I shoulda bought a Vortex..

Mikey P

Administrator
Sterling trucks went out of business. Mitsubishi is the same truck and has stopped production and will not make another 1400 until 2010. Most people at Mitsubishi say they will not even then. They can not compete in that market and want out.

A years worth of AT owners are gonna be PISSED!

cu

Supportive Member
Name
Cu
shoulda got a judson...put it in any van or truck you want and away you gooooooooooooo

Mike Draper

Vortex is a great machine for you warm climate guys, I have 4 buddies up here and they don't heat for shit in the winter until you've been runnin them 2 hours, even then??? If they would get rid of the oil HX then it would be unbeatable.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Just buy two smaller rigs for the same price and be in two places at once.

Am I still the only one who sees this?

Jimbo

Mikeyxj8 said:
Vortex is a great machine for you warm climate guys, I have 4 buddies up here and they don't heat for shit in the winter until you've been runnin them 2 hours, even then??? If they would get rid of the oil HX then it would be unbeatable.

Your friends must not be aware of the warm up procedure, Mike. I was challenged to get mine to warm up quickly...until I learned from a Vortex sensei (??) the art of warming up on the first job. You HAVE to put the unit under full load for about ten to twelve minutes...RPM on my old one at 1400...vac ports sealed...so it ran at max hg.

The other things to check are 'burping' the oil Heat exchange every 4 weeks or so...that took about two minutes...and making sure the oil level is at the proper point...and making sure the exhaust diverter is working properly. Jim Martin has authored some very concise posts about that subject.

In my humble opinion...the heat exchange system on the Vortex is one of simplicity...it produces exceptional heat.- Jim

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
I think Aerotech could gain alot of market and American Pride by swithching to the Chevrolet or GMC W series Cab overs. If Butler doesn't have them on some kinda of no compete clause. I know it would defantly help sway my GM dedicated Dad to least consider the big trucks.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Brian Robison said:

But in the long run it is not the same price.......you have the insurance...maintenance cost.......wear and tear..
not to even mention fuel cost...everything you pay on one van you now will pay on 2....If you are a 2 person crew..it would be cheaper to put both in one truck...granted you can't be in 2 places at once but that is just all in how you set up your schedule..so if you have 1 truck that can preform like 2..then why double your equipment cost....

I looked into this before I got mine..my cds was a pain to work with trying to keep up.I was going to buy another.... split things up and have to double my cost ....it was much cheaper the direction I went and have same thousands of dollars..

G

That never worked for me till I got 2nd and 3rd truck; I was loosing money. I would love a Vortex; but unless I win a lottery or something; my credit would never allow it; I guess you guys finance those things; I know its hard enough coming up with 20k for supplies and new parts for gas burners; I would never be able to save 70 to 90k for 1 machine.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
rjfdube said:
That never worked for me till I got 2nd and 3rd truck; I was loosing money. I would love a Vortex; but unless I win a lottery or something; my credit would never allow it; I guess you guys finance those things; I know its hard enough coming up with 20k for supplies and new parts for gas burners; I would never be able to save 70 to 90k for 1 machine.

a lot of time what everyone does not understand when I mention things like this is that I bought a used one for almost the same price as a cds and van unit...and even the money I have chose to put into it I am still ahead in the cost...this was a finance not a lease..I can pay it off early and save the interest and I am not getting hit with property tax...so I save a ton in going that route...it cost me no more to run this then it did my CDS...mine is a 1200..I don't carry the weight that everyone else does...I kept my van for awhile to make sure I would not need it and after I set the truck up and ran it for awhile .....I did not need the extra expense and so I sold it...It may not be the choice for everyone....but for myself it has been one of the best business moves I have made.....I like PTO machines...and diesel is built to run....I trust it more sitting out there at a idle then I ever did my Chevy van in this heat...

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Jim Martin said:
[quote="Brian Robison":1sak1e5t]Just buy two smaller rigs for the same price and be in two places at once.

But in the long run it is not the same price.......you have the insurance...maintenance cost.......wear and tear..
not to even mention fuel cost...everything you pay on one van you now will pay on 2....If you are a 2 person crew..it would be cheaper to put both in one truck...granted you can't be in 2 places at once but that is just all in how you set up your schedule..so if you have 1 truck that can preform like 2..then why double your equipment cost....

I looked into this before I got mine..my cds was a pain to work with trying to keep up.I was going to buy another.... split things up and have to double my cost ....it was much cheaper the direction I went and have same thousands of dollars..[/quote:1sak1e5t]

Insurance is more on equipment that costs more so it shouldn't make a difference. They are insuring money not products....and liability so maybe a liiittle more for two cheaper trucks.

If the V is in the shop you don't have a back up...if one of the smaller trucks is down at least you have the other.

Fuel should be the same because the V drives to two jobs and the smaller trucks drive to one each.

I don't see the equipment cost being double...maybe a little more but I wouldn't think so.
If you are using the V twice as much then you are more likely to have more maintenance...equaling the two other...IE. oil changes, belts, hoses etc.

As far as scheduling the "being in two places" thing will become important the busier you are. I would imagine that a job or two would be lost because the one job is on a job and they need it now...but everyone schedules their own way.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Brian Robison said:
[quote="Jim Martin":15xa34u4][quote="Brian Robison":15xa34u4]Just buy two smaller rigs for the same price and be in two places at once.

I looked into this before I got mine..my cds was a pain to work with trying to keep up.I was going to buy another.... split things up and have to double my cost ....it was much cheaper the direction I went and have same thousands of dollars..[/quote:15xa34u4]

Insurance is more on equipment that costs more so it shouldn't make a difference. They are insuring money not products....and liability so maybe a liiittle more for two cheaper trucks.

If the V is in the shop you don't have a back up...if one of the smaller trucks is down at least you have the other.

Fuel should be the same because the V drives to two jobs and the smaller trucks drive to one each.

I don't see the equipment cost being double...maybe a little more but I wouldn't think so.
If you are using the V twice as much then you are more likely to have more maintenance...equaling the two other...IE. oil changes, belts, hoses etc.

As far as scheduling the "being in two places" thing will become important the busier you are. I would imagine that a job or two would be lost because the one job is on a job and they need it now...but everyone schedules their own way.[/quote:15xa34u4]

and once again.......it is all in the structure of your company on what works best for you

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Brian Robison said:
I concur.
But's it's fun to debate these things.
Thanks Jim.

Get's my morning going.

I agree.sometimes it is better then a good strong cup of coffee..have a good day...........

The Great Oz

Name
bryan

Nope.

If you're running an Isuzu (which is the maker of the GMC, sorry to ruin your buy American sentiment) you need to install a big transmission cooler if you didn't order one with the truck. Otherwise your transmission is very likely to suffer an early failure.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
The Great Oz said:

Nope.

If you're running an Isuzu (which is the maker of the GMC, sorry to ruin your buy American sentiment) you need to install a big transmission cooler if you didn't order one with the truck. Otherwise your transmission is very likely to suffer an early failure.

who said anything about that?

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
:roll: well it was just wishful thinking. Althought you and I know Isuzu make the GMC, doesn't change the guys opinions who signs my checks. Guess no badge no buy. Guess somebody just needs to design a truck from the ground up centered around a carpet cleaning machine. Then you could have underbody freshwater tanks and waste tanks that are insulated and heated to prevent freezing, and keep center of gravity down lower, The controls and blower could sit at the very front of the box with exterior plumbing for both solution and blower lines. Leaving almost an entirely empty box for stuff.

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
That is the beauty of building from the ground up.. let the engineers figure it out.. lol. I wish I had artistic talent and I would scketch an idear. Here is a possiblity for a subfloor saddle freshwater tank.

freshwatertank.jpg

Assuming an overall dimension of 6' by 4' by 2' with the drop down sides of 1 feet by 1 feet by 4 feet leaving a 3' span for frame rails w/ insulation would yield you approximatly 230 gallons of freshwater. Purely a real quick guesstimate.

Even with leaving a wastetank and machines inside you could free up that much more room in a box.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Years ago we had a cutaway van with a 14' box and a CDS. It had a cabover compartment big enough to hold all of the cleaning supplies, and since the CDS works were between the seats, the only thing in the box was a 9" by 20" tank that dropped into a 200 gallon tank underneath on the driver's side. If we had wanted to we could have installed a matching freshwater tank on the passenger side. It was our first-response water damage truck and back-up cleaning van.

Other than having the box built by the Crapmasters at Utilimaster, it was a great piece of equipment. We sold it when we got out of the WD biz, and I'd like to have another.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom