I have money for either a zipper or a crb

steve g

Name
steve garrett
bill, I don't believe you can skip the rotary or CRB on all carpets. for instance a polyster frizea. The reason this carpet needs to be scrubbed is 2 fold. it has an affinity to oil that needs to be broken down scrubbing accomplishes this. The other is the carpet fibers fold over and trap dirt on one side of the fibers. no wand can pick these up and clean it. agitation moves the fibers and breaks down the oils all at once. This leaves an easy job for your wand. I can see that the zipper is going to clean better forward and backward. but for me thats not really an issue in the cleaning process that needs to be addressed. one problem I do see is how does this wand clean very close to the edge of the wall?? the jets look like they are back from the head quite a bit. This would look to me to be very problematic in residential where you have to clean around furniture and have lots of small room. most of the commerical I clean are offices with desks and cubicals again how do you clean right up to the edge of the wall or cubical?? its seldom I clean a big wide open room with nothing in it. I suspect other cleaners see the same issues.

AshleyMckendree

Supportive Member
Name
Ashley Mckendree
Zipper. Hands down. I own both CRB and Zipper. several of each in fact.

I also own two/three of everything else, Trinity/Orbots, Cimex's, 175's.

The Zipper & Cimex are my two favorite.

Use the 'Mex w/ Brushes two lay down pre-spray/pre-scrub lightning fast (faster than someone JUST pre-spraying)

Then RUN with the zipper, flat out speed walk, you will destroy trashed emptys and large open comm.

WITHOUT a dry-stroke, my Zipper with dual hole glides leaves carpet drier than my OP's do.
I get dry times in the 1.2hr range with Padcap, 45 minute dry times with the Zipper (No Dry pass),
With a quck dry pass It goes down to 32 min, With a slow dry pass, it feels dry to the touch immediately, moisture meter cant detect anything within 10/15 min.

I understand not everyone has a Vortex, with 95% 2.5 Hose running to their Zipper, but my 93 Butler gets great results as well with the Smaller Zipper Jr.

( NOTE: I am NOT bashing OP, I use it DAILY... Just giving my experiences)

Name
Bill Soukoreff
Thank you Bill, that's good to know.

Just to get a better perspective: Is your residential cleaning mostly open spaces, (I assume not vacant) or do you also have to work around furniture and in small confined rooms?

I am curious to know how well you can maneuver the Zipper in those situations?

My most common residential job is furnished three bedrooms, bonus room, hall and stairs. It is more maneuverable then you would think and so far no need to bring in the wand. Since you can clean moving forward or backward you quickly learn how best to use it. I would recommend the 13" Zipper. I thought I would like the 15" better since I like wider wands but once you understand that the Zipper is always cleaning with every pass, direction, little if any speed would be gained with 15" zipper even on open commercial. The 13" is more agile and can be lighter if you remove both weights.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: ruff
Name
Bill Soukoreff
bill, I don't believe you can skip the rotary or CRB on all carpets. for instance a polyster frizea. The reason this carpet needs to be scrubbed is 2 fold. it has an affinity to oil that needs to be broken down scrubbing accomplishes this. The other is the carpet fibers fold over and trap dirt on one side of the fibers. no wand can pick these up and clean it. agitation moves the fibers and breaks down the oils all at once. This leaves an easy job for your wand. I can see that the zipper is going to clean better forward and backward. but for me thats not really an issue in the cleaning process that needs to be addressed. one problem I do see is how does this wand clean very close to the edge of the wall?? the jets look like they are back from the head quite a bit. This would look to me to be very problematic in residential where you have to clean around furniture and have lots of small room. most of the commerical I clean are offices with desks and cubicals again how do you clean right up to the edge of the wall or cubical?? its seldom I clean a big wide open room with nothing in it. I suspect other cleaners see the same issues.

Steve, I totally get your doubt. I felt the same way as you, how can it clean any better then a wand? All I can say is try it and you may be pleasantly surprised. Until you do, you are only speculating.

Funny thing is my first week with the zipper, me and my buddy who was also demoing the Zipper had three of those matted down polyester friezes. Normally, my buddy would normally use his RX20 (unglided) on them and I would lean towards the CRB with aggressive brushes. With no strong chems and the Zipper turned up to 600 PSI it did a fantastic job. The way it traps the heat, it literally melts the oils away with nice slow passes with lots of water. Same thing for wax and gum. My high flow wand (15 flow) would take several passes to remove wax and gum, the zipper will do it much quicker. For me there is nothing better then lots of heat and flushing power on oily fibres. Same deal with those dark oily areas on a poly or olefin from where the dog lays. You can scrub them all you want, but deep high heat flushing is what works best for me.

I have lots of other tools for agitation at my disposal, including the Cimex, 175, CRB and have used extensively several rotaries, but the Zipper is my favourite tool, hands down. You might hate it, it does seem to be a love or hate kind of tool. I will be the first to say it is not a tool for everyone, it is a specialty tool.

I'm my option, you do need a decent truckmount to enjoy the full benefits of the Zipper and you will use allot more water. For those who have that covered, they will enjoy outstanding results with less time and less fatigue.

You can clean as close to the wall as any glided wand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Lemme see ya clean a set a steps w that.

Your a man If you can do it w a GreenHorn!

Your Godzilla to do it w the Zipper

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Bill you certainly make some good points and after your explanation, the Zipper will definitely be worth checking out.
Thanks for the advise regarding the 13" being better for residential and in general more practical.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom