I Just About Popped A Customer One In The Head

Willy P

Name
Willy P
New customer yesterday wanted a 2 bedroom suite cleaned. VERY VERY filthy. I spent 4 and a half friggin' hours getting the crud out, removing stains, even fixed a couple of cig burns no charge. He started phoning me 2 hours in, asking what was taking so long. I finally finished, packed up and went to drop the keys at his house on the way home. Now I knew this wasn't going to make me a wealthy man, as I had spoken to his adult son and given him a quote of around $200. I wrote out the bill, a little pissed at myself for not charging more. I handed the bill over and the guy just ripped into me about how he had NEVER paid more than $80 for the same job before and all kinds of $hit about what a ripoff I was and on and on. I simply said to him that at about $40 an hour was really CHEAP and would barely cover expenses. "Cleaner boys aren't worth that much money- you're just a janitor. You're NOTHING". I walked out to my truck, gathered up my insurance and Workers Comp paperwork, a bunch of receipts for work on the van, a new pump, and other assorted expenses and said to him that all these costs come out of the "rip off" (ME- not him. I didn't make squat off this job). He told me to FO and would never call me again, badmouth me to all his friends and blah, blah blah. I got the money, cash thankfully, politely thanked him and walked away really confused and more than just a little PO'ed. He was about 30 seconds away from a mouthful of bloody chicklets. I NEVER lose my cool with customers except this guy just deserved a good pop in the skull.

Funny thing was that I did another 2 bedroom unit earlier in the day, not trashed, charged the same , was done in under 2 hours and the customer asked why that was all and I should charge more. Go figure.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
That sucks, you go over and above board only to take a beating over something that you had already given a price on.

Did you remind him that you had told his son the amount and he didn't object to it then?

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Some people are just A-holes.
We all run into them sooner or later.

Good job not knocking himt the F-out.
He would have gotten his $200.00 bucks back and more.

People like that are sometimes looking to get punched so they can sue.

Whattyagonnado.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Willy he was right we are all just glorified janitors.

But we are all people and I would go back late in the night and slit his throat while he slept.

Willy P

Name
Willy P
RCTPKS said:
That sucks, you go over and above board only to take a beating over something that you had already given a price on.

Did you remind him that you had told his son the amount and he didn't object to it then?

Absolutely was up front on the costs and the son was on his way over to have dinner with his parents. The "cleaner boy" comment was the thing that really got my temper up. The "cleaner boy" fixed 6 cigarette burns, steamed out 3 red stains that Papa said wouldn't come out, candle wax, rust and a bunch of small blood stains from a cut dog's paw, not to mention a dozen or so coffee or tea stains. I did ask him why he didn't call the $80 guys- " They don't do a good job" :roll: . I can go to Walmart and buy a pair of flip flops for 2 dollars and bitch about uncomfortable feet or get a pair of shoes and be warm, dry and comfortable.
I gave him Nikes and he wanted to pay for thongs.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Your comment should have been, "Yas Boss I dood anything yous want Boss"

packfancjh

Name
Chris Hagen
I would've said keep your 200, I' just put the dirt back. Then go dump the waste water right in his living room. What a prick.

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley
The situation is simple:

He hadn't seen your work yet. So he was coming from a mindset of a guy who'd been screwed by a steady stream of fly- by- nighters.

With that in mind, a better way to handle it would have been to recognize the fact that, with all of that, he's still an ass. And take that under consideration in your reply:

"Look. You haven't even seen the results yet. If you paid $80 or less before, I can see how you'd feel justified in what you're saying. But in this case, it doesn't fit. Go actually look at the job and then what you're saying will actually mean something. In the meantime, I'm not listening to this any longer."

The best way to relate to someone is the same way they relate to you. It gets their attention. As long as you don't go overboard in the process...

rhyde

Name
rhyde
Psychology!

keep your cool!

i have grown to like these it was more comon when I first started.

I turn the tables on them it often works. I usually say something like….. why didn’t you call 80.00 guy again and it’s usually he’s out of business or he did a crappy job. I shrug my shoulders and say can’t stay in business or do a good job at that price or that sounds about right for an 80.00 job. Then I’ll say something like … there’s a guy that does whole house cleaning on craigs list for 80 bucks or so you should call him next time. I’ll say this politely with a smile on my face and inainly without any care or bitterness. Subconsciously I’m telling him he’s not worth my time and energy, he doesn’t deserve my service, I’ve got better things to do, my clients and service is better than him, his patronage is irrelevant to me, and above all....he’s an 80.00 customer but i'm a 200.00 cleaner

You’ll turn some of these people into good paying clients and the rest you don’t want anyway

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
But Willy does the same sort of work that the $80 guy does.

:shock:

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
Walrus said:
Willy he was right we are all just glorified janitors.

But we are all people and I would go back late in the night and slit his throat while he slept.

Amen. But first you xxxx and xxxx his wife and daughter in front of him. Then borrow Larry's bat and beat on him until your hands bleed. What would Saddam do? But seriously, just thank him for sharing his opinion of carpet cleaners, and deposit the check. Any further thought on the matter will only adversely effect your health.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Art Kelley said:
Then borrow Larry's bat and beat on him .

nah, I'd of pistol whipped that joker.....

honestly, I'd of done it pretty much the same as Randy Hyde.
Matter fact, I did just that 2 weeks ago.
(fo-reel)

..L.T.A.

Ernie G

I agree with Randy, stay calm, it drives them crazy. I just tell them, this is not a good fit and if they call us back next time, we just don't work for them.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Come on guys
What would Jesus do?
I mean really

Just Set him on fire and send him to hell. :mrgreen:

just kidding Lord.
My girlfriend just told me to tell the Lord I'm sorry.
I'm sorry Lord.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom