I wonder what the psychology behind this is

Mikey P

Administrator
Why do carpet cleaners who forego pre vacuuming by $1,500 wands?

Do they somehow think the swivel in window and curb feeler and headlights are going to do something that for going the most important step does?

Mikey P

Administrator
Incredible amount of carpet cleaners by these so-called high performance wands it all feature slot Glides that are way too wide, and they lock down and beat the cleaner up whether it's the owner operator or the techn.
Hey call me asking if I have a relief for their issue and I recommend the whole or a hybrid and then they quickly figure out that they plug up because of their lack of vacuuming

And then the wand goes up for sale on Craigslist

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
I'm not sure that you have as much of a correlation as you might think Mike.

The vast, VAST majority of carpet cleaners do not do a dry vacuum step before HWE (and many before VLM... :eekk:).

I can't recall the last truck mount that came in for service that had a vacuum cleaner in it. Lord knows they have everything ELSE in the darn truck....but rarely a vacuum cleaner.

By virtue of that, you could easily see a large amount of cleaners buying wands in this price range that don't vacuum first, just because most don't, no matter what wand that they use.

When I was a younger man, cleaners focused on what truck mount had the highest CFM, lift, heat capacity, etc. In the past couple of decades, the majority of the machines, especially those made by the "establishment" manufacturers, all produced similar specs. Cleaners began to pay more attention to wands than machines, and looked for ways to increase production and reduce fatigue.

Machine types and wand types have little relationship to procedures, and frankly vacuum cleaners just don't have much sex appeal to most cleaners.

Mikey P

Administrator
I tell them to vacuum
Screw them if they wont
But this is really about selling wands
I understand

I get you the numbers of the two identical cases I'm dealing with today, and you can sell them a new wand.

People get a little grouchy when they spend 15 to 1800 and can't move it.

They want me to guarantee one of my Glides is the solution to their problem, not going to happen

I had a guy a couple weeks ago telling me that the hybrid glide on his aw29 was too much for him to push...

Mikey P

Administrator
But speaking of on sales I highly influential hardwood floor cleaner took possession in one of my world's greatest multi-surface ones today.

Assuming he doesn't blow up or warp his first project, it should lead to a tremendous fourth quarter

jeffexe

Name
jeff
I'm not sure that you have as much of a correlation as you might think Mike.

The vast, VAST majority of carpet cleaners do not do a dry vacuum step before HWE (and many before VLM... :eekk:).

I can't recall the last truck mount that came in for service that had a vacuum cleaner in it. Lord knows they have everything ELSE in the darn truck....but rarely a vacuum cleaner.

By virtue of that, you could easily see a large amount of cleaners buying wands in this price range that don't vacuum first, just because most don't, no matter what wand that they use.

When I was a younger man, cleaners focused on what truck mount had the highest CFM, lift, heat capacity, etc. In the past couple of decades, the majority of the machines, especially those made by the "establishment" manufacturers, all produced similar specs. Cleaners began to pay more attention to wands than machines, and looked for ways to increase production and reduce fatigue.

Machine types and wand types have little relationship to procedures, and frankly vacuum cleaners just don't have much sex appeal to most cleaners.
Pre examine, Pre Vacuum, Pre condition. Post extraction, Post speed dry with air movers. Most carpet cleaners do not understand the Pre and Post of the art of carpet cleaning. They just want to pop in and pop out and grab a check.

jeffexe

Name
jeff
Why do carpet cleaners who forego pre vacuuming by $1,500 wands?

Do they somehow think the swivel in window and curb feeler and headlights are going to do something that for going the most important step does?
Ill tell you Mike. I never used a hole glide until I purchased the chosen wand. I ordered a slot and the hole glide, not believing I would ever use the hole glide...After testing it on a couple jobs vs the slot wand, I was surprised at the difference in dry time and ease of use, especially on area carpets and thick residential carpets. The hole glide is completely useless if you do not pre vacuum, but in my opinion that is part of the service, especially residential carpets. When done properly 2jets at 2 flow running a pressure of 450psi is all that is needed. No super trucks, wands and toys. Just common sense carpet cleaning

• Love
Reactions: Mikey P

Mikey P

Administrator
I’m not trying to be a know it all, I don’t have to try, but I learned that in probably 2000.
All you had to do was ask.
Idiot

Did you know the original hole Glide that Ken Harris sold me, which was the first Glide sold into the United States, was two rows of 2 mm holes....

That being said with my chosen lawn I still enjoy the benefits of easy peasy Glide swap outs and throw on the slot Glide for pig pens every once in awhile.

Which is a pretty super duper cool feature that you would think one of the brilliant minds behind swivel wands would have adapted to..

Reactions: jeffexe

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
I believe offset wands are harder to push , so you know what wand to buy if you have these issues. I’ve never liked anything offset

Mikey P

Administrator
" my slider don't fits".... IMG_20240917_154321.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: Josh Wood

Mikey P

Administrator
Every week I have countless conversations where people want to know what's the best Glide..

When it comes for the uncomfortable moment when they have to admit that they or their techs don't pre vacuum, you can always hear the guilt in their voice...

No one and I mean no one, is ever proud of that inconvenient Truth...

Last edited:

Mikey P

Administrator
I haven't had one of THOSE calls in a while but, wow, did people take advantage of her.

The over 50 club wouldn't just get one glide, they'd get some for their buddies too.

when most, if not all, found out I wasn't playing that game, they bought lesser import junk elsewhere

Had a twenty something ask if he could get the same deal his recently deceased dad got....

Another deadbeat said he would go to her house and "pick up a bunch" from her, no doubt selling them...

She gave away more money then she earned..

and she has zilch to show for it

Just a decrepit old Pug named Marty, and it's twenty something relatives..

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
I haven't had one of THOSE calls in a while but, wow, did people take advantage of her.

The over 50 club wouldn't just get one glide, they'd get some for their buddies too.

when most, if not all, found out I wasn't playing that game, they bought lesser import junk elsewhere

Had a twenty something ask if he could get the same deal his recently deceased dad got....

Another deadbeat said he would go to her house and "pick up a bunch" from her, no doubt selling them...

She gave away more money then she earned..

and she has zilch to show for it

Just a decrepit old Pug named Marty, and it's twenty something relatives..

Lisa was kind beyond measure to this industry.

Ask most cleaners today if they know who she is, and you get a blank stare.

😢

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton

Sorry for the delayed response....when I say "Him" with a capital H, I thought you were talking to a much MUCH more important entity than I....and that you were just giving Elohim a diminutive nickname....sort of like "Marty" instead of Martin.

But this morning I saw my error.

To your question:

We have so many glideless cleaners that I'm working on converting that it isn't an issue between "hole" or "slot" but instead "no glide" or "glide"

There are so many cleaners their own vac relief "modifications" (flattened or missing recovery tank gaskets), that they really don't need to do that.

:biggrin:

• Wow
Reactions: Mikey P

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom