it in my van.

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Ron,

Because it is new carpet ...I would use any solvent as a LAST resort...

A pic would HELP...

High ph....lots of dwell time...aggitation...175 would be NICE...Several rinses @ high heat

DON'T...try to remove all in one cleaning...you Don't want to delamante th backing...!

Wet-Dry solvent as a Last Resort...!

Ps test a "small area"....by spraying alittle WD-40 on a towel & blott...If you get a
transfer.. :?: This will let you know how effective the wet-dri solvent will work...

The WD-40 contains.."Stoddards"...

CleanEvo

I always have good success with Prochem POG remover. Just don't apply directly to the spot, use a rag and be ready to flush.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
since when has "cured" latex paint ever been water soluble?
sounds like this paint has been down more than a day or two....it's cured by now

Ron, we like d'lime gels for cured latex.
It's not the fastest, but one of the safest in terms of not delaminating the backing

take if off in layers.
drop of gel, plenty dwell, some "gentle" scraping (we use the back of our duck billed napping shears) flush/rinse, repeat as necessary gel/dwell/gentle scrape and flush till all is gone

there are other products that are fast (xylene is one..that's what's in Goof-Off ) but delamination becomes a concern

..L.T.A.

Ron try some Speedball. I used it and a 175 to get orange paint from paintballs on a white carpet. Paint is very difficult to get out no matter what you use.

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
HARPER said:
ronbeatty said:
I would assume it is latex.

You should be able to FLUSH-IT out with high heat & any high PH prespray....

Has it completely dried... :?:

Joe....Florida must have different paint than up North here. Dried latex, especially the dried "blobs" of paint, are near impossible
to remove without a solvent, or PIG .I used PIG, HellGel, and CTI solvent spotter on dried paint , and it took forever to do. Even after heating and flushing with high heat, it's a big PITA. Custys seem to think it ain't nothing to clean up a few paint spills. If it's so easy, why didn't they clean them up right when they dripped the paint? A few drips I don't mind, but when there are a few drops every square foot, it's a huge pain. Using large amounts of liquid solvent on carpet can come back as a big suprise a day later....as in bubbles from latex backing separations.

A very sharp razor blade will handle most drips.

Willy P

Name
Willy P
Acetone. Spray, agitate with spotting brush, rinse. GONE. I just had the same problem at an engineering firm and that method make correction simple and quick.

Edit- Use a respirator and gloves. And if that fails( and it won't) use Goof Off - mostly xylene.

MicahR

Name
Micah Richardson
CTI's Prosolv Gel. Hands down best dried latex spotter.

I've would keep acetone and other solvents, but ProSolv gel beats everything on a consistent basis.

anaroberts12

If the stains are from latex paint then follow these steps to remove them:
* Perform scraping (the method of using a dull tool to gently lift off excess solid or caked-on stains) to remove any excess paint, sponge (the method of using a dampened pad to apply light strokes, moving outward from the center of the stain).
* Then apply a dry spotter to the area and cover with an absorbent pad dampened with dry spotter. Let it stand as long as any stain is being removed.
* Change the pad as it picks up any stain. Keep both the pad and stain moist with dry spotter.
* Flush (the method of applying stain remover to loosen staining material and residue from stain removers) with dry-cleaning solvent and allow to dry.
* If any stain remains, sponge the area with water and apply a wet spotter and a few drops of ammonia. (Avoid ammonia on silk or wool). Cover with an absorbent pad dampened with wet spotter.
* Let it stand as long as any stain is being removed. Change the pad as it picks up the stain. Keep stain and pad moist with wet spotter and ammonia.
* Allow it to thoroughly dry. When treating carpets, be sure to blot excess liquid with a clean absorbent pad.

Regards
Steam Clean

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom