Hydrofluoric Acid

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
I have heard allot of horror stories about property damage and personal injury with this stuff. Personally I have never had a problem. I use Wink brand and take reasonable precautions. Do you use Hydrofluoric? If not then what do you use on rust? If so, do you always neutralize?

leesenter

There is no small package exemption on the transport of hydrofluoric acid in Canada, its just that dangerous.
Prochem's Rust Remover Gel turns into hydrofluoric acid when it mixes with the moisture left in the carpet. Much safer to have around.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
Is that why it worked so well?! Sure better than T Rust

I'm using TSR that I got from Les. Its a tannin stain remover, good for all the other spots too. Does a pretty good job on rust, the bigger spots take some agitation, but its sure better than HF acid. Nasty stuff.
Watched an episode of ER where a guy came in who had been sprayed with the stuff. Killed him. Nothing they could do to stop it. In real life, wouldn't want to try it.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
When I started in this business,
Erusticator was the answer to removing rust.

It had a few % of HF acid.

I used it for over 10 years, without ever having a single problem.

Then the lawyers decided it was an "easy case".

The manufacturer was sued repeatedly.

The product line was sold to another company.

Then the product was taken off the market.

Now, formulators have taken many years...
to achieve the same results.

Larry

Askal

RIP
Name
Al
Crystal Clear 550 from Winsol Lab in Oregon. We have used it for years without any problems. Very strict procedure. The bottle (4 oz) is in your hand or on the truck out of reach to anyone under 5' tall. If it is needed it is taken off the truck, applied, rinsed, neutralized and rinsed again then put back on the truck. gloves worn of course. We also use it on waterspots in window cleaning and go through about 10 gallons a year. Oh yeah, don't forget truck mounts are dangerous: Don't inhale the exhaust or stick your hand in the belts when it is running. Don't even get me started on the dangers of using electric powered tools when standing on wet carpet.
Al

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
As far as I can tell Novell laundry Rust remover is the same or close to erusticator. When I was a young lad, I use to carry the erusticator bottles in my pocket back to the van until I burned both my legs from doing so. Now I am very careful in transporting or just where I put it down.

Jose Smith

Hydroflouric acid removes rust very well, but there might be some better (and safer) products out there.

Rust is caused by the oxidation of metals (iron) during corrosion. Since all acids are reducers, they strip the color caused by the oxidation. Therefore, any acid will work. Some quicker than others. Although, hydroflouric works very quickly, ammonium biflouride rust removers will work almost as quickly and are slightly safer. Oxalic is even safer but may be a little harder to find.

The most important thing is to rinse whatever reducer (acid) you use.

Jose Smith

B&BGaryC

Name
B&BGaryC
Askal said:
Crystal Clear 550 from Winsol Lab in Oregon. We have used it for years without any problems. Very strict procedure. The bottle (4 oz) is in your hand or on the truck out of reach to anyone under 5' tall. If it is needed it is taken off the truck, applied, rinsed, neutralized and rinsed again then put back on the truck. gloves worn of course. We also use it on waterspots in window cleaning and go through about 10 gallons a year. Oh yeah, don't forget truck mounts are dangerous: Don't inhale the exhaust or stick your hand in the belts when it is running. Don't even get me started on the dangers of using electric powered tools when standing on wet carpet.
Al

I've been jolted by an RX-20 before. Just once. It was an old tired RX, but enough to make you think twice. I just pulled mine off my truck and switched with the other guy.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom