If money was not a factor...

Name
Torrey Whitaker
In the future, with certain commercial accounts and having more time and cash flow I could see its benefit.

But as for a single wand residential machine, I've watched it be a bit of a headache and money pit for a single o/o.

Butler is probably my machine of choice even though I have a CleanCo.

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
I still say if money is not a factor then sell out and become a thousandaire...

They say we should follow our passions...

Name
I'm Rick James
I wouldn't be interested in owning one.

I say if you are running 2 man crews, you would be just as efficient without dual wanding vs dual wanding with furniture moving, setting up air movers, pull hose and so on.

99% of my jobs are 200 feet and under.. the ones I can't reach are apartments that I really don't want to rig out anyways. If its a commercial job that is a long rig out I just cimex it and call it a day.

I also think that some buy the big box trucks like Vortex/AT for status and attention it can bring. Isn't the tag line for Vortex "the walk up's alone will pay for the payments alone." I can clean carpet really well with any equipment I use, so its seems like overkill in all aspects to just clean carpets. It may work for some, but not my cup of tea and not to mention all the side mirrors I would take off when I took that thing to the urban jungle. Gas and repairs must also be a joy too.

hogjowl

Idiot™
I wouldn't be interested in owning one.

I say if you are running 2 man crews, you would be just as efficient without dual wanding vs dual wanding with furniture moving, setting up air movers, pull hose and so on.

99% of my jobs are 200 feet and under.. the ones I can't reach are apartments that I really don't want to rig out anyways. If its a commercial job that is a long rig out I just cimex it and call it a day.

I also think that some buy the big box trucks like Vortex/AT for status and attention it can bring. Isn't the tag line for Vortex "the walk up's alone will pay for the payments alone." I can clean carpet really well with any equipment I use, so its seems like overkill in all aspects to just clean carpets. It may work for some, but not my cup of tea and not to mention all the side mirrors I would take off when I took that thing to the urban jungle. Gas and repairs must also be a joy too.

You are correct. 90 % of the time, in residential jobs, you are on the money. Most two man crews will be more efficient if one man is vacuuming and helping move hoses and furniture and prespraying while one man cleans. However, when I had my Vortex, I had two vacs on my rig and found it faster on large empty houses to have one man take upstairs and one man downstairs, or one go to one end of the house and the other to the other side and have both guys prevacuum and clean their allotted area. It was faster that way. If you single wanded it, one man always stood around watching for a while after he got through vacuuming, because their was no furniture moving.

You are also off the mark in commercial settings. Two men dual wanding is faster than single wanding with one vacuuming and one wanding, because again, there is hardly ever any furniture to be moved in commercial. So one guy ends up pulling hoses and watching a good bit.

If it were not for the fact that an Aerotec is so big that it makes it inconvenient to drive around all day, and the fact that diesel is so much more expensive that gas, I wouldn't consider anything else.

Name
I'm Rick James
You are correct. 90 % of the time, in residential jobs, you are on the money. Most two man crews will be more efficient if one man is vacuuming and helping move hoses and furniture and prespraying while one man cleans. However, when I had my Vortex, I had two vacs on my rig and found it faster on large empty houses to have one man take upstairs and one man downstairs, or one go to one end of the house and the other to the other side and have both guys prevacuum and clean their allotted area. It was faster that way. If you single wanded it, one man always stood around watching for a while after he got through vacuuming, because their was no furniture moving.

You are also off the mark in commercial settings. Two men dual wanding is faster than single wanding with one vacuuming and one wanding, because again, there is hardly ever any furniture to be moved in commercial. So one guy ends up pulling hoses and watching a good bit.

If it were not for the fact that an Aerotec is so big that it makes it inconvenient to drive around all day, and the fact that diesel is so much more expensive that gas, I wouldn't consider anything else.

You are correct that the big trucks do well on empty houses and large commercial that you are HWE.. it seems kinda silly to buy a $70,000+ set up that would be fully utilized only 10% of the time.

TConway

Supportive Member
Name
Thomas Conway
If money was not a object maybe, I don't know how I would like driving the big truck and trying to park it. A lot of jobs I have it would be hard, and take more time trying to find a spot to park, having to pull more hose off the truck because you can't get as close sounds to me like more time. I would love to try one to see what the power is like though. The funny thing is to this day there is a boat load of guys cleaning carpet with a 3 vac portable and doing a decent job at that. I'm not a porty guy but it is only a 1/2" fiber we are cleaning.
Also once you have a machine that pulls 95-98 % of the water back out you still get back to the fact that you need air movers to get the final quick dry service, Even with my little Legend we get very good dry times,I have done a few mods to improve its performance, and in winter months my customers have been very happy with dry times but the house is still nice and warm with there heater going, empties I'm sure take a bit longer but that really doesn't matter.
I am going to start working on my TM build again been sitting for a while just haven't had the time and I think I'm going back to my first plan twin # 4 blowers just for the fun of it.

FredC

Village Idiot
"Big Trucks" are ridiculously easy to drive and park....in many ways easier....unless you have a steep drive and low bumper/lift...ooops

and of course no drive thru Mickey D's...or banks

I can honestly say I prefer a cab over (14'-26') over a van or cutaway box

I have a harder time backing up an E150 :redface:

Last edited:

Mikey P

Administrator
Fred is correct. You'd think you would lose jobs due to parking when in fact it's just the opposite.

Once got hung up on the rear step and my rear wheels were spinning. .lol

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Mikey;

We think you can dual wand with a #4 blower . . .

IF you use an 40# electric booster on the long vac runs.

We have tested it with a few customers with our 34 HP TM's.

Of course, a #56 blower TM will do it also.

Larry

Last edited:

SamIam

Name
sam miller
"Big Trucks" are ridiculously easy to drive and park....in many ways easier....unless you have a steep drive and low bumper/lift...ooops

and of course no drive thru Mickey D's...or banks

I can honestly say I prefer a cab over (14'-26') over a van or cutaway box

I have a harder time backing up an E150 :redface:

Your that guy at Costco gas parked crooked DOAH

Name
I'm Rick James
Brent must not have a helper..
10% of the time?

We dual wand more like 75%, or anything over 300 sf

I have a helper 100% of the time. I worked at SS for a couple of years and even with the dual wand ability it didn't save that much more time in my opinion with all the furniture moving, blocking, moving air movers, pulling hose, grooming, and so on. I do see a benefit of dual wand but its kinda silly to spend $70K plus on something a $20K machine can do. I bet that new self contained rotary that SS just introduced has about the same amount of lift that your vortex gets.

Mikey P

Administrator
really?

I guess that personality of your's is the reason normal people don't want you in their homes.

You were born to be a night shift janitor.

Reactions: FB7777

Mikey P

Administrator
Mikey;

We think you can dual wand with a #4 blower . . .

IF you use an 40# electric booster on the long vac runs.

We have tested it with a few customers with our 34 HP TM's.

Of course, a #56 blower TM will do it also.

Larry

Please have a #4 unit and a #5 unit there this coming Thursday and plenty of hose to run some tests.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom