I may have found a great helper. What would you do?

I am working towards building a strong residential business off referrals, targeted marketing, and moderate pricing. My goal is two trucks bringing in 5k per week with two techs, one helper, and phone support. I think I can achieve that, but first I have to quit using temp helpers. Sure I can hire someone on the net, but that does not mean I can trust them or they will work out.

I may have found the right person. My friend Brandon that I went to school with got a job out of high school working for GSK. He made 2500 every two weeks, but he had to work 50 hours a week, work in a 120 degree room, and work nights. He only worked there for 6 months. Then he went to work for his father who owns a recruiting business. Another guy I know works for Brandon’s dad and made over a hundred grand his first year. Brandon hates selling over the phone and only made enough to get by. He went to school off and on for the past couple years and has decided he does not want to go back.

Now he currently works for a paint store and makes 10 dollars per hour and brings home 300 per week. His wife he just married has a degree and makes 90-110k per year in sales. There is no conflict with her being the bread winner. I asked him what he wanted to do and he said just keep his job and hopefully in a few years become a manager and make 45k with benefits. I asked him what he thought about cleaning carpets. He is smart, clean cut, goes to church from time to time and could work out great. I told him I could guarantee him 350 per week and once he was trained he would make 750-1000 per week or more. He understands the concept of not being trained to go into business for his self. His dad makes each employee sign a non-compete agreement that changes over time. It takes him about a year and a lot of money to get an employee trained where he can make money off them. Same applies with cleaning carpets well maybe not that long.
I know this is long but it is all relevant. I think Brandon would be great, trustworthy, and stay with me for a long time. He really just wants to make decent money and I can give him the knowledge and opportunity to do that.

What would you do?

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
Short answer - don't hire a friend.

Long answer- don't hire him because of what you wrote about him. Re-read everything you wrote and see the red flags. The guy has had opportunities to make real income and is now doing one of the most brainless jobs in the world for $10 an hour. I would run, not walk away from this person if they approached me for a job.

Ken

Ken I agree with what you said, but everyone is not a salesman. Cold calling large corporations from 8-5 is different than selling carpet protector and running a tm. I am positive I can train him to be a great tech. I may be a little worried his work ethic will not be what mine is, but that is why employees are paid a percentage so they make more the harder they work. I would want him to work 6 days a week and 5 during the winter. I think given the right training and work environment he would work out, but I guess I will have to keep my options open. Really I just need a balls to the wall hustler. That is kind of hard to find though.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Selling is the foundation of this business.

Cleaning comes secondary.

I could see keeping him as a helper for say 12% or so.

But, never as a tech.

As hard as you try. It sounds like he will never be a good fit.

You can't follow him around all day and give him the fire and motivation which he seems to be lacking.

Ken have you hired anyone that was in a 50k a year job to come be a tech for you?

Most people that clean carpets do not have high paying jobs to begin with.

I am listening to what you say for sure.

My biggest concern is finding someone I can trust. I can take care of the rest no problem.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
Yes and they make that and more with us, but I would never hire someone use to making 2-3 times what we can pay them. Probably not even 10% less.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Daniel,

You have to find someone that it personable and has the fire.

If they don't have the fire and motivation to succeed you are wasting your time.

Dave selling is the easiest part of this job. Have you ever done cold calling. It is completely different than talking to a customer about having their carpet protected or their tile cleaned. All you have to do is know what you are talking about and be confident.

It is really not that hard and anyone can pick up on it.

Besides I will be on the majority of the jobs anyways at least for a while anyways.

He will be a helper at 15 percent to start and 25 percent if he does any solo work.

After a year a 5 percent pay increase.

One of the keys to me getting so many referrals was to just price my service a little higher, quit pushing topical treatments unless they were needed, and push extra work such as tile cleaning, upholstery, and rugs. People trust me and that is why I get a lot of referrals.

Dave he does want to succeed.

Ken I am a little confussed. If a guy is clean cut and makes 300 per week, you wouldn't offer to train him to make tripple that. And you can trust him as well.

I think we would all like to find the IDEAL TECH, but isn't that up to the owner to make that?

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
I must have misunderstood. I thought he was use to making more than triple that and then is settling for 10$ an hour watching paint mix. I'm really sorry to be a negative on your friend I'm just not sure what you see as his redeeming qualities and why you would want to risk a friendship with him.

Name
Lee Stockwell
Daniel despite the title you selected for this thread, it seems you have your mind made up. You are young. I was once as well, and I made a few huge hiring mistakes because I wouldn't listen.

I guess it's your turn now.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Lee is right.

After being around the block a few times with training you'll see that some people be very good as janitors or part of a group crew. But, they can never be high producing techs.

Some attributes are beyond training.

Dave how many SUPER techs do you have, or do you just have a hose puller?

I think it falls on the owners shoulders to make clear what is expected before hiring and provide the necessary training.

We would all like find the ideal tech, but they don't exist.

A tech is as good as you train him/her.

Lee I haven't made up my mind.

If Brandon says he can work 5-6 days a week sun up to sun down and a couple of night jobs then the job is his. He will easily make 1500 per week. I can always test him out for a few weeks and if it doesn't work out then oh well. We really are not close friends.

I am leaning towards giving him a shot. Working with someone clean cut I can trust is way more important to me than someone being able to schlep carpet protector.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Dan, it sounds like you're trying to convince us you "made" the right choice
(cause I too think you've already made up your mind)

I also think your judgment is pretty poor

here's what I see from what you've told us.

he was making $25 bukz an hour (50 hours pr week X two weeks =$2500) , That's good dough right out of High School.....but he quit without having something better on the table...just cause he didn't like working nights ..oh yea, and he was hot :roll:

strike one (or "red flag one ", as Ken put it)

then he was unmotivated to make any money at his Pop's gig.
No physical labor, air conditioned office and he didn't do sheet with that opportunity
The EXCUSE he gave you was "he hates it" .

Strike two

Then he bumped around playing school boy majoring in chasing tail and beer pong.
But that ain't for him either..so he's not gong back

strike three

and if that isn't enough, now he found a chic that's a go getter in sales knocking down some jack.
(he must of been good at the "tail chasing" part in school, cause he landed a keeper )

so, now he lets his wife support them while he goofs off at the paint store ...UNTIL he gets tired of that and quits with some other LAME EXCUSE for why

what do "I" think of your candidate to move into your biz?

I think he's lazy fck and not worth much.
Cause as soon as he gets a load of the "real world" of CC'ing 3 to 5 jobs a day in the summer, he's going to develop a chronic yeast infection and quit

..L.T.A.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
almost the same situation. i hired him and he did great but left after 6 mnths. he is now working for publix for way less money. his wife also makes deep into 6 figures.
we are still friends. somewhat amus

gene

joey895

Supportive Member
Name
Joey J.
Larry really nailed it. If you hire this guy he may do great work and the customers my love him but the bottom line is he will never be loyal. He'll be gone in 6 months to maybe a year at most.

I don't have any employees in my business but I spent 13 years in retail management and made the mistake you are about to make several times before I put 2 and 2 together.

Past behavior is a great indicator of future behavior in my opinion.

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
Listen to all these guys Daniel, I also made the mistake of hiring a friend that was EXACTLY what your describing word for word almost. Major waste of time, and the guy was never motivated to do anything, and always looked for a way to do less work. He will never look at you as the BOSS but a FRIEND, no matter what you tell him, it will go in one ear and come out the other, been there and done that, like i said big mistake, and it was a lot of aggravation.

I was also the one telling people he would be a great fit, yadda yadda, yes it's hard to find people you trust, and have hope that this person may be the one, the problem is that you're the one putting too much effort while the guy is looking at it just to make some extra cash, and most likely complain about "manual labor" carpet cleaning once he sees it's hard work, he won't be motivated even if he does have the potential to make a grand a week.

Terry

Supportive Member
Name
Terry O'Brien
Run, your business won't benefit long term and you'll probably lose a friend. We've all hired wrong people for jobs especially earlier in our careers.

The pool of potential good employees is large with the economy having recessed.

I see this period of time as excellent for recruiting.

good luck with your decision.

Terry

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
danielc said:
Back to the drawing board.

steal someone that's already working.

someone you know..like the guy at the local Piggly Wiggly stocking shelves at night , or working in the yard loading cars/trucks at Carter Lumber .
Or the dude that does such a great job at weed eating on the land scape crew

you get the picture

..L.T.A.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
I don't know about the rest and they all have sound reasons.....

But if I was taking advice about hiring an employee, I sure would have listened very quietly to the dude with the purple trucks.

What he has forgotten about hiring employees, we are still trying to learn.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
ok so maybe i am different, and i know my situation was a bit different..(tech was younger)

but i hired this kid at 14-15 and he has worked off and on for me for 14 yrs....we are friends, and we both know our "parts" of the relationship...

he has had a heart attack and soooo isnt/cant working with me right now....

my goal wasnt/isnt as high as yours or others...(btw Dave i F$%$#% hate selling and wished it wasnt part of the biz)

So do this...try him out and see...EXPLAIN IT CLEARLY to him what your goals are, and where he fits there..

it might be he hates the BS that comes from selling and just wants a good honest job and to make a decent $$$ amount (oh shit sounds like me :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ) and he doesnt want the headache of owning a biz, but would love to hustle to make the money..

basicly F%^#$% what the others say and go with your gut....but be sure there is a CLEAR understanding between the 2, and make sure you aint pissed if after 6mths or a yr, that your not pissed at him thinking he wasted your time...

how many people out there have fine biz relationships with their buddies??? i know quiet a few

how many people DIDNT go with their gut and now wish they did??? i know quiet a few there to

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
Doug~ I think your situation is quite different. We too have hired lots of young people starting when they we in their early teens. These are the ones you can mold and be proud of as they grow up in the business or just keep coming back to visit if they leave.

This situation is nothing like that imo and I think Daniel's gut knows this which is why he brought it to bb in the first place. I think a great litmus test for any questions brought here or to others in our sphere of influence is "why". There is some reason this was done and find that reason Daniel and go with it.

Ken

joey895

Supportive Member
Name
Joey J.
Yep, some of my best hires were high school kids. Trained the way I wanted them and loyal. This is completely different. This dude has already shown he's not loyal.

Of course I wouldn't fault Daniel for following his gut, sometimes you just have to find out for yourself.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I definitely respect those that have posted above and their opinions, but I don't see what you have to lose.

Time? heck you have just as much chance of losing that with whom ever you hire.

Friendship? Let him know it's a probation period, if either one decides it's not working out, the deal is off.

Past experience? It does show he doesn't like cold calling, but I wouldn't necessarily equate that into he can't sell cleaning. He may like cleaning and enjoy it and find it easier to sell vs high pressure phone sales. ???

If you're just looking for a good honest cleaner, production more than sales then why not give him a shot?

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
Doc Holliday said:
I definitely respect those that have posted above and their opinions, but I don't see what you have to lose.

Time? heck you have just as much chance of losing that with whom ever you hire.

Friendship? Let him know it's a probation period, if either one decides it's not working out, the deal is off.

Past experience? It does show he doesn't like cold calling, but I wouldn't necessarily equate that into he can't sell cleaning. He may like cleaning and enjoy it and find it easier to sell vs high pressure phone sales. ???

If you're just looking for a good honest cleaner, production more than sales then why not give him a shot?

well shit why didnt i say that?????

oh wait I DID...

lol good one chavez....much prettier then i could have said

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
I wouldn't do it but my daughter just graduated from college and was looking for work. I let a few of my customers know she was looking. She just got a job from the mortage company that I do work for.

If you want to hire him, treat him just like you would anybody else that was looking for a job. Make him apply, interview him, etc.

if he never applies for the job than you answered your own question

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom