how to turn a $130 job into a $200 job

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
Let them know this can be fixed. Homeowner did not know this could be done. Another happy lady.
D86B2C66-D3EE-4E62-8C38-7CA41431F922-4384-000006549DF966A7_zps212c2a3e.jpg

Bill Morgan

Name
Captain Morgan
Nice job Charlie.

Who did you go to for training or did a veteran teach you a few "trade secrets"?
I'd can't wait to attend a rug repair class. I could pick up so much extra money.
Everyone has berber here and pulled rows are everywhere.

Well done.
Bill

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
A while back a guy named Steve Andrews was posting on here. He sent me a DVD he made and I learned from that and from others on here. You might do a search on repairs and do some reading.
Steve also teaches classes on repair. I'm sure any class could show you the basics.
Pulled rows are really easy to fix and they drive homeowners crazy. They love to get them fixed. Same with stretching out wrinkles. They will gladly pay to have them gone.

Reactions: Bill Morgan

Bill Morgan

Name
Captain Morgan
I've seen parts of some of Steve's instructional videos. Very informative. I'll have to re-check
his site and see if he has any deals.
Thanks,
Bill

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
He will be putting on a school June 6-7 in KC.
You might check with your local Interlink and see if he is coming to a store near you.

IICRC Carpet Repair & Re-installation

• Overview of repair and re-installation:
    • Add-on service
    • Self-defense
    • Increased sales of cleaning services
  • Installation and repair tools:
    • An overview of all the repair tools available and a discussion of:
      • Uses
      • Advantages
      • Disadvantages
    • Illustrations and descriptions
  • Major reinstallation tools:
    • Knee kicker
    • Hot melt seaming iron
    • Power stretcher
    • Seam re-stretcher
    • Cool melt seaming iron
  • Supplies:
    • Gain an understanding of:
      • Adhesives
      • Tapes
      • Tackstrip
      • Metal strip
      • Transition metals
  • Carpet Construction:
    • Woven
    • Tufted
    • Knitted
    • ****** bonded
    • Flocked, pile designs
    • Effects on repair capabilities

• Types of installations:
    • A review of the major categories of installation techniques and what effect they have on repair and re-installation.
  • CRI Standard; 104 - 105 Standard industry reference guide:
    • Carpet installation standards established by the Carpet and Rug Institute
  • Stretching diagrams
  • Carpet installation guidelines for indoor air quality:
    • Procedures and repair techniques
  • Carpet repair techniques:
    • Checking a carpet’s nap lay
    • Seam repair
    • Re-tufting
    • Repairing delamination
    • Pile grafting
    • Section from the top:
      • Bonded insert
      • cosmetic transplant
      • Cut and patch
    • Direct glue down permanent section
    • Graphics carpet and step-over tufting
    • Step repair
    • Braided rug repair
    • Buckling
    • Strip and metal repair
    • Reinstallation procedures
  • Definitions of terms

Bill Morgan

Name
Captain Morgan
Can I come and stay at your place Richard?
Ride along with your guys and check out how you run your operation?
I'll bring the lobster.
C'mon.... buddy 'ol pal.

Bill

Bill Morgan

Name
Captain Morgan
No habla espanol. But I know a little pig-latin. Does that count?
I've got fair amount of Italian in me, so I understand enough to get myself in trouble
and a few swear words. I should be fine.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Can I come and stay at your place Richard?
Ride along with your guys and check out how you run your operation?
I'll bring the lobster.
C'mon.... buddy 'ol pal.

Bill
I ain't eating nothing that poops where it lives. Steak will be fine....LOL Actually I prefer a good burger over a steak!

Sure I can squeeze some room for you at my place, the horses won't mind company! :p

I don't think we're all that impressive, just the same as others just a little more of it but if you have the time we'd be glad to have you.

Bill Morgan

Name
Captain Morgan
I ain't eating nothing that poops where it lives. Steak will be fine....LOL Actually I prefer a good burger over a steak! That's fine with me Richard. I'll bet the Steaks and Burgers out there are 100 times better than the road kill we get here.

Sure I can squeeze some room for you at my place, the horses won't mind company! :p Horses?? Wow, I'm getting the red carpet treatment. I thought you were gonna make me sleep with your smelly Boxer pooch.

I don't think we're all that impressive, just the same as others just a little more of it but if you have the time we'd be glad to have you.
I appreciate that very much.

Interlink went out of business. Only JonDon puts on any training seminars. Is Barry Costa any good? He's the instructor scheduled for August in New Hampster.

Bill

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
I am an IICRC Certified Repair and reinstall or whatever they hell they call it and the money is in carpet stretching. You can f up a patch good unless you parctice practice practice. Now every friggin mexican fry cook thinks he is a carpet installer so I see buckles all day long. I have the nice tools for that and a bag full of furniture glides, a kool glide for seams(which works great on ptches , it is cutting I get in trouble unless I cut from the back also have a cookie cutter) and all the other goodies.

Today for example a noon time job cancelled and I was at this awesome customers house and I pointed out all the buckles. She said she wanted them fxed but the other guy she used said she had to move all the furniture out. I said hell no, just the breakables I will take care of everything else. 3 rooms stretched on top of the $210 job comes in at $435.00 3.75 hrs and a very happy and amazed customer. No heavy lifting, no bad cuts, no stress.

Reactions: Bill Morgan

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
I agree Greg. I make tons of extra money on the wrinkles. They were throwing homes together here during the boom and now they are all getting wrinkles. I just got back from a wrinkle job. 45 minutes, $100. No machine running, that's the best part.

hogjowl

Idiot™
I barely have room enough on my van for my cleaning tools and stuff. No way I could carry my power stretcher, seaming iron, tool box and such.

KevinL

Supportive Member
Name
Kevin Leach
I agree with Marty. Got tired of carrying the power stretcher around and had a hell of a time using it. Took Barry's class a couple of years ago and I run into situations all the time that I can't fix. I hate to say it because he's such a nice guy but if he would have spent more time teaching different scenarios instead of bragging about himself we would have been able to cover more stuff. Greg, did you power stretch that carpet or kick it in just a little tighter?

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
power stretch everything. I took the other yeadons class and it was very informative. Learned a lot and tons of tricks. I glide all the furniture and move what I can out. I got about 3 to 4 inches out of one of the rooms yesterday. If there is somethings you run into you can't fix you deserve your money back from the class. it is monkey work

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom