How to remove skids from rx-20

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
Any ideas?. They've been dipped in acidic water for a few hours and no luck. I put the nuts slightly in and bang away but no luck yet. This is an rx that I'm trying to remove the original skids to replace with glides.

Albert

Rex Tyus

Albert Lazo said:
Any ideas?. They've been dipped in acidic water for a few hours and no luck. I put the nuts slightly in and bang away but no luck yet. This is an rx that I'm trying to remove the original skids to replace with glides.

Albert

I really have no specific knowledge of what you speak. But if it is metal and needs to be loosened, a good PB BLAST soaking should do the trick.

Rex Tyus

It is a penetrating lubricant my Grand pappy used on the farm. You should be able to get it at hardware, automotive, or your local Wal-mart store. The farm hands called it monkey piss. I don't know why that was the term but it will soften about any connection. "Liquid wrench" is a good one as well.

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
Back the nuts off to the tops of the threads. Support the upper half of the assembly with a block. Bang the nuts and and pry the skids.

STOP GLOBAL COOLING!

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
I've been beating the crap out of them just as you suggest the whole day, no luck. There's a few soaking in acid and sprayed one with wd40. Didn't have time to look for something similiar to what Rex suggested.

Let me go back and kick their butts again :evil:

Albert

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
Try heating them up a little with a torch? Probably glued at the gasket and crud around the threaded posts.

I beat all mine off except one, which I took a grinder to. Those shoes are tuff! Seem like D2.

STOP GLOBAL COOLING!

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
Thanks, finally got em out. Acid bath, banging, citrus, banging and more banging, propane torch , wd40, banging:lol:
Thing is inside of the threads is hard due to the heavy calcium around here. It doesn't seem like anything you soak it in penetrates. The torch and the banging worked best. My garage smells like burnt rubber from the sizzling of the gaskets.

Albert

R

R W

I'd like to know how to get the damn star off my old style RX. I know they thread on CClockwise, but even with a BIG sledge, and a block of wood, it won't budge! I've tried it right after using (hot), and also cold.....no results.

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
This aint gonna help you, RW, but you gotta lube the threads everytime you spin the star on. A shot of WD40 will do.

STOP GLOBAL COOLING!

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
Damn, that sucks. I guess a propane torch won't do any good since there's no direct contact with the thread. Is the felt on it?.

Albert

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom