How will our Mom and Pop suppliers survive the newww age?

Mikey P

Administrator
I'm hearing lots of mumbling and grumbling from the small guys that their bread and butter, Juice sales, ain't what it used to be and only getting worse.
Losing sales to online sellers who are willing and able to make a living off of $10 to $20 profit from a case or bucket of suds when Mom and Pop need at least twice that to survive.

Shoe sales, bike parts, fishing reels, baby gear... doesn't matter what a brick and mortar is trying to sell it's the same for all that have to compete with Al Gore's devil baby.
It's the same all over but lets focus on those that are near and dear to us, the guys who fix our trucks, replace our O rings and stay open late so you can swing by and get the one gallon of shampoo for your early AM job you forgot about.

Is the only resort for them to go with private labeled chemicals? Or do like Cobb and start mixing it yourself? We know Larry private labels for many franchises but I wonder if he private labels for any suppliers who can't beat the big boys at their own game..

Good friendly service ain't enough in times like these to keep cleaners loyal to a shop or even a brand. MOST WILL GO FOR THE CHEAPEST OPTION for their favorite brand, and many once loyal broke dicks will go with substandard off brand stuff if need be. I hear Dollar General makes a decent pre spray.:eekk:

What would you reaction be if your the Pop you've been buying your Ultra pack for 20 years from all of a sudden wants you to switch to his new "Mom's Best Silver Bullet" ?

Have you seen other industries combat the net successfully?

Any ideas?

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree
The mom and pop should use their back office for internet marketing their product line and then still provide first class hands on service from their store front to the locals.

Dan

Supportive Member
Name
Dan
I spend less than 100 bucks a year at my local distributors. Been that way for years now. My local big chain is interlink and I'm not a fan of walking in and talking to people who are so far beyond clueless. My other local supplier don't have much and what's on the shelves looks like it has been there for 10 years. Thanks but no thanks I will stick with Cobb and Olson.

Reactions: Weebco

carpetcleaner

Name
Rob Litwin
I have switched to a lot of their private label stuff. They work at least as good as the name brand stuff, cost less, and my supplier makes more $.

The distributors will have to figure out how to survive on less profit on supplies and make more on the service/repair side. Good luck getting your machine fixed over the Internet.

Reactions: Larry Cobb

Dan

Supportive Member
Name
Dan
I have switched to a lot of their private label stuff. They work at least as good as the name brand stuff, cost less, and my supplier makes more $.

The distributors will have to figure out how to survive on less profit on supplies and make more on the service/repair side. Good luck getting your machine fixed over the Internet.

I had only taken 1 machine in for repair 1 time in 12 years and that's because I was brand new to the industry and didnt understand everything and did not have the time to figure out. Needless to say it didn't get fixed and I fixed it myself.

Mikey P

Administrator

Care to share what you're using?

Is it an obvious knock off of another product or something original?

Dan

Supportive Member
Name
Dan
I will also say that for me it's not all about the price but its important. I have to drive 45 minutes each way to Interlink and the small shops here have gone down the tubes. It's more of a convenience. If I had a small shop close by with good products and it didn't look like yesteryears stuff I would shop there...

carpetcleaner

Name
Rob Litwin
Care to share what you're using?

Is it an obvious knock off of another product or something original?

Their products seem to be original. They have their own line of chemicals. I use a few of their products - tile/grout cleaner, enzymes for odor, high pH for trashed commercial. I have a really good relationship with my local distributor, they have been great through the years.

Dmreed4311

Supportive Member
Name
David Reed
My local supplier has become a friend over the last 18 years and I do overpay pay for chems and tools but some things more than others but he has also spent hours on my TMs fixing them when no one could figure out the problem. He will drop what he is doing to put on belts for my TMs when they break in the field. Saving a grand a year will not sway my loyalty.

Reactions: dealtimeman

encapman

Name
Rick Gelinas
I started Excellent Supply out of the garage of my house. But shortly after we moved into a building with a an office and a warehouse. From there we moved into a larger store with some storefront for walk-in trade, nice office area, and warehouse.

In other words we moved in the reverse direction of what you're proposing Mike. We started as an internet only business and grew into a retail channel too. Our primary business still comes from our online business. Yet we have a fair amount of local business that comes into our store too.

I think what sets us apart is our attention to training our staff. Our little team is trained to the max to understand everything related to commercial carpet care. And they take pride in going overboard trying to help people who calls in. So whether it's a walk in or a call in, the customers are going to receive professional service.

So I think it's possible for a supplier to flourish in this "new economy", if they're willing to invest in the training and take the initiative to be proactive to what's happening in the industry and also being willing to embrace the internet.

By the way, here's a photo of our staff (red shirts) taking the ICCRC CCMT class this month.
Training and knowledge goes a long way to providing good customer care.

IICRC-class.jpg

Jeremy

Name
Jeremy
I started Excellent Supply out of the garage of my house. But shortly after we moved into a building with a an office and a warehouse. From there we moved into a larger store with some storefront for walk-in trade, nice office area, and warehouse.

In other words we moved in the reverse direction of what you're proposing Mike. We started as an internet only business and grew into a retail channel too. Our primary business still comes from our online business. Yet we have a fair amount of local business that comes into our store too.

I think what sets us apart is our attention to training our staff. Our little team is trained to the max to understand everything related to commercial carpet care. And they take pride in going overboard trying to help people who calls in. So whether it's a walk in or a call in, the customers are going to receive professional service.

So I think it's possible for a supplier to flourish in this "new economy", if they're willing to invest in the training and take the initiative to be proactive to what's happening in the industry and also being willing to embrace the internet.

By the way, here's a photo of our staff (red shirts) taking the ICCRC CCMT class this month.
Training and knowledge goes a long way to providing good customer care.

IICRC-class.jpg

Hey Rick,
Which one is Jo? She's awesome!

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
other than the occasional office supply and all of our embroidery and biz clothing, we buy everything online from machines to cleaning sol's to accessories.

we haven't purchased anything from a local company in maybe 15 years.

i don't believe there is a distrib in my area anyways...that can't be my fault though.

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Its tough to just service carpet cleaners unless you are in a top 10 market or something. Even sfs is focusing more on restoration and bsc market now, that should be a good warning of the future.

Rick is in a pretty good position because he can sell to corporate, government, contractors, etc.

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
Even sfs is focusing more on restoration and bsc market now, that should be a good warning of the future.
Not so much a "warning", Shane. (Even though thank you for the compliment that we could be prognosticators of a very difficult-to-forecast future.)

Instead, more and more of our Jon-Don customers see the value of the "3-legged stool" in their business- where all three legs synergistically support each other. More and more SFS members are doing at least some restoration and commercial work. We're just responding to their request for more help/resources.

Steve

PS Doesn't your operation have all "three legs" in it, Shane? Heck, I even did an orientation video on the "3-legged stool" concept. Be kind...

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Not so much a "warning", Shane. (Even though thank you for the compliment that we could be prognosticators of a very difficult-to-forecast future.)

Instead, more and more of our Jon-Don customers see the value of the "3-legged stool" in their business- where all three legs synergistically support each other. More and more SFS members are doing at least some restoration and commercial work. We're just responding to their request for more help/resources.

Steve

PS Doesn't your operation have all "three legs" in it, Shane? Heck, I even did an orientation video on the "3-legged stool" concept. Be kind...

More like a lopsided stool... office cleaning,commmercial and distant 3rd residential.

I need everything pre-planned can't take the day to day changes of restoration, at least today.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Personally I think the mom and pop joints are going to survive better then the bigger named places.........

Mom and pop knows what it is like..they are about the same as us when it comes to making a buck and surviving another year....just like us..keeping there customers happy is goal #1......

the big name places work off volume and over priced...cheaper made parts......the economy is not going to go back to the way it was....and I am not 100% sure we are even at a new normal yet....but most are finally getting penny wise and watching what we buy and from where........how long it is going to last and how far it will go..is starting to turn heads.....and the mom and pops are the ones picking up the slack....

Lint Basket

Name
Scott Mckay
Wal-Mart the Internet. "Hey Jack", this is America.

If you own your own business then it is your job to get product as direct from the supplier as possible. If there are middlemen involved you will not be as competitive. Thats not carpet cleaning, thats business.

I'd Cobb up if I was a middleman.

If I was as big as Stanley Steamer I'd invest in producing or private labeling my own product line.

Vivers

Supportive Member
Name
Bill
The shop that will never go out of business are the ones that can service our TM's. So the the supplier shops that don't provide service are the only ones that will be in the most trouble. They might want to think about add the division to their business. We will always need our TM's fixed when problems occur. It's much more convenient for me to drive to my local supplier to pick up anything I need, then to wait for products to be shipped to me any day. I sincerely hope our mom and papas never leave, they just need to grow bigger and adjust things to continue to stay in business.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom