If you commit to an in-plant rug division, then do it wholly.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
It's a totally separate business model. If you disagree with that statement, then you'll be just like Damon working every weekend trying to combine it with your normal cc business.

Mikey P

Administrator
It's a totally separate business model. If you disagree with that statement, then you'll be just like Damon working every weekend trying to combine it with your normal cc business.
a one man band needs to stick to one instrument?

I'm good friends with a wtw cleaner in the CA bay area who also washes rugs. He works 18 to 20 hours a day 4 days a week, comes to Nevada on the weekends to unwind.

No different than restoration Matt...

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
a one man band needs to stick to one instrument?

I'm good friends with a wtw cleaner in the CA bay area who also washes rugs. He works 18 to 20 hours a day 4 days a week, comes to Nevada on the weekends to unwind.

No different than restoration Matt...
I can sub out the demolition and rebuild on restoration. The water mitigation is no different than a normal day cleaning carpet. As for taking after hour jobs... Eh, maybe. The good thing is I don't have to if I don't want to.

As for rug cleaning: The pickup and delivery is the most time wasted, because most of the customers want you to unwrap and unroll the rug on their floor, which can be a waste of time if you're delivering 7-10 rugs back to them.

My average $240 carpet cleaning invoice needs to grow, and water mitigation is the ticket. I've been doing it for several years and it hasn't burdened my business any

Reactions: KevinL and Giorgio

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
It's great fill-in work. My rug plant is like my man cave. It's a good workout, great pay and I find it relaxing and meditative.

I'm good friends with a wtw cleaner in the CA bay area who also washes rugs. He works 18 to 20 hours a day 4 days a week, comes to Nevada on the weekends to unwind
I am really impressed with that Guy. He has done well and made some wise decisions with his rug operations. He took some big risks as well. But It's all paid off and he seems to be living the dream.
He is blessed to have a wife well suited to help him with his operations as well.
He probably doesn't know I hold him in such high esteem.

how long has he been doing that?
and how long does he plan to continue?

..L.T.A.
See above. Why would he want to stop a good thing?
I guestimate the Rug biz about 20 years with CC only being much longer.
4 day work week and living the dream? not sure how long - but That's Success, my friend.

Mikey P

Administrator
not even for Rug repairs? maybe she does them in Nevada.
Correct, forgot about that.

Can you spot him in this pic? PXL_20220619_170313977.jpg

T Monahan

Supportive Member
Name
Tom Monahan
  1. A market share with plenty o' fancybrugs
  2. A place to do business
  3. Advertising
  4. Equipment
  5. Knowledge
  6. Savings
  7. A wife with a real job
Regarding #2, there are elements to consider just in square footage allocation to be wholly committed to best practices that include space to take in multiple rugs to check-in, evaluate, measure and cost. Space to provide dry soil removal, space to wash & rinse, space to dry, space to finish and groom, space to store cleaned processed rugs until delivery.

All these become unnecessary if you have a strategic relationship with a real legitimate rug plant that will do work for you at a wholesale cost that will allow you cost margins for you to just become the seller of the product for a profit. Possibly, the pickup and delivery only strategic partner in the process experience.

Papa John

Name
John Stewart
All these become unnecessary if you have a strategic relationship with a real legitimate rug plant that will do work for you at a wholesale cost that will allow you cost margins for you to just become the seller of the product for a profit. Possibly, the pickup and delivery only strategic partner in the process experience.

I tried this twice with two different highly recommended rug plants.
IMO they failed to deliver on quality; So I learned to do it myself.

Everyone is one decision from changing their entire future life. Call this "The fork in the road of life"
Mikey's Rug friend, let's call him Cole, and I lived and did business in the same area. Our businesses where once simular in size and success. I would say we both hit a Fork in the road" at about the same time. He chose to invest in his rug cleaning operation. Bought a warehouse in the eastbay when it was affordable. bought an existing rug cleaning company. And invested in Rug plant equipment. I on the other hand, chose to "Party" and enjoy life and travel. 😆😠🤣
When I think of Cole's operation I sometimes think, wow that could have been me if I had only took more risks and invested more in my Rug Cleaning operations. 🤷‍♂️

Mikey P

Administrator

Everyone is one decision from changing their entire future life. Call this "The fork in the road of life"
Mikey's Rug friend, let's call him Cole, and I lived and did business in the same area. Our businesses where once simular in size and success. I would say we both hit a Fork in the road" at about the same time. He chose to invest in his rug cleaning operation. Bought a warehouse in the eastbay when it was affordable. bought an existing rug cleaning company. And invested in Rug plant equipment. I on the other hand, chose to "Party" and enjoy life and travel. 😆😠🤣
When I think of Cole's operation I sometimes think, wow that could have been me if I had only took more risks and invested more in my Rug Cleaning operations. 🤷‍♂️
Yeah, and you'd be riding with me every other weekend in the beautiful Eastern Sierra

Reactions: Papa John

Papa John

Name
John Stewart
Yeah, and you'd be riding with me every other weekend in the beautiful Eastern Sierra
I admire the way you make living in Nevada look attractive and fun, given this is where a town has proclaimed itself- "The arm pit of America".
This is another one of my- 'Shoulda, coulda, woulda moments. 🤷‍♂️
And I discovered there are towns in Northern California that are more affordable than Thailand when it comes to retirement. 😱
well, except for affordable Health care. :errf:

T Monahan

Supportive Member
Name
Tom Monahan

Sometimes these described circumstances give pause to review your service area demographics, your own intestinal fortitude and your current business savvy. For some it may give them the momentum to be wholly committed to set up a real inplant operation.

Mr. Cole has drive and stamina. There are few like him.

Reactions: Papa John

KevinL

Supportive Member
Name
Kevin Leach
I do all that with only 2 spaces.
Regarding #2, there are elements to consider just in square footage allocation to be wholly committed to best practices that include space to take in multiple rugs to check-in, evaluate, measure and cost. Space to provide dry soil removal, space to wash & rinse, space to dry, space to finish and groom, space to store cleaned processed rugs until delivery.

KevinL

Supportive Member
Name
Kevin Leach
I admire the way you make living in Nevada look attractive and fun, given this is where a town has proclaimed itself- "The arm pit of America".
This is another one of my- 'Shoulda, coulda, woulda moments. 🤷‍♂️
And I discovered there are towns in Northern California that are more affordable than Thailand when it comes to retirement. 😱
well, except for affordable Health care. :errf:
WE own that name, The armpit of America, in Peoria IL.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom