I need advice fast about a heater?

KOOSER55

I bought and put this heater in my van

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... 0003+90401

and i put it next the machine and let it run all night it kept the machine warm enough but all my hoses and everything else still frooze up. what type of heater should i put in there to do the job? its been down to 6 at night and 22 degress is the high

davep105

Name
Dave Pires
I use one made by stanley that I bought at Lowes last year, seems to do the job. Is your van insulated?

davep105

Name
Dave Pires
When it gets into the single digits around here I run heaters on both sides of the machine. I see that some guys here even run up to three of them. The past few days I have just ran antifreeze through the machine and brought everything else inside. Been getting down in the negatives. What a pita!

Wayne Miller

Name
Wayne Miller
It's only 1500 watts. So are hair dryers. Too few BTU's when it dips much below freezing unless you're good and insulated.

KOOSER55

my van isnt insulated, what btu do suggest i want to go buy a heater now i live rigth near lowes home depot walmart target a bunch of places. What should i do

Doug D

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Dimick
I used to use those oil filled radiator heaters. I put 2 in my van. Both on hi, separate extension cords. You may go with 3 when it gets below zero.

KOOSER55

i think i need to buy one now and that one is only online thank you though i guess iw ill look for something with close specs. i guess

Able 1

Name
Keith
My van is kept in a garage but I only use 1 heater and it gets cold here!!

I throw a sleeping bag over the top of my TM to tuck it in at night.

I think you will be ok with any heater thats at least 5,000 btu's but I doubt you will be able to run two of those heaters on the same circuit.

KOOSER55

the heater i use now is over 5000 btu im lost i guess ill buy something simular to that one and use two and see how that goes

Doug D

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Dimick
KOOSER55 said:
i think i need to buy one now and that one is only online thank you though i guess iw ill look for something with close specs. i guess

I would buy two. Price of a heater is cheaper than being broke down and out of work for being froze up. imo

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
many guys with unheated garages and uninsulated vans will need two or THREE electric heaters in extreme cold.
I don't go that route

it you want a sure fired heat system that will keep a van toasty warm in extreme cold, buy a convection heat kero heater.
i have an 11,000 BTU kero heater in mine right now.
My van is uninsulated and kept in a DRAFTY unheated pole barn.

it was 12 below here last night and some what windy.
my van is 50 degrees inside

you must use a small fan to circulate the hot air, and you must crack a window to allow air into the van, or the flame will burn all the oxygen inside the van and smother.
If you don't crack the window, you'll wake up to a sooty frozen van

..L.T.A.

KOOSER55

i thought someone said before about those heaters cause your windows to get ice on them on the inside?

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
this one will keep your van at 60 to 70 degrees inside on the coldest night.
It uses a lot of fuel though and is expensive to heat day and night with

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... -100045793

this is the one I use.
Unfortunately, this size isn't as easy to find, cause most folks will buy the larger one cause they're both about the same price.

http://www.nothingbuthardware.com/457132.html

Mine burns appx a gal of kero in 19 hours.
That's real close to what it two electric 1500wt heaters cost to run at standard residential electric rates.
and less than three 1500wt heaters

Plus, no concerns about over loading breakers, plugs and wiring
and if I do have a short or power failure, i still have heat
as fate would have it, our power was out for a short time today

..L.T.A.

..L.T.A.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
KOOSER55 said:
i thought someone said before about those heaters cause your windows to get ice on them on the inside?

yes, they do cause condensation inside the van
Same thing happens with the propane sunflower heaters

still a better alternative imHo than two or three electric heaters

get two small fans.
more air circulation (larger fan) helps minimize the window sweat/freeze

..L.T.A.

John Watson

Those oil filled radiators are good, also those ceramic heaters work, You want something that radiates the heat all around I have a $29.00 ceramic that has a thermostat that I set at 60. I put it on my heatexchanger between the seats. Its fan blows 360 degrees so my wands valves and QD's in the back of the van dont freeze either. I also am in an unheated Pole building but it is insulated.

does anyone use a heater that is tapped into the gas tank of the van? I know a guy here that has a heater like that in his cube truck....it has a thermo-stat and will turn on if the temperature drops below what you set it for...i was wondering if anyone knew where to get an affordable one? like i said its a small heater that is hooked up to your gas tank in the van...

I will try to get a hold of the guy in town that has one and report back....

Like said above, when trucks freeze it can get really expensive. When I used to work at an ILS store, I would see a lot of heat exchangers that need to be replaced in the spring because they were weakened in the winter time from being frozen....

Pay for a heater now or pay for a heat exchanger later....

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Sticky said:
does anyone use a heater that is tapped into the gas tank of the van?

gasoline?
or propane?

I don't know of any gasoline heaters.
(doesn't mean they don't exist, just never seen or heard tell of one)

..L.T.A.

meAt said:
Sticky said:
does anyone use a heater that is tapped into the gas tank of the van?

gasoline?
or propane?

I don't know of any gasoline heaters.
(doesn't mean they don't exist, just never seen or heard tell of one)

..L.T.A.
yeah they are gasoline....I just got off the phone with the local guy...the manufactuer is German its called Webasto he said they units go for about a thousand bucks and its about $400 to have them installed....then all you have to do is set the thermo-stat and it turns on and off to mantain the temperature....he said they use about a gallon a gas per night to keep them at 50 degrees...its like 6 degrees here today....anybody else use these style heaters?

John Watson

We had propane catalytic heaters on thermstats in Alaska for the back of the vans I didn't like the open flame.. plus you had to give them air..

My 57 VW bug had a gas heater that ran off of Gas from the main tank, Also my M37 Meat wagon (ambulance) had a gas heater mounted on the front fender which I never used or hooked up, but they are out there..Expensive to run though.. Probably the same type your talking about Rob.

If you put the heater up off the floor then your hoses will freeze. Any type of small heater will sufice if the temperatures are 20 degrees and up. Below 20 degrees and you need two small heaters in the van. Remember to put them on the floor. Do not put them on any type of box etc. because I did that once and my solution line froze.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni

tubguy

I use a sealed combustion chamber propane furnace inside my trailer. Thermostat controlled. Works great.
I have 2 40# cylinders with automatic switch over when one tank runs out.
Mike

Al

I've tried several different electric heaters and they just won't keep our Box truck warm enough. I have the larger one in Larrys post but It uses 2 gallons of kerosene in 10-12 hours on high.
Kind of expensive.

I mainly use the Big Buddy propane heater with a 40 lb tank. It's 12* outside and 63* in the truck as I type. Make sure to get a remote thermometer so you can watch the temps from Indoors. I find the propane cheaper to run.

I'm afraid the power would go out with an electric set up, then what.

I have the big buddy a 20# and a 40# tank, a back up big buddy and the Kero heater.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
don't forget to block the exhaust to your machine that leads right to your heat exchanger

anyone else know of a brand of heaters that taps into your gas tank other then webasto?
Just curious to see if anyone has had any luck with another brand?

R

R W

Man, I feel for you guys that don't have a heated garage or shop for your vans. I keep mine in rented 3-bay garage, with a Reznor overhead heater. I set it at about 45*, and that heats the truck and melts off all the snow under the wheel wells. If you live in an area of the country that has sustained below freezing temps, and CC is your main income, you gotta get a small shop or garage that you can keep heated. I use natural gas, and it probably runs me $300 for the year. I'm getting it at $8.99 MFC right now.....not a bad price for this area. It's been up to $15.00 MFC in years past.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
$300 for the gas, but how much is the rent a month on the garage, RW?

and is electric included in the rent?

if so, I'd only heat the garage when working on something in there and stuff several space heaters in the van and let the land lord pay to heat my van...

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

..L.T.A.

Back
Top Bottom