I may need a 47 roots blower

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
Has anyone rebuilt their blower. Mine is making rattling noises in the front drive end. It took it today to a hydramaster mechanic and he said it is more then likely the front bearings. Has anyone rebuilt theirs?. Though Gardner-Denver have rebuilt kits they told me that a mis alignment from taking the front end out can result in more troubles.

The mechanic told me to just let it go until it dies.

Also, does anyone have a decent used one?. Roots Whispair 4007 for a Hydramaster Maxx470.

thanks,
Albert

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
most likely the shaft bearing..which is a snap to replace!
you'll need a shaft seal as well as a new bearing...
and prolly a new wavy washer!

KevinD

Name
Kevin Dumas
As Bob said real easy and probably only the shaft bearing is bad but I think it is a good idea to change both while it is apart.
It is very easy if you have a little mechanical ability.

and you will not lose alignment (timing) by replacing the front bearing.
The alignment (timing) is on the rear of the blower and will not be effected.

Dale

Name
Dale Collins
Hi guys:

Can someone please tell Albert and I how to pull a drive bearing? Is there a special tool that can be bought to do it?

Albert:

We missed each others phone calls, but I do not have any 47 blowers, except a high dollar dual shaft unit. The largest blower I have shipped UPS was a 45, and it cost $120 one way to a nearby state. I'm sure a 47 would have to go big truck and I do not have a loading dock. Hence, since it cost so much to ship that blower 2 ways, if it is more than the bearing, I would recommend to find a local re-builder.

Sincerely,
Dale

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
i use TWO screwdrivers and TWO blocks of wood...
then pry bearing out with both screwdrivers at the same time.....

Dale

Name
Dale Collins
Hi Bob:

Does that always work for you? I have tried that but when it is frozen on for many years, is there another "conventional" way? The last frozen one I did I had to weld a pullers arms onto the bearing.

I'm just trying to help Albert.

Thx,
Dale

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Dale said:
Hi Bob:

Does that always work for you? I have tried that but when it is frozen on for many years, is there another "conventional" way? The last frozen one I did I had to weld a pullers arms onto the bearing.

I'm just trying to help Albert.

Thx,
Dale
nope....... weld a pullers arms is next next step....i'm thinking!
do you pull the race as well...THAT'S the tough part...cuz it's a two part bearing...

Dale

Name
Dale Collins
Hi Bob:

"A 2 part bearing". Your right! The shaft bearing alone is a roller bearing, and has an inner race. Probably that's why I had some that did not pull out, the race had been put in backwords. And as far as working it works either way.

Anyway if you can see the race edges turned out, you can be pretty sure you can't get it out without welding.

Thx,
Dale

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Dale said:
Hi Bob:

"A 2 part bearing". Your right! The shaft bearing alone is a roller bearing, and has an inner race. Probably that's why I had some that did not pull out, the race had been put in backwords. And as far as working it works either way.

Anyway if you can see the race edges turned out, you can be pretty sure you can't get it out without welding.

Thx,
Dale
the wavy washers that hold them in are.....$27.00 a POP!

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
Thanks for the info on the bearing guys. I just re read the thread because we're going to attempt to do this today. The blower locked ulp on me on the last job yesterday.

Dale, the blower that you have may actually be a good option if for some reason this thing is really jacked. I'll let you know, I'll let you know.

Albert

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
Looks bad. Couldn't get it to spin. The front bearing are definitely loose. Looks like they got so bad that it snapped the gears.

My helper thinks that he can fix it.

What do you think?

DSCN0906_01.JPG

Burtz

hell just a little JB weld and some sand paper a popicle stick paper clip duct tape super glue
sure stockwell has done this many times

Bob Foster

Just a can of grey spray paint should do it. Then put it on eBay as refurbished after light use - apparently works, hours unknown... :lol:

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
Albert Lazo said:
Looks bad. Couldn't get it to spin. The front bearing are definitely loose. Looks like they got so bad that it snapped the gears.

My helper thinks that he can fix it.

What do you think?

DSCN0906_01.JPG

DAMN...someone fooked it up good......

glad i have a blower repair place near by.....screw that...i clean carpets....not fook with blowers

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
that's toast....sure you can spend 800 bucks to FIX it...
and then you'll have a 800 dollar used blower.....they only cost 1600 and change........BRAND NEW!

idreadnought

Supportive Member
Name
Richard
hey bob, since you have rebuilt tons of these... Do you buy the bearings, seals and that special wavy washer from roots or just a bearing supply store? I spun one of mine today and heard a clicking sound. That usually means the housing for the individual bearings is wearing or broken. I would rather address it before something catastrophic happens. Thanks in advance

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo
After inquiring and the info here I decided that I ain't messing with it. I'm working with Dale to buy his.

Question now is how did this happen?. The machine has I think 1700 hours. Loose belts?. I've used it on idle quite a bit. Any idea so this crap doesn't happen again?

Richard, you can buy kits at www.pdblowers.com.

Albert

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
idreadnought said:
hey bob, since you have rebuilt tons of these... Do you buy the bearings, seals and that special wavy washer from roots or just a bearing supply store? I spun one of mine today and heard a clicking sound. That usually means the housing for the individual bearings is wearing or broken. I would rather address it before something catastrophic happens. Thanks in advance
as far as i know...
you can buy the bearing and seal from Applied Technology...
but the wavy washer is propriety(i think)
unless you're proficient at blower building.....AND TIMING.......
the ONLY bearing you should ATTEMPT to replace is the drive bearing.....it is a tapered bearing where as the other three are ball bearings

THAT BLOWER IS JUNK!!!
good news is scrap is high right now......save any parts that you can get off.....legs...end covers etc.......

Dale

Name
Dale Collins
I agree with Bob, that blower is toast. A set of gears cost about $350.

I only have extra blowers now and then. Otherwise we build them for our own use and when we sell a machine. I am sorry to Albert because the only 4.7 I presently have had a bearing problem (even though it was rebuilt). I pulled the head plate back off and broke an ear off of it. So I cancelled the sale.

Sincerely,
dale

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom