I walked away from a job today

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
I could hear @Jim Pemberton in my head saying, "We've talked about this Damon, now what are you going to do."

You guys know I'm no stranger to cleaning nasty carpets, but today I came across the worst carpet I've seen in my life. That is saying something because I have seen some real nasty stuff.

When the guy booked the job he said he had a few urine spots. I told him no problem, I come loaded for bear. Boy, was I wrong.

This morning I drove up to a little mountain town 35 miles away called Shingletown. I had to travel a few miles down a pothole filled dirt road until I reached the triple-wide mobile home. In the front yard was a bunch of wheel chairs in assorted states of disrepair, broken light fixtures, and a ton of misc trash that I had no interest in taking a mental inventory of. I could see three Husky dogs looking at me through the window. As I approached the front door I could smell the overwhelming stench of urine. After knocking a few times the guy finally answered the door. When he opened it, the odor hit me like a brick wall. My eyes immediately started watering up.

I entered the house and was overwhelmed by what I saw. What I'm about to say is no exaggeration. The entire floor in the living room and hallway were covered in dog turds. There was not enough bare carpet anywhere to put a foot down without it coming into contact with a turd. Under the fecal matter, I could see the carpet was 100% urine soaked. The normally blue nylon carpet had a yellow tint to it. Gasping for breath to form words I asked the customer if he owned a vacuum cleaner. He said he did and that it would only take him a minute to clean up the mess.

As he told me this I could feel my blood pressure rising. Why didn't he pick up before I got there? He got an email, courtesy call, and a text message prior to my arrival. I just drove 35 miles! I was not going to sit in his dirt driveway for an hour while he raked his carpet treasures into a pile.

The guy tried telling me he works nights and the lady that watches the dogs forgot to put them outside for the evening. I know this was just a weak excuse to mask his embarrassment. This was not one night's worth of neglect. It was years.

I told the guy there was no way I could clean his carpet. I let him know replacement was the only option for his situation.

I didn't take any pics for you guys because I just wanted to get out of there ASAP. You'll just have to take my word it was horrible. The guy seemed a little nuts. I was actually a little afraid to tell him I was refusing to clean his place for fear he would kill me.

Last edited:

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I could hear @Jim Pemberton in my head saying, "We've talked about this Damon, what are you going to do."

You guys know I'm no stranger to cleaning nasty carpets, but today I came across the worst carpet I've seen in my life. That is saying something because I have seen some real nasty stuff.

When the guy booked the job he said he had a few urine spots. I told him no problem, I come loaded for bear. Boy, was I wrong.

This morning I drove up to a little mountain town 35 miles away called Shingletown. I had to travel a few miles down a pothole filled dirt road until I reached the triple-wide mobile home. In the front yard was a bunch of wheel chairs in assorted states of disrepair, broken light fixtures, and a ton of misc trash that I had no interest in taking a mental inventory of. I could see three Husky dogs looking at me through the window. As I approached the front door I could smell the overwhelming stench of urine. After knocking a few times the guy finally answered the door. When he opened it, the odor hit me like a brick wall. My eyes immediately started to water up.

I entered the house and was overwhelmed by what I saw. What I'm about to say is no exaggeration. The entire floor in the living room and hallway were covered in dog turds. There was not enough bare carpet anywhere to put a foot down without it coming into contact with a turd. Under the fecal matter, I could see the carpet was 100% urine soaked. The normally blue nylon carpet had a yellow tint to it. Gasping for breath to form words I asked the customer if he owned a vacuum cleaner. He said he did and that it would only take him a minute to clean up the mess.

As he told me this I could feel my blood pressure rising. Why didn't he pick up before I got there? I just drove 35 miles! I was not going to sit in his dirt driveway for an hour while he raked his carpet treasures into a pile.

They guy tried telling me he works nights and the lady that watches the dogs forgot to put them outside for the evening. I know this was just a weak excuse to make his embarrassment. This was not one night's worth of neglect. It was years.

I told the guy there was no way I could clean his carpet. I let him know replacement was the only option for his situation.

I didn't take any pics for you guys because I just wanted to get out of there ASAP. You'll just have to take my word it was horrible. The guy seemed a little nuts. I was actually a little afraid to tell him I was refusing to clean his place for fear he would kill me.
I would have ran.

Reactions: Nomad74
Name
Jeff T
I could hear @Jim Pemberton in my head saying, "We've talked about this Damon, now what are you going to do."

This morning I drove up to a little mountain town 35 miles away called Shingletown. I had to travel a few miles down a pothole filled dirt road until I reached the triple-wide mobile home. In the front yard was a bunch of wheel chairs in assorted states of disrepair, broken light fixtures, and a ton of misc trash that I had no interest in taking a mental inventory of. I could see three Husky dogs looking at me through the window. As I approached the front door I could smell the overwhelming stench of urine. After knocking a few times the guy finally answered the door. When he opened it, the odor hit me like a brick wall. My eyes immediately started to water up.

As he told me this I could feel my blood pressure rising. Why didn't he pick up before I got there? I just drove 35 miles! I was not going to sit in his dirt driveway for an hour while he raked his carpet treasures into a pile.

They guy tried telling me he works nights and the lady that watches the dogs forgot to put them outside for the evening. I know this was just a weak excuse to make his embarrassment. This was not one night's worth of neglect. It was years.

Dear lord, I don’t envy you at all..

Name
Brad Gouveia
Yes I had a few that you can just smell the piss when you ring the door. Anymore when I get those I look and find ways to triple my price so I can walk away from it. How can you live like that I have no clue.

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Yes I had a few that you can just smell the piss when you ring the door. Anymore when I get those I look and find ways to triple my price so I can walk away from it. How can you live like that I have no clue.
Haha.

When I got there, the guy told me the "the last time I had it cleaned it cost me $200". I don't think I would have done it for $1000. My van would smell like urine for a week. I'd have to return my vacuum to Best Buy, and that would just be unethical.

Reactions: Kenny Hayes
Name
Jeff T
We spent the day doing rugs at the shop. Yes there was urine on 2, nothing dichlor wouldn’t take care of...
I draw the line at poop...

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.

This morning I drove up to a little mountain town 35 miles away called Shingletown. I had to travel a few miles down a pothole filled dirt road until I reached the triple-wide mobile home. In the front yard was a bunch of wheel chairs in assorted states of disrepair, broken light fixtures, and a ton of misc trash that I had no interest in taking a mental inventory of. I could see three Husky dogs looking at me through the window. As I approached the front door I could smell the overwhelming stench of urine. After knocking a few times the guy finally answered the door. When he opened it, the odor hit me like a brick wall. My eyes immediately started watering up.

As he told me this I could feel my blood pressure rising. Why didn't he pick up before I got there? He got an email, courtesy call, and a text message prior to my arrival. I just drove 35 miles! I was not going to sit in his dirt driveway for an hour while he raked his carpet treasures into a pile.

The guy tried telling me he works nights and the lady that watches the dogs forgot to put them outside for the evening. I know this was just a weak excuse to mask his embarrassment. This was not one night's worth of neglect. It was years.

You need to quit being a sissy and pull out that camera right in front of the guy and snap some good pics.

• Haha
Reactions: Mikey P and Nomad74
Name
Doug B
There was a large living room job in the early days that I should have walked from. Inexperienced me felt somewhat compelled to do it because I had already re-scheduled them due to a brake line failure, they had a coupon and I needed revenue.

They had three little dogs that they didn't walk as they should. They picked up the poop, but you could tell where it had been. I did that job monthly for about 18 months. Their young adult grandson moved in for the last two visits and he had started walking the dogs. Then I saw the wife's obit in the paper and was never called again.

• Sad

Kenny Hayes

Name
Kenny Hayes
My turd house is coming up after Easter. He better use that snow shovel. Why do they always make excuses about whose fault? It’s your fault dipstick!!!

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Worst job was a section 8 in a nice neighborhood in the burbs.
Can't tell you their color or that would be RACIST!

But on the main level grandpa lived in the living room with his hospital bed........next to the fireplace. Not only did the whole house smell like PISS and WEED.............but grandpa had a PISS BUCKET next to his bed. The 5 GALLON PISS BUCKET was half full.

I felt so dirty I had to come home and curl up on the floor of my shower for 2 hours.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Worst job was a section 8 in a nice neighborhood in the burbs.
Can't tell you their color or that would be RACIST!

But on the main level grandpa lived in the living room with his hospital bed........next to the fireplace. Not only did the whole house smell like PISS and WEED.............but grandpa had a PISS BUCKET next to his bed. The 5 GALLON PISS BUCKET was half full.

I felt so dirty I had to come home and curl up on the floor of my shower for 2 hours.
PUSSY! 🤭

Numero Uno

Name
Caesar
Good,at that point you resisted tempation.
Which it was.
Take me for example.
Ain't been this broke since 11.
,58 bucks to my name an not alot of hours due to illness.
But know this honestly.
If I took my truck(sitting outside rotting)
An was in business.
If I knew better even if I was as hungry as I am.
I would say no.
No is one of the powerful,words many never say with intent ...
When we form our business.
We do so with character an many see green.
An well as yrs go by you see the egos ,but not the man...
May your career make you happy in later yrs.bottomline

Reactions: Steve Lawrence
Back
Top Bottom