I Used a Portable Last Night...

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Since I haven't cleaned carpet for a paycheck since 1976, I need to stay in practice doing what I call "friends and family cleaning" (ok, I have rental properties too, but tenants are easier to work with than friends and family....and keep their places cleaner too...their landlord is unforgiving of pet messes, kid messes, and hoarding)

Last night I had to use a portable though...and a family member has a guest coming from out of town, and needed carpet and upholstery cleaned and treated for cat odor.

:eekk:

A few things I learned:

1. Bryce Comprone is a super hero. Having to haul one of these things out of a truck (or trailer)....up steps outside..through the house...then upstairs in the house was a visit to the lowest level of Dante's Hell. When this guy gets a truck (trailer) mount, there will be no stopping him!

2. Pet odor treatment with a portable is even less fun than with a truck mount. I had forgotten how nicely the stench of localized urine spreads wonderfully through the entire house when it is extracted through a portable.

3. Now I know why my customers who buy their first truck mount rapidly put their portables in a corner of the garage and allow them to become a cobweb and clutter accumulating fixture, rather than a tool to be used when circumstances demand. Exceptions exist for security weather, Antarctic weather, long term downtime, etc. But overall, I get why guys on my side of 60 would rather turn down a job than to lug one of these things around.

4. How can anyone, truck mount cleaner or portable, do a job after a pet odor treatment job without doing a massive clean up and decontamination of everything that was in the house is beyond me. I drove home with the windows down, and spent this morning decontaminating everything, including the shoes I wore.

5. I have been spoiled by having truck mounts available to me for 50 years now. Last night's experience was a valuable lesson....and one I will do my best not to repeat!

Mikey P

Administrator
Since I haven't cleaned carpet for a paycheck since 1976, I need to stay in practice doing what I call "friends and family cleaning" (ok, I have rental properties too, but tenants are easier to work with than friends and family....and keep their places cleaner too...their landlord is unforgiving of pet messes, kid messes, and hoarding)

Last night I had to use a portable though...and a family member has a guest coming from out of town, and needed carpet and upholstery cleaned and treated for cat odor.

A few things I learned:

1. Bryce Comprone is a super hero. Having to haul one of these things out of a truck (or trailer)....up steps outside..through the house...then upstairs in the house was a visit to the lowest level of Dante's Hell. When this guy gets a truck (trailer) mount, there will be no stopping him!

2. Pet odor treatment with a portable is even less fun than with a truck mount. I had forgotten how nicely the stench of localized urine spreads wonderfully through the entire house when it is extracted through a portable.

3. Now I know why my customers who buy their first truck mount rapidly put their portables in a corner of the garage and allow them to become a cobweb and clutter accumulating fixture, rather than a tool to be used when circumstances demand. Exceptions exist for security weather, Antarctic weather, long term downtime, etc. But overall, I get why guys on my side of 60 would rather turn down a job than to lug one of these things around.

4. How can anyone, truck mount cleaner or portable, do a job after a pet odor treatment job without doing a massive clean up and decontamination of everything that was in the house is beyond me. I drove home with the windows down, and spent this morning decontaminating everything, including the shoes I wore.

5. I have been spoiled by having truck mounts available to me for 50 years now. Last night's experience was a valuable lesson....and one I will do my best not to repeat!

And to think, you could have just had a few pads to wash, or burn...

• Haha
Reactions: Jim Pemberton

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
And to think, you could have just had a few pads to wash, or burn...

I confess it crossed my mind every time I emptied and filled that thing.

When I was a child, my job was to keep my father's shampoo tank filled when he did night and weekend work. When he bought his first hot water extractor I HATED IT! Because now I had to not just fill, but also empty....

Still hate that part of the routine.

JeffC

Name
Jeff
Thanks Jim, that's a very accurate assessment of using a portable. I have 3 but rarely use them for some of the same reasons. I love low moisture especially on commercial carpet. If I did residential and I did HWE, it would definitely be with a truckmount. I do like portables for upholstery though.

Kenny Hayes

Name
Kenny Hayes

A few things I learned:

Signed: Desk Jockey

Kenny Hayes

Name
Kenny Hayes
I used my PEX yesterday to clean a nursery. Too long of a hose run for a truckmount. It was murder but that was because of moving nursery furniture.😏 We’ve vlm throughout the year, so I felt the need.🙄 I hate residential for your stated reasons like you and Chavez hated porty’s. I hate porty’s too, but I hate 175’s and auto scrubbers, and propane buffers, and backpacks, blah blah blah. and People😂🤣

hogjowl

Idiot™
In my humble opinion, you should be selling Bio-8 and Saigercide and you should use them when you have to clean pet dumps.
Of course, you may have a non-compete agreement with The Borg that prevents it. 🤷‍♂️

Bryce C

Name
Bryce
A few things I learned:

Kind words and very encouraging to hear Jim, thank you! After reading this, if it wasn't for appearing like a narcissist I might of put a sticker on my portable saying "Bryce Comprone is a super hero", to motivate me on those days when I feel like taking my last bit of strength and hurling my portable somewhere satisfying. But that wouldn't be prudent. I should at least sell it to put more funds in the business, and ideally keep it for deep com and a backup when my future tm goes down, someday...
I must not of had any serious pet odor jobs because I've never noticed anything when I'm done. Although that is certainly true because the jobs I've done I could hardly notice a smell when inspecting the areas that customers wanted me to address. Hmmm, so dichlor?

Reactions: Living The Dream
Name
Jeff T
Kind words and very encouraging to hear Jim, thank you! After reading this, if it wasn't for appearing like a narcissist I might of put a sticker on my portable saying "Bryce Comprone is a super hero", to motivate me on those days when I feel like taking my last bit of strength and hurling my portable somewhere satisfying. But that wouldn't be prudent. I should at least sell it to put more funds in the business, and ideally keep it for deep com and a backup when my future tm goes down, someday...

I must not of had any serious pet odor jobs because I've never noticed anything when I'm done. Although that is certainly true because the jobs I've done I could hardly notice a smell when inspecting the areas that customers wanted me to address. Hmmm, so dichlor?
NOT FOR THE CARPET Bryce….

Only for decontamination of equipment after…

Swimming pool section of your favourite hardware store. IMG_5364.png

• Haha
Reactions: Bryce C

Bryce C

Name
Bryce
NOT FOR THE CARPET Bryce….

Only for decontamination of equipment after…

Swimming pool section of your favourite hardware store.View attachment 127473
I appreciate your concern about potential misunderstandings hehe. That would be flippin disastrous. I looked it up after it was mentioned and learned that it is a very powerful sanitizer. Quote affordable too.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott

A few things I learned:

I use portables often but not in houses. The secret to urine extraction is blending deodorizer with your urine treatment. Otherwise, yeah, it will stink. I can lift my portable in and out of the van ok but I draw the line at going up stairs. Thankfully enough, it's powerful enough just to add extra hose when I need to. I'll retire before I bring a portable up a flight of stairs again.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
In my humble opinion, you should be selling Bio-8 and Saigercide and you should use them when you have to clean pet dumps.
Of course, you may have a non-compete agreement with The Borg that prevents it. 🤷‍♂️

I’m as independent as they come Marty

I am bringing on a line of products that is new to the industry, and I will be the first distributor.

It’s good to be involved with new technology ...50 years on I still feel that excitement our first truck mount gave me at 15.

SamIam

Name
sam miller

A few things I learned:

Damn that's savage, couldn't pay me enough to bust out a porty

Back
Top Bottom