If our personal house flooded?

davegillfishing

Supportive Member
Name
dave gill
Like a huge flood..would,you do the restoration yourself and bill the ins company? My neighbors house just flooded big time..like all weekend

I was just wondering

Seems like a conflict of interest but hell I would wan to do it myself instead of some other company coming in

Last edited:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I've had numerous water losses in all the homes I've lived in. Ice maker failed, sump pump burned up, washer hose blew, water spigot froze and leaked when thawed. I dried them all and never turned in any of them. Even replaced ceiling and laminate on my dime. But if it were a huge loss I'd have our company do it and turn it in.

Jeremy N

Supportive Member
I had decent sized one in my house (22k) and billed everything to my company. That is one advantage of a corporation. You are a separate entity of the corp.

Reactions: J Scott W

steve_64

the house i grew up in use to flood whenever we had a storm and lost power, the sump wouldnt run. several inches of water in the finished basement.

we would shop vac it up when the power came back on and let it dry out.

dad was a bit of a hillbilly. :very_drunk:

steve g

Name
steve garrett
my son when he was little had one of those clip on lamps with a standard light bulb in it. the bed had a pipe frame and the lamp went face down into the bedding. my father in law who was in his 70's was watching the kids that evening. he smelled smoke, couldn't find anything and just took the kids and left. we came home to a smoke filled house and no one home. pretty scary actually. anyways I called my insurance, of course I didn't tell them who I was. I even requested the adjuster I wanted. I wrote my own estimate turned it in and got paid. They assigned the adjuster I wanted. couldn't have went any better.

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
I've had numerous water losses in all the homes I've lived in. Ice maker failed, sump pump burned up, washer hose blew, water spigot froze and leaked when thawed...
What is it about Topeka?

Steve

PS I've seen more toilets with crap spilling out of them thanks to Richard than everyone else on this board combined.

Last edited:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
What is it about Topka?
I don't know but I love it! :biggrin:

We had 13-losses last week, 3-floors at a Frat house, 8-inch main broke at a grocery store, a large commons area at a nursing home, 3-floors at a career college, the rest were residential. Monday had 2-wet basements from a storm power outage and a hot water heater pop.

It gets crazy here sometimes! :winky:

Last edited by a moderator:

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
A funny (and telling) story:

A restorer I know had a minor fire in his own house. Mostly cleaning and painting, just a little reconstruction. The insurance company would not pay him his normal rates to do his own work, so he had a simple solution:

"OK, hire whoever you want, but every step of the way, you will deal with Denise (his wife)"

Background: Denise (not her real name) is a very tough character and the adjusters are terrified of her. He told them that he would take a vacation and no matter what, she would be the one that they would have to deal with.

By the end of the day his company was authorized to do the work!

Reactions: Desk Jockey

John Olson

Name
John Olson
We had two losses in our condo and I had one of our customers take care of it. I could have easily done it no question, even got paid but I didn't want to put any question into the minds of USAA. Besides I gave the work to one of my good friends and great customers. He went above and beyond we got a great remodel and he got paid and bought more equipment. Worked out for everyone all around

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Awesome! :biggrin:

Actually that was pretty smart of them to remove it, if they don't have the ability to dry it installed. Hopefully they used a dehumidifier and some fans to dry the structure down. Get some new pad and reinstall and they should be good. Much better than those that let it dry natually and then wonder why it smells later.

steve_64

Awesome! :biggrin:

Actually that was pretty smart of them to remove it, if they don't have the ability to dry it installed. Hopefully they used a dehumidifier and some fans to dry the structure down. Get some new pad and reinstall and they should be good. Much better than those that let it dry natually and then wonder why it smells later.

the smell goes away after a few good dry days lol a minor inconvenience.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
Jeremy made a good point above. Most insurance companies do not allow the owner of a property to profit from any loss that occurs. (It could be incentive to flood your home or even burn it.) They may allow you to do the work but without your normal profit margin. They may even choose to over-look that rule if they are sure the loss is legitimate. But if you are a corporation, there are fewer issues to deal with than as a sole proprietor.

Reactions: John Olson

steve g

Name
steve garrett
Jeremy made a good point above. Most insurance companies do not allow the owner of a property to profit from any loss that occurs. (It could be incentive to flood your home or even burn it.) They may allow you to do the work but without your normal profit margin. They may even choose to over-look that rule if they are sure the loss is legitimate. But if you are a corporation, there are fewer issues to deal with than as a sole proprietor.

my advice on that whole issue. have your place insured with a small company. We have a small local company that is great to deal with. the big companies like farmers, umm ok lets just make it simple if there is farm or state anywhere in your insurance companies name, that involves several companies not just one, get different insurance. one exception farm bureau is generally pretty good.

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
I had a house flood before I got into carpet cleaning. I got the check and did all if the reconstruction myself. I made a chunk of change.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom