ICRA Performance Assement

Mikey P

Administrator
Not so long ago the IICRC had some competion in training the cleaning industry. I would assume most of you neve saw this but how do you think you would do if assed in this way?

Carpet Cleaning Technician
Station 1: Fiber Identification and Choice of Cleaning Product

Purpose of this task: In order to identify proper cleaning chemistry to be used; it is imperative
that the fibers to be cleaned are identified. Knowing the fiber content and characteristics of
the specific fiber will also assist in understanding its performance and soiling potential.
The candidate will perform the proper procedures needed to disengage a yarn from each
identified, carpet sample provided. The tools necessary for the “burn test” will be provided.
No additional educational materials concerning the burn test will be provided. The candidate
must identify the carpet fiber used to produce each of the carpet samples and indicate on the
recording sheet provided the name of the fiber/s and type of fiber/s tested using the codes
indicated on the form.

The candidate will also have an option to confirm their findings with chemical analysis. Formic
acid and bleach will be available at the testing station. CAUTION: There are inherent risks
associated with the burn test and chemical analysis. The appropriate Personal Protective
Equipment (PPE) is required to be used at the station by all candidates and caution is to be
used. Candidate is required to provide their own PPE (see checklist).
Specific directions for the workstation will be provided at test time at the Fiber Identification
Station.
The candidate will be asked to identify the following fibers: Acrylic/Wool blend, nylon,
olefin/polypropylene, polyester/triexta, wool, and backing samples consisting of cellulosic and
olefin/polypropylene.
The candidate will be asked to identify whether the fiber is Natural, Synthetic, or a combination
of natural and synthetic.
The candidate will also be asked to identify with a yes or no whether or not the cleaning
products labeled L1 to L8 would be appropriate on the identified fiber.

Station 2: Carpet Construction Identification

Purpose of this task: Each carpet construction possesses various characteristics that impact the
installation and cleaning process. Knowing the carpet construction assists the qualified cleaner
in knowing what to look for prior to and during the cleaning process
The Candidate will be asked to identify the eight carpet constructions; some of which are not as
popular in the United States but still could be encountered. Along with identifying the carpet
constructions, Candidates will be asked to identify which construction(s) will delaminate.

Station 3: Area and Chemistry Measurements

Purpose of this task: Measurement of an area as well as measuring for proper chemical
dilutions is important in the cleaning process. Measurement of an area is important in the
bidding process as well as application of products and application rate. Mixing of chemicals
used is extremely important in proper cleaning. The importance of following label directions
cannot be over-emphasized. There may be legal ramifications for those that don’t follow these
directions based upon what is being mixed. In order for the product to work as intended by the
manufacturer, mixing directions are critical. Lastly, a dye stability test is often indicated on the
label of many cleaning chemical bottles so that adverse effects can be minimized and to
determine whether or not that product should be used on this textile.
The Candidate will be asked to measure defined areas within the testing area with a tape
measure; a rolatape; a sonar or laser measuring device and measure according to a blueprint
with an architectural ruler. The Candidate will be asked to compute square feet and also
provide an estimate according to additional information supplied. The Candidate will also be
asked to mix certain products according to label instructions.
Lastly, the Candidate will be asked to perform a “dry crock” as well as a “wet side” test to
determine whether or not a product can be used on the textile given.

Station 4: Vacuuming

Purpose of this task: S100 indicates six principles with all cleaning systems. Principle #2
involves vacuuming which is often a missing element and has been identified as a very
important step in the cleaning process to remove dry particle soil. The candidate will be
assessed in three major steps in the vacuuming process: Pre-inspection, Vacuuming Technique,
Re-assembling the vacuum for transport.
The candidate will be asked to inspect the vacuum provided prior to use. The candidate will be
asked to vacuum a certain amount of carpet area and their vacuuming technique will be
assessed. Lastly, the candidate will be asked to pack up the vacuum and prepare it for
transport to the next job. How this is accomplished will be assessed by the assessor.

Station 5A: Cleaning Systems Assessment

Purpose of this task: S100 identifies six cleaning systems plus vacuuming as a stand-alone
system. Some of these systems can also be combined for both maintenance as well as
restorative cleaning. To succeed in cleaning, certain principles must be followed. ICRA will be
testing four of the six cleaning systems due to the fact that the physical motions involved with
some systems parallel other systems.
On a cut-pile carpet, the hot water extraction system will be used. The candidate will be
assessed in their application and use of the pre-spray. The candidate will be instructed to
continue the cleaning process and asked to specifically demonstrate 3 types of wand strokes.
The candidate will finish the cleaning process. The entire cleaning process will be assessed by
the assessor.

Station 5B: Cleaning Systems Assessment

Purpose of this task: S100 identifies six cleaning systems plus vacuuming as a stand-alone
system. Some of these systems can also be combined for both maintenance as well as
restorative cleaning. To succeed in cleaning, certain principles must be followed. ICRA will be
testing four of the six cleaning systems due to the fact that the physical motions involved with
On a loop carpet the candidate will be asked to clean a certain area of the carpet with: 1)
Absorbent Compound Method; 2) Absorbent Pad Method; 3) Encapsulation Cleaning Method.

PAD: Carpet Cleaning Technician
Station 6: Urine Contamination (Full Treatment)

Purpose of this task: There are many ways to deal with urine contamination. This assessment
station will require the candidate to inspect the station, disengage the textile, remove and
replace a section of the tackstrip as well as carpet cushion, deal with the subfloor/substrate,
and finally re-engage the carpet.
The assessor will assess many variables in this full treatment process.

Station 7: Spot & Stain Identification and removal

Purpose of this task: The final station assessment will deal with spots and stains. The
candidate will be given 30 minutes to complete the tasks given at this station. There will be 10
items to identify and attempt removal. All the tools necessary for this station will be provided.
Safety is a key element at this station.
* An exception is being developed to allow for a person with a potential conflict of interest to
be an Assessor by complying with some additional requirements and restrictions that are
currently being developed and reviewed.

hogjowl

Idiot™
Let me first say that I didn’t actually read all that. I made it only about two paragraphs in, so I may not fully understand the actual subject line.
I probably wouldn’t pass the smell test every time to properly identify my two great aunts but I would certainly pass any practical cleaning tests.
To me, much of this still strikes me as useless and unnecessary.

Mikey P

Administrator
Let me first say that I didn’t actually read all that. I made it only about two paragraphs in, so I may not fully understand the actual subject line.
I probably wouldn’t pass the smell test every time to properly identify my two great aunts but I would certainly pass any practical cleaning tests.
To me, much of this still strikes me as useless and unnecessary.
Testing without training is rather odd, and the whole goal to acquire a patch or a diploma for the wall is even more perplexing

Reactions: hogjowl

FredC

Village Idiot
Testing without training is rather odd, and the whole goal to acquire a patch or a diploma for the wall is even more perplexing

My understanding is that they were setting up training and already had WDR classes through other schools (Dewald) and you were advised to get training as well as them recognizing previous (iicrc) training. It just wasn't required for the "hands on" testing.

This goes back to what I was saying a number of years ago that since the major iicrc standards are ANSI nothing prevents other organizations/companies from offering certifications, although not "iicrc certified", based on those standards. Of course they can also offer other training and certifications. The problem is creating a compelling reason to switch certifications by both students and the current educational framework/instructors. PCPs and mill warranties too. When ICRA was created and the iicrc was a clusterfook probably was that time....

Reactions: Mikey P

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Not so long ago the IICRC had some competion in training the cleaning industry. I would assume most of you neve saw this but how do you think you would do if assed in this way?

Station 1: Fiber Identification and Choice of Cleaning Product

Purpose of this task: In order to identify proper cleaning chemistry to be used; it is imperative
that the fibers to be cleaned are identified. Knowing the fiber content and characteristics of
the specific fiber will also assist in understanding its performance and soiling potential.
The candidate will perform the proper procedures needed to disengage a yarn from each
identified, carpet sample provided. The tools necessary for the “burn test” will be provided.
No additional educational materials concerning the burn test will be provided. The candidate
must identify the carpet fiber used to produce each of the carpet samples and indicate on the
recording sheet provided the name of the fiber/s and type of fiber/s tested using the codes
indicated on the form.

The candidate will also have an option to confirm their findings with chemical analysis. Formic
acid and bleach will be available at the testing station. CAUTION: There are inherent risks
associated with the burn test and chemical analysis. The appropriate Personal Protective
Equipment (PPE) is required to be used at the station by all candidates and caution is to be
used. Candidate is required to provide their own PPE (see checklist).
Specific directions for the workstation will be provided at test time at the Fiber Identification
Station.
The candidate will be asked to identify the following fibers: Acrylic/Wool blend, nylon,
olefin/polypropylene, polyester/triexta, wool, and backing samples consisting of cellulosic and
olefin/polypropylene.
The candidate will be asked to identify whether the fiber is Natural, Synthetic, or a combination
of natural and synthetic.
The candidate will also be asked to identify with a yes or no whether or not the cleaning
products labeled L1 to L8 would be appropriate on the identified fiber.

Station 2: Carpet Construction Identification

Purpose of this task: Each carpet construction possesses various characteristics that impact the
installation and cleaning process. Knowing the carpet construction assists the qualified cleaner
in knowing what to look for prior to and during the cleaning process
The Candidate will be asked to identify the eight carpet constructions; some of which are not as
popular in the United States but still could be encountered. Along with identifying the carpet
constructions, Candidates will be asked to identify which construction(s) will delaminate.

Station 3: Area and Chemistry Measurements

Purpose of this task: Measurement of an area as well as measuring for proper chemical
dilutions is important in the cleaning process. Measurement of an area is important in the
bidding process as well as application of products and application rate. Mixing of chemicals
used is extremely important in proper cleaning. The importance of following label directions
cannot be over-emphasized. There may be legal ramifications for those that don’t follow these
directions based upon what is being mixed. In order for the product to work as intended by the
manufacturer, mixing directions are critical. Lastly, a dye stability test is often indicated on the
label of many cleaning chemical bottles so that adverse effects can be minimized and to
determine whether or not that product should be used on this textile.
The Candidate will be asked to measure defined areas within the testing area with a tape
measure; a rolatape; a sonar or laser measuring device and measure according to a blueprint
with an architectural ruler. The Candidate will be asked to compute square feet and also
provide an estimate according to additional information supplied. The Candidate will also be
asked to mix certain products according to label instructions.
Lastly, the Candidate will be asked to perform a “dry crock” as well as a “wet side” test to
determine whether or not a product can be used on the textile given.

Station 4: Vacuuming

Purpose of this task: S100 indicates six principles with all cleaning systems. Principle #2
involves vacuuming which is often a missing element and has been identified as a very
important step in the cleaning process to remove dry particle soil. The candidate will be
assessed in three major steps in the vacuuming process: Pre-inspection, Vacuuming Technique,
Re-assembling the vacuum for transport.
The candidate will be asked to inspect the vacuum provided prior to use. The candidate will be
asked to vacuum a certain amount of carpet area and their vacuuming technique will be
assessed. Lastly, the candidate will be asked to pack up the vacuum and prepare it for
transport to the next job. How this is accomplished will be assessed by the assessor.

Station 5A: Cleaning Systems Assessment

On a cut-pile carpet, the hot water extraction system will be used. The candidate will be
assessed in their application and use of the pre-spray. The candidate will be instructed to
continue the cleaning process and asked to specifically demonstrate 3 types of wand strokes.
The candidate will finish the cleaning process. The entire cleaning process will be assessed by
the assessor.

Station 5B: Cleaning Systems Assessment

On a loop carpet the candidate will be asked to clean a certain area of the carpet with: 1)
Absorbent Compound Method; 2) Absorbent Pad Method; 3) Encapsulation Cleaning Method.

PAD: Carpet Cleaning Technician
Station 6: Urine Contamination (Full Treatment)

Purpose of this task: There are many ways to deal with urine contamination. This assessment
station will require the candidate to inspect the station, disengage the textile, remove and
replace a section of the tackstrip as well as carpet cushion, deal with the subfloor/substrate,
and finally re-engage the carpet.
The assessor will assess many variables in this full treatment process.

Station 7: Spot & Stain Identification and removal

Purpose of this task: The final station assessment will deal with spots and stains. The
candidate will be given 30 minutes to complete the tasks given at this station. There will be 10
items to identify and attempt removal. All the tools necessary for this station will be provided.
Safety is a key element at this station.
* An exception is being developed to allow for a person with a potential conflict of interest to
be an Assessor by complying with some additional requirements and restrictions that are
currently being developed and reviewed.

OK, my opinion:

1. Station 1: There are only three fibers that we should reasonably expect a cleaner to identify: Wool, Nylon, and after that, any of the "polys". And that is if the cleaner is choosing to use cleaning agents that might otherwise harm wool or nylon. Some who clean with HWE never exceed the pH limitations on nylon on any synthetic fiber, and some who clean with VLM use products that are formulated in such a way to not harm any of them. Acrylic? Other than in area rugs, WTH encounters acrylic carpet?

Formic acid and bleach: Formic acid has limited availability, and the percentage of chlorine in readily available chlorine beach isn't strong enough to quickly dissolve wool fibers. I would also hesitate to put either of those products in the hands of even the best of technicians (or owners....be honest with yourselves) so training with it is a questionable activity.

2. Station 2: I understand the reasoning behind identifying carpet backing constructions. My concern is that unless you have a piece of installed carpet and instruction on how to safely disengage it or find an area where the carpet isn't otherwise attached, you are giving them a test exercise that will never be useful in the field.

3. Station 3: This one has merit. There is a poor understanding of dilution throughout our industry, as well as coverage rates. I think the crock and bleeding tests should be in another part though.

4. Station 4: This one has merit. Thank goodness it isn't called "pre-vacuuming".

5. Station 5: I disagree that HWE should be segregated from the other methods by carpet style. Also, in 2023, I think it would be better to have a VLM category that has the use of a CRB, a 175, and an OP machine, and not "bonnet cleaning" versus "encap cleaning". I understand ICRA did this when these distinctions were less understood, but the IICRC really has some inherited sins of being an HWE organization, and this shows this tendency clearly.

6. Station 6: While I like this, I am convinced you are holding your nose when it comes to this part.... :biggrin:

7. Station 7: This one has merit. Why the conflict of interest statement?

Reactions: The Great Oz

Mikey P

Administrator
OK, my opinion:

1. Station 1: There are only three fibers that we should reasonably expect a cleaner to identify: Wool, Nylon, and after that, any of the "polys". And that is if the cleaner is choosing to use cleaning agents that might otherwise harm wool or nylon. Some who clean with HWE never exceed the pH limitations on nylon on any synthetic fiber, and some who clean with VLM use products that are formulated in such a way to not harm any of them. Acrylic? Other than in area rugs, WTH encounters acrylic carpet?

Formic acid and bleach: Formic acid has limited availability, and the percentage of chlorine in readily available chlorine beach isn't strong enough to quickly dissolve wool fibers. I would also hesitate to put either of those products in the hands of even the best of technicians (or owners....be honest with yourselves) so training with it is a questionable activity.

2. Station 2: I understand the reasoning behind identifying carpet backing constructions. My concern is that unless you have a piece of installed carpet and instruction on how to safely disengage it or find an area where the carpet isn't otherwise attached, you are giving them a test exercise that will never be useful in the field.

3. Station 3: This one has merit. There is a poor understanding of dilution throughout our industry, as well as coverage rates. I think the crock and bleeding tests should be in another part though.

4. Station 4: This one has merit. Thank goodness it isn't called "pre-vacuuming".

5. Station 5: I disagree that HWE should be segregated from the other methods by carpet style. Also, in 2023, I think it would be better to have a VLM category that has the use of a CRB, a 175, and an OP machine, and not "bonnet cleaning" versus "encap cleaning". I understand ICRA did this when these distinctions were less understood, but the IICRC really has some inherited sins of being an HWE organization, and this shows this tendency clearly.

6. Station 6: While I like this, I am convinced you are holding your nose when it comes to this part.... :biggrin:

Up until yesterday I had believed ICRA's goal, and what the IICRC bought was a complete training and testing "institute" slash competitor.

What they got was the above carpet technician test, a tufted carpet repair test, and a water damage test.

Hopefully they got some ground work for a lot more but I doubt it.

Jim did you get my email this am regarding tis subject?

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Up until yesterday I had believed ICRA's goal, and what the IICRC bought was a complete training and testing "institute" slash competitor.

What they got was the above carpet technician test, a tufted carpet repair test, and a water damage test.

Hopefully they got some ground work for a lot more but I doubt it.

Jim did you get my email this am regarding tis subject?

I did.

Its just more fun replying and sharing my irritation publicly here than doing homework.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
1. Station 1: ...Acrylic? Other than in area rugs, WTH encounters acrylic carpet?
Agree for most fibers. Odd stuff usually only at the higher end, but acrylic not blended with wool is still out there as "flipper wool." Cleaners would only need to ID it when they have a browning situation that makes no sense.
2. Station 2: I understand the reasoning behind identifying carpet backing constructions...
Detach and reinstall covered in 6, but a floor vent or detaching a corner behind the door is easier for construction ID.
The "Assessors" were IICRC instructors, who faced potential backlash from the IICRC.

ICRA was born from people out of power positions at IICRC, so worked as an both irritant to the IICRC and money grab for the owner and instructors. They could get paid without developing courses or teaching classes. One need for this program was given as, "Many experienced cleaners need certification but don't have the language skills to pass an IICRC course/test."

There were some good ideas though, and many firms with experienced techs that were irritated that IICRC wouldn't allow "testing in" to get a certificate. I see their point.

Maybe in the larger view it was a good thing for the IICRC, and since they got paid to go away, it worked for the owner as well.

Numero Uno

Name
Caesar
No Problem nailing that test...Then I would drive them to a Chinese Restaurant caked with grease. An watch there never clean ever asses sweat ...Wait till there done then show them the difference a true Carpet Cleaner with flawless technique mastering it...The only thing good from it is .Those who never attended IICRC at least have overall average info required... As for id the 8 types -great idea make it a challenge .An a burn test where you get one answer shot ,no comparison cards. An Mike you were flustered typing it .Usually not many mistakes sbout assing for a question lol . But in reality it looks like some thing ,I would type .An Marty rightfully would notice ...On that issue clean it up,too formal too long. But IICRC needs an honest revamp and true push to certify. There main base are restorers who pay gobs for -duh info ...

Numero Uno

Name
Caesar
Hand him some lanital face fibers . See if skippy knows how to test an whats in it ? So make IICRC ( 9) fibers one up the twits -lol...Here is link.I had some beautiful ones stored and maintained back in the day. ICS forum,they were outstanding and truly rare...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IM-hqhABezs

sassyotto

Name
Paul
I think that having organizations like this is great. Still, call 10 carpet cleaning companies and you will get 10 different prices and 10 different results.

Anyway here is the thing that most owners do: they send their techs to the training where they incur a ton of costs. Then the tech moves on and the cycle starts all over again. Been there done that.

After going through this cycle twice, I learned to take the classes myself and then teach the techs over time in monthly training meetings. It does a couple things. The tech gets the same information as they would if they went to the class at no cost to the owner. It also offers a continual updated training. We did that when we ran three trucks. Wonder how many out there do that?

Reactions: Jim Pemberton

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom