I need more suction and cannot figure out how to get it? Help!!

jake.hdm

Name
Jake ness
So heres my dilemma, I have a homemade tm. Not by choice but bought for $2500 when I first started.
It now only has frame and tank everything else I have replaced past 2 years. Here's what I run tell me what's wrong? Taken it to a shop but they cannot figure it out. Not surprised though. Customers complaining carpet drenched.
OK all new equipment. 18hp kohler, 36 roots blower 1 week old, cat pump 3cp. Little giant heater. And older tank even sealed 2 days ago. Dual jet wand with glider on front tip only. Couldn't fit both glide tips. Wand not wide enough opening. When under load I can hear engine squeak a bit too outside. Do I sell? What do I do? Carpets coming out great just not drying for 2 days. Even with 2 dry strokes after and new jets on wand. Also same wetness with my new rotovac 360i. I'm going to lose customers with these drying results. Please help?? Been a horrible month with complaints. Trying my hardest but don't know what to do??

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Make sure relief valve pops at between 10 to 14 inches. Your wand must get a good seal on carpet. If using 1 and half lead hose make sure it is no more than 15 feet. Dont use a live reel. Use only as much hose as you need. That is a small blower. You would be better off using a 4 inch medium blower

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
Is there a screen/filter where the blower connects to the waste tank? Make sure it's clean.
What size vac hose are you running and what length?
If it's homemade do you know what rpm the blower is turning? What size pulleys?
What size jets on the wand?

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
Yes pics and specific operating specs will help

Like what do you have your vacuum relief set to and what do you have your water pressure set to?

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Check what the sealed suction is on your TM (should be 14") .

Check what the suction is when cleaning commercial loop pile carpet (should be ~ 10")

Take off the single lip on the front of the wand .

Insure that there are no vac leaks or obstructions (filter, etc.)

Your TM should have plenty of power to dry the carpet in a few hours.

Larry

jake.hdm

Name
Jake ness
Thank you guys I will check all this tomorrow. I do not have any gages so cannot tell u that info. I will post pics soon. I'm running about 100' of hose generally. Pulleys are 4inch. I think the filter and wand will help right off the bat.

Vivers

Supportive Member
Name
Bill
Run 2 inch vac line all the way to the wand "no whip line" and I'd be interested to see the wand you use because I have a feeling that could be a huge portion of this problem.

I'd suggest also to get rid of in tank filter and get a devastator in-line filter and a 2 inch shafted wand or at least a 1 3/4

I ran basically the same stats with a Prochem legend when I started and dry times and vacuum were not an issue especially on 100ft which is a typical residential set up

Name
Shawn Forsythe
Thank you guys I will check all this tomorrow. I do not have any gages so cannot tell u that info. I will post pics soon. I'm running about 100' of hose generally. Pulleys are 4inch. I think the filter and wand will help right off the bat.

Without a vacuum gauge, how was the vac relief valve even set? A vacuum gauge is NOT a trivial item. Install one.
4" sounds a tad small. If using an idler too, the wrap may suffer. If not, it will still get the belts a little hot from flex. Is the engine exhaust system sufficiently clearing the belts for temp consideration? All or some of these could be causing belt slippage (the chirping you are hearing). That in itself will kill your vacuum.

SamIam

Name
sam miller
I've seen that before, I started with a prochem 150a I think it was 3.3 blower or 3.6 my steam genie was a 3.6.

But I would run 2 inch hose to the wand a use a 1 1/2 hose cuff as a reducer straight into a 2 inch cuff no glide, I always used a quad jet prochem wand to. Its heavy creates a better seal and will take a 2 inch hose right on the end.

Honestly a better machine will always help better plumbing, better design, dry strokes and fans. I carry 6 of you had a couple air paths that would really knock down your dry times and you could double your rates.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
Jake I had a look at both Superior Cleaning solutions and Cobb Carpet and you can get both gauges (vacuum and water pressure) literally for about 60 bucks for the pair (plus shipping) from either place.

For all you know your vac relief adjustment has backed way out and you have low vacuum, and your solution pressure could be way high and you woudn't know it.

Splurge another 40 beans and you can grab a "Tiny Tach" tachometer/hour meter.

Get some gauges!

Reactions: SamIam

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
foam in the hoses
slipping blower belts
too high psi and flow for wand/TM combination
Too low RPMs on the blower
applying scotch guard exacerbating the dry problems
soaking carpet with pre-spray when not needed in heavy amounts

all things that can cause excessive dry times

if a typical 2 jet wand like the AW29, remove the glide lip thingie ....you don't need one

..L.T.A.

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Maintenance that POS man, run it, make money with it, buy a Better one.

Prolly a big hairball in the line. Been there so : )

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Work your way away from the home built before it drives you out of business. Get it fixed and then sell it on Craigslist and buy a good used brand name.

It will save you many headaches down the road.

Name
Marcus
You will need a bigger engine and blower
I had the same problem with a 23 hp and 36 blower
Gotta get a bigger blower and engine

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
If your carpets are taking that long then stop cleaning carpets until you find out why.everybody is assuming it's the machine but it could be you. I've seen more than one guy flood a carpet to clean it. Video the machine and you cleaning style.

Gene

Reactions: Dolly Llama

Lorenzo

Name
Ernie Kosar
-Rely on good pre spray
-Agitate well
-Remove drop basket in dump tank
-400 psi max
-Use devistador in line filter if u can run two 2 inch hoses to the door the one 2 inch to the area cleaning
-use dri pods set up rite after finished cleaning

That should help

Lorenzo

Name
Ernie Kosar
-Rely on good pre spray
-Agitate well
-Remove drop basket in dump tank
-400 psi max
-Use devistador in line filter if u can run two 2 inch hoses to the door the one 2 inch to the area cleaning
-use dri pods set up rite after finished cleaning

That should help

jake.hdm

Name
Jake ness
If your carpets are taking that long then stop cleaning carpets until you find out why.everybody is assuming it's the machine but it could be you. I've seen more than one guy flood a carpet to clean it. Video the machine and you cleaning style.

Gene
I know it's the machine because before all these issues with unit past 6 months my dry times were under 6 hours

Name
Ralph Pastorelli
Even 6 hours is way to long to dry in some cases with exception to high humidity and heavy rains with no air conditioning to help.

jake.hdm

Name
Jake ness
ab83064395f28e867b2b5aec19e2c684.jpg
a886da3d51da9826c24f90472c228daa.jpg
3f1f30d08f291df68712d65ce98f7e03.jpg
3405596c0e3f00c0812aca8555846921.jpg
1cd912dc1dba8d7813b114a12bf1bb74.jpg

Back
Top Bottom