hydrocell replaced with cat 3cp

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I have a older Hydramaster CDS that uses the old style hydrocell pump. The pump needs to be rebuilt or replaced. I have a Cat 3CP which seems to be what Hydramaster is now using. Has anyone done the conversion? Need any special brackets or hardware? What's your preference? Keep the old hydrocell and rebuild or replace?

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Price the kit for the Hydrocell and decide if the work is worth the savings. My opinion: Comets and Hydrocells should just be tossed.

The Cat 290 was a "never replace" pump, the Cat CPs not so much, and their rebuild kit costs as much as replacement.

IF you're going the replacement route, get a General Emperor HT series, which is what Hydramaster has been using for the past ten years. They're a never replace pump.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Price the kit for the Hydrocell and decide if the work is worth the savings. My opinion: Comets and Hydrocells should just be tossed.

The Cat 290 was a "never replace" pump, the Cat CPs not so much, and their rebuild kit costs as much as replacement.

IF you're going the replacement route, get a General Emperor HT series, which is what Hydramaster has been using for the past ten years. They're a never replace pump.
Thanks Bryan, the rebuild will be aprox $600-$800cdn. Replacement will involve new mounts so it looks to be quite pricer. I have a cat 290 on one of my other trucks. Over 20 years old and never been rebuilt. Still works great.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Pro...The Hydrocell is cheaper than cheap to rebuild plus you won't have ta put a damper
On it....
Con....the hydrocell only does 800 psi
A 1000 if you wanna push it

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Pro...The Hydrocell is cheaper than cheap to rebuild plus you won't have ta put a damper
On it....
Con....the hydrocell only does 800 psi
A 1000 if you wanna push it
Thanks Bawb, the heat exchangers are only rated for about 600 psi so that's ok. This pump has lasted almost 20 years so rebuilding it will probably outlast the unit now.

scotty747

I rebuilt a cat 290 because I let it freeze. That was 15 years ago. I have three on a shelf in case it finally goes but it just keeps on running like new. Also fed it with a hose for a few years before I knew that it is designed to draw not be fed.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I finally got my cds back. Had the existing pump rebuilt then discovered a pin hole leak in one of the heat exchangers. Luckily, I has a replacement set in the shop. Cost me $1200 for all the repairs. The pump works excellent now and using it today, my temperature was steady at 215 degrees f. Love my little cds.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom