How would YOU clean this....

Mikey P

Administrator
All Cotton construction. No backing., Lots of loose "threads" sticking out.

New @ Cost Plus $125

cottonrug001.jpg

cottonrug002.jpg

cottonrug003.jpg

Rub bagger then bioclean and acid rince 3 dry strokes and hang dry it with a air mover.

Forgot to take the most important step. Checkmate secret, Spray the living crap out of it with coffee tannin.

Chads

Supportive Member
Heres Chads redneck version
1 get you one of those 55 gallon barrels or a trash can
2 fill it up with water hot or cold who gives a poop
3 throw some of that Mexiacan soap in there that they use on there luandry, ask Chavez
4 put that stupid rug in there bucket of soapy water
5 get you a old broom handle mix it around for awile
6 pull out and dry over the clothes line
7 now if the rug starts turning colors and water starts looking funny pick out your favorate color dye and throw in the bucket and slosh it around.
8 explain to the custy that you thought they said to clean and dye it a better color then tell them get down there and smell that rug it smells great.

I cleaned a rug very similar to the one in your picture. Only the one I cleaned was soaked with urine. To clean it I soaked it with a bio-enzyme and let it sit overnight. The next day I rinsed the rug thoroughly with a hose and flooded the rug and used a water-claw to extract the rug. I repeated this procedure three times then dried it with fans. Do not try to use a wand as it will not clean it as thoroughly as flooding it and extracting with a waterclaw. Nothing fancy but great results.

Mikey P

Administrator
danielc said:
I cleaned a rug very similar to the one in your picture. Only the one I cleaned was soaked with urine. To clean it I soaked it with a bio-enzyme and let it sit overnight. The next day I rinsed the rug thoroughly with a hose and flooded the rug and used a water-claw to extract the rug. I repeated this procedure three times then dried it with fans. Do not try to use a wand as it will not clean it as thoroughly as flooding it and extracting with a waterclaw. Nothing fancy but great results.

I like that idea.

hogjowl

Idiot™
The soft grey brushes on the GLS make a very good scrubber for that rug, Mikey. Soak it in your driveway with upholstery prespray, scrub it with the GLS and hose it off with your garden hose. Then suck it dry with your hole glide and hang it up to dry.

If you have a dirt driveway you're screwed.

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
Take it to the laundromat. Those rugs clean up better in a washing machine than they do by wanding them.

hogjowl

Idiot™
Doug Cox said:
Take it to the laundromat. Those rugs clean up better in a washing machine than they do by wanding them.

I started to suggest that, myself. But the rug looked a bit big to get in the largest front loader I've seen. May be not ...

Mikey P

Administrator
The problem with this thing is that there are hundreds if not thousands of loose ends (as you can see in the 2nd pic) that will pop out of the weave if overly agitated or "sucked".

We actually put it in the commercial wet washer.

KevinD

Name
Kevin Dumas
Mikey P said:
The problem with this thing is that there are hundreds if not thousands of loose ends (as you can see in the 2nd pic) that will pop out of the weave if overly agitated or "sucked".
We actually put it in the commercial wet washer.

That's what I would have done. I own a laundry with some large front load commercial washers.
Works nice for a lot of rugs. Gentle agitation.
Another laundry in town has some 100 - 250 lb washers for larger work and walk off mats.
Another just installed a commercial washer so large you and six of your biggest buddies could have a party inside this washer standing up.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
danielc wrote:

I like that idea.
And this process can be done profitably for less than $125?

Not all cotton reversibles that look like this are cheap, there's one line on the market that retails for the same per-foot price as an Oriental rug. They bleed easily (right on your wand line if you extract them) and lose a lot of color if you wash them. The only answer for these if the customer doesn't want the faded look is to dry clean them.

I actually went to a customers home right before the holidays to clean some area rugs on location. One of the rugs was so thin and had rips and tears in it that I could not clean it with the wand. The rug also had a lot of pet urine in it. I decided not to clean it. The customer told me to please clean it and do what I could. I told her if I took it to my shop, I could use a special procedure that would clean the rug and not damage it for 125. The rug by the way is the ugliest rag looking thing you have ever seen. The customer was given the rug and did not pay for it.

I cleaned it with the procedure I mentioned earlier and it smells like a new rug.

I called the woman the other day and told her the rug was ready, and she said "you can keep the rug, I have decided that I don't want it." She then hung up and I have not been able to contact her. She changed her mind and now she doesn't want to pay for it.

I haven't decided what I am going to do. I didn't work too hard on the rug. The day I was at her house before the holidays she spent 300 dollars and she has plenty of money.

I guess I am going to call her one more time and tell her I can't keep the rug and will be bringing it back to her regardless if she wants it or not.

If that doesn't work, it looks like my dog will have a new bedding material.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
We call them rag rugs, just wait until you see the ones made out of denim!

We had one in last year that was made out of Men's ties, the women said he father had kept all the ties he had ever owned and she made a rag rug of them.

I'd like to turn them down but everyone steers them to us, when it's something difficult or no one wants to deal with it, we usually end up with it.

Rag rugs are a real pain to clean. We don't wash them, we have a commercial front load washer and dryer, but I'd be afraid of splitting the stitching or loosening up the knots.

We clean them flat with either a a Steam Genie drag wand or a glided wand and then drag over it to remove as much moisture as possible.

We usually do them as the last rug of the day, clean them and let them dry flat, then at the end of the following day clean the other side. They can stretched when hung wet, so to avoid that problem we just clean them flat.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
I cleaned one of them in a commercial washer earlier this year and a section of the rug fell apart. (I Had to re-weave the section)The fabric is not continuous. That is why there are loose ends. Better to flood with minimum agitation and dry flat.

G

Mikey,
You did'nt like the DRY FOAM or Dry STEAM ideal, so had to delete my response :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom