I am taking the IICRC class next week.

I have never really had any desire to take the class. My supplier talked me into taking the class, and I thought yes it can't hurt to be certified. When I turned loose of the money it felt like I just made a donation to the BBB (money that could have been spent on something more rewarding).

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
There is no harm in taking a class and you will learn something, or at least refresh your memory. As for it having any meaning outside of our little circle of carpet cleaners, it's like pouring a teaspoon of water in the ocean.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
You've already been around long enough you may not learn a lot, but it's still worth having for those customers that might ask.

Education is always worth it if you take it serious. The money, look at it as the cost of doing business.

billyeadon

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Yeadon
One of the benefits of taking a class is networking with the other students. You may meet someone who can help you out in the long run.
Consider it like this board except with meeting people in the flesh. They may be very different from their board personas.

Name
Lee Stockwell
Bill you can only hope most are different than their "board personalities"..

I think classes are wasted on very green newbies, but probably great after a while in the trenches. Long enough to ask the right questions, and not mindlessly accept everything said.

DEMAND hands-on teaching as well.

Thanks,
Lee

hogjowl

Idiot™
I've been doing this for 22 years and decided to go back last years and take the CC class. I let my license expire something like 15 years ago. I learned absolutely nothing new, was bored stiff the whole time.

That's not because the material was bad. Nor, was it because the instructor was bad. Both were great. It's just that I spent the intervening years on these boards and my retention rate of the material was at it's peak just from being around these boards.

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
enjoy the class, ask lots of questions, annoy your instructor. Don't waste your time taking the test, the certification is worthless.

randy

Name
Randy
Charles Lyman said:
enjoy the class, ask lots of questions, annoy your instructor. Don't waste your time taking the test, the certification is worthless.

Now how can you say IICRC certification is worthless. The IICRC's famous study proved that less than 1% of consumers had ever heard of the IICRC. That means almost 1% of your market probably has heard of the IICRC. So if the IICRC has their way, you can only possibly hope for a 99% market penetration. :lol:

-JB-

Name
JB
post back when ur done let us know if ya thought ya learnt anything wood ya?

After debating whether I should go through with the class and waste two days or take the class, I decided to go ahead and take the class. I know it is probably a waste of time, but there have been times in the past when doing an ad or post card that I wanted to say how certified I was. Now I will be able to do it and it can't hurt. I will give you my honest opinion of the class. I am sure I will learn some stuff. Whether I can use it is debatable.

juniorc82

Supportive Member
Name
Jon Coret
I cant believe that some people think taking cert. classes are a waste of time. I would have to say earning my master textile cleaner credential as well all the other certs. had to be the best investment I made for my business. I cant belive there are still people operating without any type of formal training. I read on a thread a copuple weeks back about water jobs, I definatly would not do any water losses without taking the wrt and amrt cert . but I guess when u run a tm knowing how to clean isnt a necsesity. But in a dollars and cents world the iicrc classes have helped me make more money by schooling me on add on services and networking plus I offer several more services than when I first started. I recomend taking as many classes as possible

Spurling

Be nice to say in court, "Yes Judge, I am certified and know exactly what Im doing on each and every job." (gives you credibility)

Ive had customers ask if I were certified because the carpet manufacturer/store stated only to use a certified cleaner to keep within the warranty.. so better to be than not to be ..

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
I'm admittedly not objective regarding this issue, but from the perspective of ATTENDING classes (not in my role in teaching them), I take the responsibility upon myself to get something out of every learning experience.

Things you should learn (and ask about if its not addressed during class)

Facts: The latest information on Triexta, combination surfactant technology, ways to use oxidizers and reducers properly (and how IMPROPER use can cause huge problems!), etc. are all things that we are only now scratching the surface on in our industry. And whether or not you agree with the position, why major carpet manufacturers hate oxidizers, citrus solvents, and most rotary scrubbing devices.

Tips and Techniques: Few of us are using every possible tool or technique to the best of our ability. Even if you choose not to use a method, knowing other methods of cleaning thoroughly (not superficially) helps you when you are questioned by a prospect or referral source about alternate methods.

Stuff you learn from other students: NEVER sit with people you know. Having the opportunity to meet and talk to cleaners who are not your competitors and will speak freely about their own experiences is priceless.

All good reasons to come to MF6 in Nashville too.

randy

Name
Randy
Spurling said:
Be nice to say in court, "Yes Judge, I am certified and know exactly what Im doing on each and every job." (gives you credibility)

Ive had customers ask if I were certified because the carpet manufacturer/store stated only to use a certified cleaner to keep within the warranty.. so better to be than not to be ..

Even the manufacturers have told dealers to stop saying that. Use of a non-certified cleaner can't void a warranty, that is a violation anti-trust laws ( specifically the Magnuson-Moss warranty Act) . Several State attorney generals have made that quite clear to Shaw & Mohawk.

Manufacturers can't require you to use a certain method, chemical, or approved machine. Recently I read a current Mohawk warranty and it said hot water extraction, dry powder agitation, and bonnet cleaning are all methods of professional cleaners. They no longer require certified techs, CRI approved equipment or a particular method for warranty purposes, because it violates Federal Law. They knew the lawsuits were coming and they corrected their illegal requirements.

Take the classes but IICRC certification is a waste of money. With every cert the price of maintaining you "credentials" goes up. If you have all of the certifications, you are looking at over $500 annually to renew.

That is why many long term cleaners have dropped IICRC certification, it just doesn't do much for your business. The whole I'm certified defense in court is a joke. I have never seen that get a cleaner off where there is liability. Any lawyer doing a bit of research could easily impeach IICRC standards, very easily. It has been done. The "standards" can be turned against you. "Mr Carpet cleaner, you claim to be an IICRC certified tech, why didn't you vacuum the carpet before cleaning?
Do you own a pile lifter ? How long have you been in business ? What are the educational credentials of the persons that created the IICRC standards ? Do you even know who these people even are ? How many of them have formal education in chemistry, backgrounds in the carpet industry. How many of them even graduated from college ?
Mr. carpet cleaner, you don't seem to know much about this IICRC or where these standards even came from. Your excused. Judge I would now like to call Mr. twenty five year cleaning expert to the stand to clear up a few things that this IICRC certified technician with 4 years experience brought up.

juniorc82

Supportive Member
Name
Jon Coret
actually several people that even frequent this board helped create the industry standard that the iicrc follows today. I would like to see you question someone like barry costa for example of his expertise or qualifications. speaking of which wheres all your info? I see you questioning everyone else why isnt any of your info on here for the room to see, what is your qualifications? As far as the classes being useless , I will admit that some classes have been more usefull than others. And yes iicrc industry standard has been the determining factor in court and following the various iicrc industry standards will help you avoid many liabilitys. If the iicrc didnt know what they were talking about in a business filled with liability why are insurance adjusters being sent constantly to iicrc classes to help them with their job? As far as why bigger companies arent sending techs to classes I want to know your source of that information because at jondon classes are always sold out and peole come from hundreds of miles away to attend. And as far as not helping my business I advertise that I am a certified master textile cleaner and get several jobs because of that alone oh and my dues are well below the 500 per year you described. I am not an advocate for the iicrc and have attended educational functions heald by differant groups so I believe in formal training no matter who the class is by. I respectfully disagree with your statement and believe that taking part in iicrc classes for both the owners and employers is a huge asset and I have saw these classes make a huge positive impact in my profits. So why dont you tell us about you and where you are getting this false information from that you are posting on here.
randy said:
Spurling said:

Even the manufacturers have told dealers to stop saying that. Use of a non-certified cleaner can't void a warranty, that is a violation anti-trust laws ( specifically the Magnuson-Moss warranty Act) . Several State attorney generals have made that quite clear to Shaw & Mohawk.

Manufacturers can't require you to use a certain method, chemical, or approved machine. Recently I read a current Mohawk warranty and it said hot water extraction, dry powder agitation, and bonnet cleaning are all methods of professional cleaners. They no longer require certified techs, CRI approved equipment or a particular method for warranty purposes, because it violates Federal Law. They knew the lawsuits were coming and they corrected their illegal requirements.

Take the classes but IICRC certification is a waste of money. With every cert the price of maintaining you "credentials" goes up. If you have all of the certifications, you are looking at over $500 annually to renew.

That is why many long term cleaners have dropped IICRC certification, it just doesn't do much for your business. The whole I'm certified defense in court is a joke. I have never seen that get a cleaner off where there is liability. Any lawyer doing a bit of research could easily impeach IICRC standards, very easily. It has been done. The "standards" can be turned against you. "Mr Carpet cleaner, you claim to be an IICRC certified tech, why didn't you vacuum the carpet before cleaning?
Do you own a pile lifter ? How long have you been in business ? What are the educational credentials of the persons that created the IICRC standards ? Do you even know who these people even are ? How many of them have formal education in chemistry, backgrounds in the carpet industry. How many of them even graduated from college ?
Mr. carpet cleaner, you don't seem to know much about this IICRC or where these standards even came from. Your excused. Judge I would now like to call Mr. twenty five year cleaning expert to the stand to clear up a few things that this IICRC certified technician with 4 years experience brought up.

Name
Nate W.
FCC said:
Money would be better spent on strippers and liquor .....or something else "rejuvenating".....but that is just my opinion

Why pay for it when I get it for free? Little black book keeps me happy. 8)

I stay away from strip clubs unless I am going with a group of people and I am good and drunk. If I had read Randy's post a day earlier I would have canceled my spot. Yep I wasted that 200.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
The one thing about having the certification is that you can say you have it.
There are 2 cleaners in my area, one that has been cleaning for over 20 yrs, and he knows a small fraction of just what's taught in the CCT class, let alone the Uph or colour repair, or any of the other classes req for Master Cert.
The other cleaner took a course at the local college. Again, he would be saying H Sht at what's taught at a CCT class. He was being taught janitorail cleaning.

I went into this class with a positive attitude and tried to have fun. I didn't learn much but can say I learned a little. Most of the people taking the class were jan-san cleaners and there was a woman that owns a maid service or home cleaning business. My instructor was from Atlanta and I asked about Greg Cole. He replied Greg is a really nice guy and has a great business. Go figure. I guess Greg is a cool guy to have so many contractors work for him. Back to the class I learned a shocker.

Microban, Quat disentectant, Sproricidin, Fabric Softeners and anything with cationic surfactants are bad for 5th gen nylon carpet. I didn't know that.

I also got all the cookies and pizza I could eat. :D

billyeadon

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Yeadon
I have about 10 of Gregs techs in my CCT class today in Atlanta. They were all very attentive. We have a wide selection of franchises in class including a 25 year Chem Dry owner. This is the first time we are running a 3 day CCT. We will spend more time than normal in hands on.

Hope you enjoy your class.

Greg Cole

Name
Greg
billyeadon said:
I have about 10 of Gregs techs in my CCT class today in Atlanta. They were all very attentive. We have a wide selection of franchises in class including a 25 year Chem Dry owner. This is the first time we are running a 3 day CCT. We will spend more time than normal in hands on.

Hope you enjoy your class.

I have spoken highly of Bill for years and I guess they were listening! If they bring him a set of stilts - you know they were REALLY listening!
The 3 day class was a great idea- the hands on part really sold people on taking the class. The fact that you had it during the slowest month of the year sold it even more!
If you have it here in January next year - I am confident you can pack it out again!

Ok so you want my opinion of the IICRC class after spending the last two days taking it. Well here it is.

It was a complete waste of time and 250 dollars. Well I did eat like a king for two days.

Most of the people taking it were janitors and even a maid that provides house cleaning. None of these people have any experience cleaning carpet but they can spit shine a urinal in 30 seconds flat. Guess what. According to the IICRC they are as qualified to clean carpet as me.

Will I benefit from taking the class and being certified. It can't hurt to say I have some formal training. I would never in a million years expect to get business just because I am certified. I think I can make it work to my advantage.

Greg Cole

Name
Greg
danielc said:
Ok so you want my opinion of the IICRC class after spending the last two days taking it. Well here it is.

It was a complete waste of time and 250 dollars. Well I did eat like a king for two days.

Most of the people taking it were janitors and even a maid that provides house cleaning. None of these people have any experience cleaning carpet but they can spit shine a urinal in 30 seconds flat. Guess what. According to the IICRC they are as qualified to clean carpet as me.

Will I benefit from taking the class and being certified. It can't hurt to say I have some formal training. I would never in a million years expect to get business just because I am certified. I think I can make it work to my advantage.
Weren't you the guy that was sleeping through the class?

CanYouHemiNow

I took the CCT class last week and I learned what I expected... the very basics. Oh yeah, the grub was good and plentiful. And another 'oh yeah' the instructor, Cutshall I think his name was, very entertaining and seemed to know what he was talking about.

Was it worth the $240 + $50 test fee? I guess so. I have heard alot of guys on these boards say, "I been cleaning carpets for 27 years and ain't nobody ever asked iffin I was certified." My theory is that while potential custys might never ASK if you are "certified", that little green box on your website or van certainly gets noticed occasionaly by Mrs Piffleton when she is trying to decide whether to call you or someone else. She might not know what it means but my guess would be if her choice was between a "certified" cleaner and a non-certified cleaner, all other things being equal, she's going with the "certified".

I figure if you only got one more job in 27 years because of that little green box... then the damn thing paid for itself.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :p

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom