Ideas on how to tackle this job...

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
I inspected this job,

12 month old wool carpet with jute backing on cushion.

Log rolled out of the fire and left these burn and scorch marks.

The client tried to CLEAN the area with a wool approved product and left these darker agitated areas around the individual burns.

The client has replacement cover, but has a huge combo lounge/dining room. Because it is so new, they wanted me to tell them if I can get invisible repairs. I got out a section of their offcuts and there has already been some fade.

I told the insurer $300-500 and expect up to 2.5 hours max.

I have a bit of a plan, but thought I'd see what others suggest first.

There are a good mix of small burns affecting up to 10 tufts and then there are slightly larger surface areas with mild surface scorching nearer the hearth.

I took some yarn and have cleaned it ready for use.

IMG_3720.jpg

IMG_3721.jpg

John

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
John that is a tough one to call not seeing it . I mean by being there. Seems like your ready to re Burl . Can you give us a step by step procedure on this.

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
My plan is a bit vague, mainly coz they messed it up bad for me by 'cleaning' the carpet.

I'm hoping to re tuft the outer small burns then I thought I'd attempt a graft for the two larger scorched areas closer in toward the hearth.

The main problem is, they have stated categorically, that the don't want their carpet to look like a jigsaw puzzle. Understandable to say the least knowing the age of it, BUT, they are not even going to grant me a 1 month 'wait and see how it walks in' grace period.

I pretty much have to nail it the first time and only get 1 shot at it :shock:

I thought after I have repaired it, I intend cleaning the area to see if that'll blend their mess in with my repairs.

What do you say to that approach?

John

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
Harry Myers said:
Seems like your ready to re Burl . Can you give us a step by step procedure on this.

Yes. No.

I mean yes I'm ready to re tuft if necessary, but no, re tufting is one area that I guard pretty closely. I had to travel to Aussie and pay a trainer 1on1 for a full day to learn that stuff and there's no one close to me doing that work so i prefer to keep it close. I hope you understand.

I'll put up some before and after photos but not progress for that, sorry.

John

Chads

Supportive Member
just a newbie at repair but would if you took and did a second cut on a area in the room that has seen some fading and do two patches and put one in a more inconspicuous place or just a ton of cookie cutter cuts.

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
Re- BURLING
A hand-tailoring operation to remove any knots and loose ends, insert missing tufts or surface yarns. A repair operation on worn or damaged carpet is called reburling.

John Watson

Your a better man than me my friend,

I never say that it will be invisible, I let them know this a repair on a piece of textile, till the repair is made I do not know exactly how it will look. If they want, for a charge, I will try to do a similar repair to what you call offcuts and have a better idea how it will look on this type of goods so them they can make the decision on paying for my attempt to repair or the whole replacement.

They usually pay to see what my repair will look like before replacement.

I am also from the old school where just a few of us were awake the day this was taught in class. Not many can do this and they pay for my talents. I would have charged a bit more with his stipulations.

I agree about the re burling and grafting. But, would point out even though he use an approved cleaner on it it appears he used abit much on the agitation which is compounding your repair.

Just my approach on it

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
What it boils down to is the log ruined the carpet in areas. They ruined it by aggressive agitation. So it is up to John to make it 100 %. It all depends on what he has to work with. (Material) This reminds me of a sisal cleaning I went to look at 2 days ago. Filled with urine for years . She wanted me to guarantee her I will get out those stains. In this case I could have done good . But why should I guarantee. :D

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
Harry Myers said:
Re- BURLING
A hand-tailoring operation to remove any knots and loose ends, insert missing tufts or surface yarns. A repair operation on worn or damaged carpet is called reburling.

HumoUr me Harry :lol:

I'm already trying hard to call underlay cushion or pad, smooth edge tackless or gripper, convert metric to imperial etc :?

A lot of this terminology is country specific and I do tend to use my terms in my thoughts and then try and write the US terms.

You guys are also lazy and keep dropping letter from your words :roll:

John :wink:

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
You are right mate. We did ruin the language. john there are so many people that I meet they say where are you from England, Australia, Ireland. Than I say Do I sound like I come from Australia Mate. In this Steve Irwin type of voice. Than I say I came from Long Island .NY :D

John Watson

John, if your anything like my mate the Short One, I can understand your problems, With the blood pressure in your head all the time from being upside down and using twice to 4 times as much juice to run all your power tools and accessories no wonder you guys are frazzled and talk funny!!

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
ok, just in from completing this job. 95% job and 100% happy clients.

Notice that the agitated areas have settled down a bit since the opriginal photo a couple of weeks ago.
IMG_3755.jpg

Work in progress :shock:
IMG_3756.jpg

Finished but the agitated areas are still highlighting the repairs.
IMG_3757.jpg

I cleaned the area and gave it a fairly aggressive rubbing with my finger tips to simulate the previous cleaning and then rinsed the entire area and lightly groomed it. I also lightly 'coloured' the darker areas to tone it down slightly.
IMG_3758.jpg

Other side angle, notice the slightly darker area that is still damp.
IMG_3763.jpg

I've asked them if I can re visit in 2 weeks time. There is one small area that I have a bit of concern about but I was out of time for both the client and me.

John

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom