I have money for either a zipper or a crb

juniorc82

Supportive Member
Name
Jon Coret
I am selling an auto scrubber so I think I will spend that loot on a crb pr zipper. I have the tennis elbow thing going on and a bad shoulder so the zipper would make the most sense. However I love how the crb agitates and the 175 and rx 20 are hard on that bad shoulder getting up the steps.... decisions decisions. I do a lot of commercial and empty realestate Im kinda leaning towards the zipper. Just hard to spend that kind of jack either way this time of year

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Jon;

While the Zipper is an excellent machine built by a machinist . . .

I think a good Cylindrical Brush machine would agitate and stand up the pile much better.

Using encapsulation chemistry,

it can do complete cleans for a lower contract price point than extraction.

Cyl. Brush + Extraction @ intervals is the best method for commercial cleaning.

Larry

juniorc82

Supportive Member
Name
Jon Coret
I only cimex or in a moment of desperation I will padcap larry. I have not liked the results I have saw as crb being a stand alone for encap. it soes one hell of a job scrubbing though. On the other hand Ieric has lowered the price of a zipper which for a few hundred more than what you would spend a glided prochem titanium you can now get his super wand. I do a lot of commercial and vacants so the zipper is looking nice right abiout now

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Zipper, it will make it easier on you, do a good job and leave it drier.

CRB is a great tool but it sounds like the Zipper would be a better first choice. You can always pickup a good used CRB off Craigslist or Ebay if you still have a need for one.

Name
I'm Rick James
Man I wish I took some before and after pics of a RESIDENTIAL encap job I did today with a CRB.. it looked AMAZING! I didn't even break a sweat..

I think the juice you have been using with the cimex was probably your problem. I have cleaned some nasty commercial carpet using the cimex and it looked good afterwards, I use nothing but peroxide based juice.. right now I am using Atomic from Magicwand with AMAZING results and you get 30% off if you haven't used it before.

I vote CRB, its far more versatile than the zipper. I would say we encap 9 out of 10 commercial jobs.

juniorc82

Supportive Member
Name
Jon Coret
I run releasit ds so I doubt the encap juice was the problem. I also don't encap residential . Slinging the wand is killing my bad elbow and shoulder I do a lot of vacant and commercial restaurant so cant encap much of that.

Name
Jesse
We use our larger crb's very rarely. The only time we use them is when the carpet is dirty and there is concern over a warranty.

For residential we use the little sebo just to work cleaner into the carpet. If it's too dirty for a sebo then a 175 gets pulled out before the larger crb.

For commercial we scrub with mex unless the warranty issue comes up. The zipper is great on commercial carpet and our guys prefer to use it over the ti wand almost always. Since you are against encapping residential and you have a cimex I say get a zipper.

I just got a 2nd zipper and shortly will get a 3rd cause all of our guys want to use it doing commercial work.

Joel D

Name
Joel Darker
I have a gls crb. I think crbs are over rated. A 175 is way better and faster. Much more aggressive.

I dont bother with the crb much anymore unless its deep pile with lots of hair.

Adam why did you sell your zipper?

I dont have a zipper but if its better for you and you do a lot of large jobs, zipper it is.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
I'm a VLM expert according to some.

Get the zipper.

The Crb (which I also own) will not stand a chance next to your cimex on commercial. I have the 15 incher newer version w/ black brush, and my OP w/ fiber plus/max pads followed by glads kicked the CRB ass-. I literally put the CRB on the truck on a trashed commercial job. It is too slow and just can't compare to the cimex.

You can see some of Erik's vids he is using a crb to prescrub the nasty ones than followed by a zipper.

You can buy a newer crb for $1k on ebay. It does work great to prevac way better than a regular vac.

No way I would straight encap a resi w/ a crb, the min I would do (which I no longer do but does a much better job is to padcap w/ op), I only hwe tm resi though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Desk Jockey

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
It can be too light weight, making you look like a light weight.

Great when used as a preconditioner and much better as a maintenance tool. If corrective cleaning is needed there are much better tools to use that are more thorough and more productive.

Although I have no experience with the Trio CRB Derek & Randy say (I believe them) that it can clean as well on commercial as the Cimex.

If you just need it to aid you in prepping trashed carpet check out Craigslist or Ebay.

The Zipper if you do commercial work and vacants as you mentioned, will likely make it the better choice considering your particular needs.

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
get brushes for the cimex and you won't need a crb

get a hot tub for the elbow problems

I'm like the zipper but it is my opinion and I own 2 along with a Ti wands, CRB and rotary and a cimex

I use the zipper every place I can, with the heat, rinse and vacuum the vortex provides, the pile stands up pretty well, I have even been suprised on how well it does on matted commercial olefins

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
95%+ of our biz is CGD. the only machine i havent tried on CGD that i would love to is the Zipper. as far as CRB's go, nobody on here mentioned the Trio, which has to be the best CRB on the market in terms of cleaning power imo, simply because it is heavier. the one Larry Cobb sells might compare, since it is a similar weight?? but i've never tried it. my Trio cleans as well as my Cimex (that is my reasoning for it being the best CRB out there...nobody else with a smaller GLS or similar CRB seems to be able to say that)...but some situations the Cimex is better: greasier/oily carpets that need a higher pH get the Cimex with it's bulletproof sol tank and shower feed system. the Trio can't handle high pH in its sol tank or spray system. for everything else i like the Trio better...cleans faster for me. that said, if i could only have 1 of the 2, it'd be the Cimex simply for the high pH factor. but the Zipper seems like possibly the ultimate CGD machine...idk until i demo one tho.

so i'd say demo both 1st! idk if Erik has a demo-plan, but Whitt does for the Trio...you'd only be responsible for the return shipping fee. just my 2¢

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
95%+ of our biz is CGD. . . as far as CRB's go, nobody on here mentioned the Trio, which has to be the best CRB on the market in terms of cleaning power imo, simply because it is heavier. the one Larry Cobb sells might compare, since it is a similar weight?? but i've never tried it. my Trio cleans as well as my Cimex (that is my reasoning for it being the best CRB out there...nobody else with a smaller GLS or similar CRB seems to be able to say that)...but some situations the Cimex is better: greasier/oily carpets that need a higher pH get the Cimex with it's bulletproof sol tank and shower feed system. the Trio can't handle high pH in its sol tank or spray system. for everything else i like the Trio better...

Derek;

Our heavier & more powerful Cylindrical Brush Machine has a larger 1/2 HP AC motor, compared to the Whitaker machine.

4 Brush varieties & capability for high pH prespray can give you the level of scrubbing desired.

In spite of that, more of our commercial customers prefer the lighter 20" Austrian machine.

Larry

Last edited:

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
your 20" is heavier than the 20" Trio (which is actually 25" wide...the brushes are 20.5 " long)

high pH is a big deal to me...glad to hear yours can handle it!

CCA said that the middle brush doesnt come into contact with the carpet. idk if that is true or not. the center axle is slightly closer to the floor, but not enough to make all 3 brushes even...the center bristles are a quarter inch shy. BUT, when the full weight of the machine is sitting on a carpet and the brushes are spinning, i bet the bristles are bending enough so that the center brush is making contact with the carpet. idk how to test that theory. aside from that, the outer brushes do wear down in time. after a few months use they would wear down that quarter inch and then all 3 brushes definitely have full contact.

i'm looking forward to Pablo Moreno getting a Trio someday so we can hear his report :D

Erik

Supportive Member
Name
Erik
I am selling an auto scrubber so I think I will spend that loot on a crb pr zipper. I have the tennis elbow thing going on and a bad shoulder so the zipper would make the most sense. However I love how the crb agitates and the 175 and rx 20 are hard on that bad shoulder getting up the steps.... decisions decisions. I do a lot of commercial and empty realestate Im kinda leaning towards the zipper. Just hard to spend that kind of jack either way this time of year

We do offer a 30 day money back guarantee on the Zipper, if you don't like it send it back. You pay the shipping cost and we cover the CC fees, and get back a used unit. I do have a 20" CRB that i'm not using, i can sell you for $500.(PAY WHEN U CAN).

Name
Bill Soukoreff
Get the Zipper. 2500-2700 sq/ft on wide open commercial, incredible flushing power, less fatigue, dry in under 4 hours and lower job cost than using a Cimex or CRB even factoring in using gas for the TM. The only way I will ever use the Cimex again is for when it is out of reach by a TM. It beats the Cimex in every way and will appeal to facilities that care about indoor air quality and still super fast dry times.

I love it as well on residential. Incredible dry times rivaling low moisture cleaning, no need for agitation unless you clean stuff that should just be ripped out (I don't). Really deep cleaning and faster then a rotary or CRB. You need to adjust the height of the rear wheels about 1/4" for residential (this is really important or you won't like it), and make sure you get Eric's new jets/extensions for residential use. No need to post groom as it leaves the pile lifted and smooth with no lines. Fantastic on area rugs.

The stuff you dig out of the carpet is really impressive considering it has no aggressive rotary action. You need to change your filter twice as often, and the waste water is thick black resembling oil.

Yes, I am a Zipper fan boy. Never been so exited about a cleaning tool and I try everything that comes out. It is a keeper.

Anyone who has not used one, does not .know what they are talking about. That said, it is a speciality tool and not for everyone one. Try Eric's trial, you can't go wrong.

Last edited:

Erik

Supportive Member
Name
Erik
[video=youtube_share;ytUUHDF3EYo]http://youtu.be/ytUUHDF3EYo[/video]

This is how the Zipper should ride on a padded carpet if adjusted correctly. Most users don't adjust the Zipper properly for padded carpet. This thick nylon will probably dry in 1-2 hours.

Reactions: Bill Soukoreff

steve g

Name
steve garrett
the zipper to me looks like a specialty/novelty wand. from what I see it doesn't really offer anything different than what you can do with a wand. Some may argue its better than a wand, whatever I haven't used one, bottom line is its still basically a wand. I love CRB machines for use on nasty polyester friezes, however a 175 would probably do the same thing on it and be ALOT cheaper. I say just make sure you have a decent means of scrubbing the polyesters and save your money. I would buy a host machine for $350 or a 175. The host machine is under powered but does get the job done.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
The zipper looks to be awkward to use in a residential with it's limited movement.

Name
Bill Soukoreff
the zipper to me looks like a specialty/novelty wand. from what I see it doesn't really offer anything different than what you can do with a wand. Some may argue its better than a wand, whatever I haven't used one, bottom line is its still basically a wand. I love CRB machines for use on nasty polyester friezes, however a 175 would probably do the same thing on it and be ALOT cheaper. I say just make sure you have a decent means of scrubbing the polyesters and save your money. I would buy a host machine for $350 or a 175. The host machine is under powered but does get the job done.

You cannot compare it to a wand. I use Ti's and CMP's jetted with 5 or 6 03's and the Zipper is a much, much more aggressive cleaning tool that dries twice as fast. The weight of the head makes a big difference as well as the heat chamber and the slot and hole glide combo. With the Zipper you can forget about pre-scrubbing and clean really high pressures and leave the carpet incredibly dry. Think of the time savings. It is much faster then using a rotary, CRB, or 175. And you will less fatigued at the end of a big day. A nasty carpet requires no extra effort, just turn up the PSI and let the zipper do the work. It has a rejuvenating effect of the carpet without the aggressiveness of a rotary.

If you haven't used one, you won't understand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Name
Bill Soukoreff
The zipper looks to be awkward to use in a residential with it's limited movement.

It is more awkward then a wand and takes some getting use two, but after a few jobs you learn how to work with it and you either love it or hate it. I love it and using a wand now is a chore.

You have to understand it replaces a rotary or a 175/CRB and wand combo on even severe jobs. The Zipper is much easier to use in residential then any of those methods. It will leave the carpet much drier than any of them and it won't break your back hauling it in and out of houses and up and down stairs.

On trashed apartment rentals that should be ripped out, I could see how someone would prefer a rotary or agitation/wand combo. I don't do that kind of work so for me the Zipper is better as I can use it 100% of my jobs. Did I mention incredibly fast dry times? :)

Last edited:

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Its a Rinse Toy.

Slap some driven brushes under it, then check back : )

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
You cannot compare it to a wand. I use Ti's and CMP's jetted with 5 or 6 03's and the Zipper is a much, much more aggressive cleaning tool that dries twice as fast. The weight of the head makes a big difference as well as the heat chamber and the slot and hole glide combo. With the Zipper you can forget about pre-scrubbing and clean really high pressures and leave the carpet incredibly dry. Think of the time savings. It is much faster then using a rotary, CRB, or 175. And you will less fatigued at the end of a big day. A nasty carpet requires no extra effort, just turn up the PSI and let the zipper do the work. It has a rejuvenating effect of the carpet without the aggressiveness of a rotary.

If you haven't used one, you won't understand.

Thank you Bill, that's good to know.

Just to get a better perspective: Is your residential cleaning mostly open spaces, (I assume not vacant) or do you also have to work around furniture and in small confined rooms?

I am curious to know how well you can maneuver the Zipper in those situations?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom