I think I'll get into that Carpet Cleaning business..

Mikey P

Administrator
We've all heard that a few times.

A customer who figures out your hourly take, a guy who knows his 100k a year job is about to go away, a uncle looking for a new career..

What percentage of those folks picture themselves on a truck out sucking cat piss 6 days a week and what % picture themselves sitting behind a desk designing next months mailer, working on his site's SEO and going through job applications for a new helper for truck number 8?

In other words, a guy looking for a new gig goes to a Business Opportunity or Franchise Convention and right between the Cold Stone Creamery and the Refillable Ink Cartridge booths is a table loaded with info on what a great career Carpet Cleaning can be.

Is that guy's first thought "how many employees will I need to pull it off" or "I wonder if I'll sweat as much as the Nitty Gritty Cleaners guy we had out last summer?"

What do you say?

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
i have at least three custys that have been talking "the talk" for a few years now...
but they never walk the walk.........

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
Chem Lie is dying here 2 franchises poof in the last year

Walt

I've been hearing that more lately. It's actually makes me a little sheepish when they ask, "how's business?" I used to say, "Great!" But now I'm much more reserved.

So far most guys don't seem to want to do the work. I think they look at it as demeaning to do physica labor. One said, and I quote, "carpet cleaning is a lot like mowing lawns except you make a lot more money, huh?" I didn't even know how to respond to that. I had half a mind to say that they certainly treated their carpet like a lawn letting the dog pee on it, so I guess I can see where he got the idea. But alas I didn't. I smiled, did the work and collected the check.

Anyway, I think for most it's to big of a shot to the ego after 4 -8 years of college to do what I do. I think they are thinking big - franchise or franchise like. Just dreaming.

Personally, I'd rather clean up cat pee 6 days a week then go sit in an office for 10 hours a day. Been there, done that.

I bought my first brand new truck yesterday (Toyota Tacoma). The salesman was very intrigued with my business. One of his ex-girlfriend's father cleaned part time and told him it was a goldmine. He starts asking me all kinds of questions. I told him if he was serious to take a class and work for Stanley or similar company to get some experience. Then I said you would be better off doing it as a side job and told him to check out Mytee's site. He doesn't have a clue in the world of what he is doing. I have been getting a lot of people asking me about the cleaning business.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
You have to have a passion for this kind of work.
Years ago working in a school district I would pour over all the chemicals and msds sheets because I found them interesting. I did testing in my home on carpet swatches with emulsifiers and spotting chems. Now this was before all the internet and really the only way was to find out for yourself.

So I knew that this was what I wanted to do.
I eagerly did every job and learned as I went along.

My customers picked up on that and trusted I knew what I was doing.
You just can't develop that passion because you're looking at some easy money.
This is hard brutal work and most cubicle dwellers want no part of that.

My son who went to college expressed interest right out of school to join me.
I quickly found out his passion by his actions of standing around with his hands in his pockets waiting for me to tell him what to do.

He had no passion so now he pisses and moans about his cubicle job.

Ron K

Walrus said:
You have to have a passion for this kind of work.

I hope someone tells all those people out there chasing $5.00-$7.00 per square foot that. Seems to me that some would be better off just cleaning an additional House per week. Or 100 hotel rooms @ $4.00 per!

-JB-

Name
JB
Just wait till they actually hafta get off their fat asses and do it for a day or two, that will generally change their minds.

Chris A

Name
Chris
That's funny, a lot of people do see manual labor as demeaning, but then I talk to a lot of customers that are also business owners, and they get it.

R

R W

This also applies to all the new roofing, siding, powerwashing,tree trimming, gutter-installing businesses that have popped up this year. And most are willing to work "under-the-table". Can u imagine that start-up tree trimmer falling out of YOUR tree with no workers comp or business insurance?

Law suits a-waiting to happen.

we've had a load of out-of-state contractors in the area for the last year, convincing homeowners to have there roofing and siding replaced due to a hail storm exactly 1 year ago. And most insurance companies are covering the storm damage.

Chris A

Name
Chris
We had the same thing in Akron a couple years ago when the big hail storm hit, lots of shady contractors and big problems...

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
You either have it in ya or ya don't

One guy told me "I went to college for 4 years and you make more per hour than I do".

The most uneducated people in the world have become the richest.

You have to be smart enough to surround yourself with people smarter than you.

Yes, I know, I know...not hard for me to do, right Harper?

I came and come to this board for the same reason...it just doesn't happen as often as it used to.

CleanEvo

The way I look at it is; If people want to get into the business, have at it. I can only worry about my business and providing my customers with the absolute best product I can... anything else I have no control over.

If people ask me how the business is, I'm honest with them... I tell them I love it, I make a good living but I work my ass off.

People get into this business all the time, I wish them all the best.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom