I am taking the IICRC class next week.

juniorc82

Supportive Member
Name
Jon Coret
Dan I can understand that the carpet cleaning class is a bit mickey mouse and I guess a bit remidial in a sense. My question to you is I see that you do restoration . Are you certified in any areas of restoration? The iicrc restoration classes i took helped me alot and made me wonder how someone non certified in disaster restoration could even atempt to do that work.

I clean tile and grout, oriental rugs, upholstery, and yes do some water damge restoration and hold no certifications in those areas. I get what you are saying. I remember a conversation with a respected cleaner in my area a few years ago about certification classes. His response was that they gave him confidence which he felt would lead to a more professional service and higher prices. I see you are more confident and that is a good thing. Let me rephrase my thoughts. For someone new that doesn't have almost a decade of cleaning experience and a year and a half of mb experience to boot then the IICRC class would be a great benefit to that person. The problem I had was I knew the majority of the content. I did learn how carpet was made and manufactured. I guess that will come in handy one day. Am I glad I took the class? Yes, but I know whether I took the class or not it wasn't going to affect me.

Here is the problem I have with the IICRC. They claim that if a consumer doesn't use an IICRC certified cleaner it will void their warranty or they will in the future. How many carpet's have been replaced? I am guessing very few. Even the instructor said the things they would honor was about a page long, but the things they would not cover in the warranty was as thick as a phone book. They use it as a scare tactic to get you to take the class or atleast they did that to me. This debate could go on and on. The class and IICRC are good for the industry along with other things.

billyeadon

Supportive Member
Name
Bill Yeadon
From an instructors viewpoint. When you attended your formal schooling everyone in the first grade was about the same age. A few kids may have been smarter but most were about the same.

Last week I had 27 people in a CCT class. One guy had owned a very successful franchise and was taking the class only as a prerequisite and finished his exam in about 25 minutes. For him the class was really just a review. For many of the others this was their first training.

The problem for the instructor is at what level do you teach. If I go for the basics then the veterans are bored if I talk about the differences between 6 and 6.6 nylon fiber the newbies glaze over. It is a major balancing act.

From the students perspective sitting in a room for 2 days when you are used to being very active is a tough activity.

As for warranties my job is to explain what is going on with the SOA and other issues. What you do with that information is up to you but ignorance is expensive. I try to explain that certain mills such as Tandus do not want a Cimex used on trheir carpet. I certainly don't agree with this stipulation but I don't make the rules. We talk about the new SmartStrand fibers and explain how they are different and what is true and what is a lot of marketing.

I have always felt that one of the best things about a class is the networking on the new ideas you are exposed to from the other students. If you are going to spend 2 days make sure you use them wisely.

Greg Cole

Name
Greg
billyeadon said:
From an instructors viewpoint. When you attended your formal schooling everyone in the first grade was about the same age. A few kids may have been smarter but most were about the same.

Last week I had 27 people in a CCT class. One guy had owned a very successful franchise and was taking the class only as a prerequisite and finished his exam in about 25 minutes. For him the class was really just a review. For many of the others this was their first training.

The problem for the instructor is at what level do you teach. If I go for the basics then the veterans are bored if I talk about the differences between 6 and 6.6 nylon fiber the newbies glaze over. It is a major balancing act.

From the students perspective sitting in a room for 2 days when you are used to being very active is a tough activity.

As for warranties my job is to explain what is going on with the SOA and other issues. What you do with that information is up to you but ignorance is expensive. I try to explain that certain mills such as Tandus do not want a Cimex used on trheir carpet. I certainly don't agree with this stipulation but I don't make the rules. We talk about the new SmartStrand fibers and explain how they are different and what is true and what is a lot of marketing.

I have always felt that one of the best things about a class is the networking on the new ideas you are exposed to from the other students. If you are going to spend 2 days make sure you use them wisely.

I heard you did a great job! And the consensus is in - they all thought you are taller than Barry! :?

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Being the bearer of unpleasant truths is among the least rewarding parts of being a trainer in this industry.

I think that every student should know the rules and guidelines set by carpet manufacturers, fiber producers, other groups such as Wool Safe, as well as the ever evolving "green issues".

It doesn't mean we instructors support or even agree with them; in most cases we don't. But by being informed of the issues and potential consequences, each individual company can make decisions that are in their own best interests. This type of "product regulatory" pressure exists strongest in commercial establishments, where the total expense of the carpet investment is higher, and the desire to deflect (or inflict) performance responsibility on others would be the greatest.

Ultimately the great thing about owning ones own business is that you have the choice to do things in the way that you wish. Those choices are more easily made when you have the best information possible to make decisions that are in yours and your customers' best interests.

CanYouHemiNow

Jim Pemberton said:
Being the bearer of unpleasant truths is among the least rewarding parts of being a trainer in this industry.

I think that every student should know the rules and guidelines set by carpet manufacturers, fiber producers, other groups such as Wool Safe, as well as the ever evolving "green issues".

It doesn't mean we instructors support or even agree with them; in most cases we don't. But by being informed of the issues and potential consequences, each individual company can make decisions that are in their own best interests. This type of "product regulatory" pressure exists strongest in commercial establishments, where the total expense of the carpet investment is higher, and the desire to deflect (or inflict) performance responsibility on others would be the greatest.

Ultimately the great thing about owning ones own business is that you have the choice to do things in the way that you wish. Those choices are more easily made when you have the best information possible to make decisions that are in yours and your customers' best interests.

Well said, Mr P!

Does anyone know what I can use to get the brown off my nose?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom