I should have hired a professional in the first place

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
Share your stories of when YOU tried to DIY and failed and ended up hiring a professional.
I'll go first.

I working on some new uniforms that need logos printed on them.
I declined the service offered by the uniform seller because I wanted to try it myself SINCE I HAD SUCCESS BEFORE.

I bought screen printing supplies. I've attempted the most advanced option, which is the Photo Emulsion process.

I guess I had beginner luck THAT time because I'm failing miserably this time. I've spent almost $300 so far this time, plus several hours of my time.

Think I'm going to try the Cut Stencil process before I give up.

Kenny Hayes

Name
Kenny Hayes
WHY screen printing uniforms? Marty’s favorite line, just clean carpet! Uniforms are tax deductible, why mess with it.

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
I'm installing closed cell foam insulation on my garage doors today. We'll see how that goes.
Well, I got the large door almost done. I'm covered in spray foam. It won't come off my hands without taking off a layer of skin. I should have worn gloves. There is already a huge difference in temperature within my garage. My garage doors face west to they get all the sun and heat. My garage will get up to 130 degrees in the summer. I've been meaning to insulate it for years.

D Luke

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
Share your stories of when YOU tried to DIY and failed and ended up hiring a professional.
I'll go first.

I declined the service offered by the uniform seller because I wanted to try it myself SINCE I HAD SUCCESS BEFORE.

I bought screen printing supplies. I've attempted the most advanced option, which is the Photo Emulsion process.

I guess I had beginner luck THAT time because I'm failing miserably this time. I've spent almost $300 so far this time, plus several hours of my time.

I used to screen print my own shirts when I was in a touring rock band in my youth.

It was a lot like carpet cleaning. Not rocket science, but hard to get perfect.

Reactions: Papa John

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Not too much I can't do or haven't done if I know what needs done.
\Plenty things I won't do, and even more I don't want to do, but do for financial and/or less inconvenience to me reasons

overall..
My f'k-ups have been the result of poor diagnostics (fixing/changing chit that ain't broke/wasn't the problem in the first place)

Waisted days and dollars under an Astro* van tranny and still didn't get it right
(*the greatest, most reliable mini-cargo van in the history of the world)

now-a-dayz, I'm considering fcking up again with some minor body work.
Pro Body shops want $600 to $800
I may attempt something myself knowing I don't know chit about body work 🤪

..L.T.A.

Meter Maid

The Undetective
Name
Chris
Used to be lots of things I’d screw up and should’ve hired a pro.

YouTube has decreased that a lot. With the help from pros on YouTube, it’s unbelievable how easy it is to handle most HVAC and plumbing issues by myself.

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
Working on machines is the biggest blunder and time and money waster.
Luckily my dad taught me how to repair and maintain cars.
I'm faster and better than the distracted, low-paid kids my dealer hires.
I cut the foam to fit, then sealed the edges with the spray foam. How in the hell do I get this stuff off my hands!?
Use a propane torch; it will melt off. :eekk: 🤣
Or try paint thinner
WHY screen printing uniforms? Marty’s favorite line, just clean carpet! Uniforms are tax deductible, why mess with it.
My uniforms are a billboard for my business, and they look professional and, well uniform.

• Haha
Reactions: Nomad74

Kenny Hayes

Name
Kenny Hayes
Now wait, I didn’t say no uniforms, I implying hire a pro to print them. My people wear shirts and T-shirts that we provide. Screen print pro!😬

Reactions: Papa John

Kenny Hayes

Name
Kenny Hayes
Now wait, I didn’say no uniforms, I implying hire a pro to print them. My people wear shirts and T-shirts that we provide. Screen print pro!

FredC

Village Idiot
Gasoline didn't work. I couldn't believe it. I thought gas would do it for sure.

you ain't getting that stuff off except through mechanical means...............soak your hands for a few hours and it might be easier

darcie smith

Name
darcie smith
I'll go first.

Back when Scott was working a day job and cleaning on the side, he was using a website builder and maintaining it himself. We were talking about having someone else make a website but Scott kept insisting he could do it himself cheaper. I asked him if his clients should rent a Rug Doctor then cause they could clean their carpets cheaper, and he hung up on me. 🤷🏻‍♀️

SamIam

Name
sam miller
Melted boot to the spark plug Biotch is tight living spaces lots of special tools needed.

And awkward positions like Mikey hunching on a aw29

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Melted boot to the spark plug Biotch is tight living spaces lots of special tools needed.

And awkward positions like Mikey hunching on a aw29
You need to stop diagnosing your van yourself and bring it to a qualified mechanic. When you are there, keep your mouth shut except for telling him or her, what the symptoms are. Resist the urge to say what you think is wrong because then they will replace those parts without solving the problem.

SamIam

Name
sam miller
You need to stop diagnosing your van yourself and bring it to a qualified mechanic. When you are there, keep your mouth shut except for telling him or her, what the symptoms are. Resist the urge to say what you think is wrong because then they will replace those parts without solving the problem.
So my code reader is totally wrong?

Reactions: BIG WOOD

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
So my code reader is totally wrong?
Yes it is.

My box van was telling me that the throttle position sensor was bad. It was just fine. The mechanic hooked up his electronic thingy and noticed the engine temp sensor was bad, throwing off different temp readings, causing it to act crazy.

TAke it to a mechanic

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
I ended up taking my kids to the water slide park. Spending the day soaking in the lazy Lagoon helped my hands quite a bit. I was able to pick off most if not all the foam from my hand. My fingernails still have a little bit on them. I peeled off a good layer of skin.

Reactions: Cleanworks

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I ended up taking my kids to the water slide park. Spending the day soaking in the lazy Lagoon helped my hands quite a bit. I was able to pick off most if not all the foam from my hand. My fingernails still have a little bit on them. I peeled off a good layer of skin.
Next time apply a barrier cream first.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom