I did my first hard surface cleaning job a few days ago

Bryce C

Name
Bryce
It was actually my best paying overall job yet, 2 sweet old ladies in a senior citizens community that wanted all of their carpet, upholstery, and tile floors cleaned. When we first spoke on the phone I realized if I didn't offer everything they were asking for I'd likely lose out on my biggest paying job yet. So I did some research on hard surface cleaning, got some basics together, and went for it. It went well, broke the ice for me. However I am not advertising that service until I become a bit more equipped and knowledgeable.

Hard surface cleaning is a gateway to new business, higher tickets with existing clients, and another good reason for them to not look anywhere else for cleaning services. I'm heading to Mike and Bryan's multi-surface training in December but I cannot wait until then to be equipped and start offering basic hard surfacing cleaning services. So I'm learning what I can online and practicing wherever I safely can. I imagine I'll learn so much more having several months of experience when I get to Texas anyway.

With all that said I have been going back through old posts here, digging through Mike's YT channel and manual, and speaking to suppliers. However further information on surface id, appropriate chems and Ph for the various surfaces, spot treatment methods, and more seems to be sparse, at least compared to carpet, upholstery, and rug cleaning. Mike's YT channel and manual has been the most helpful so far. Really great stuff. But I still have questions... Any informational resources that folks are willing to share? Should I just pay for an online course for now then go get experiential training later this December? Thoughts? Thanks!

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Just a few thoughts from my experience:

Just like with textile cleaning, the more you know about the floor, the better the job will be, and the less complaints you'll have.

The most common question I get from "cleaners in trouble on the job" are related to problems with the wrong floor finish that had previously been applied by the homeowner, their house cleaner, or in the case of commercial services, the janitor or building service contractor.

Take your time, identify the floor, check for improper installation, and always ALWAYS test for pre-existing floor finishes, color sealers, etc. (Mop & Glo use constitutes a "floor finish" by the way).

Do not trust your customers' memory or overlook their tendency to mendacity when it comes to any knowledge that they have about prior care.

Always test.

• Love
Reactions: Mikey P and Bryce C

Bryce C

Name
Bryce
Excellent tips thanks Jim. And I learned a new word. Mendacity is a gentleman like way to refer to liars, I like it.

Is this one area where acid chems come in handy by removing previous finishes? And another way that folks get into trouble by using strong acids on things that contain calcium carbonate? Seems like scratch and cleaning solution tests would be as helpful here as it is with burn tests on rugs and upholstery.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Excellent tips thanks Jim. And I learned a new word. Mendacity is a gentleman like way to refer to liars, I like it.

Is this one area where acid chems come in handy by removing previous finishes? And another way that folks get into trouble by using strong acids on things that contain calcium carbonate? Seems like scratch and cleaning solution tests would be as helpful here as it is with burn tests on rugs and upholstery.

I guess I liked the alliterative feel that memory and mendacity created...and sadly, to quote a phrase from car salesman (a group known for mendacity themselves) "Buyers are Liars"

Unkind, but too often true.

Acids don't remove finish; but as finishes prevent the foaming reaction that occurs when they contact cementious grout, they do help to reveal it.

Reactions: Bryce C

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Mendacity is a tendency to lie. Your friend might swear that he didn't eat your secret chocolate stash, but you'll find it hard to believe him if he's known for his mendacity. Anyone in the habit of lying frequently has the characteristic of mendacity.

1713539024704.png

..L.T.A.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom