If you had 100-200k what would you invest in?

Jeremy N

Supportive Member
We are a small WD biz that does a little carpet cleaning here and there.

If you had some cash what would you do to take a big step towards world domination?

I live in a community of 50k with 3 communities the same nearby. I am within 20-25 minutes of a bigger city (1.2 million) and within 30-40 minutes of another metro area.

If you were in my shoes what would you do with some cash?

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
Open a location in the 1.2 mill city and do it right. U could take over the whole city
Sent from my Comet using Tapatalk

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
joeynbgky said:
Open a location in the 1.2 mill city and do it right. U could take over the whole city

Can you be more specifiic.

Like, what was does. "Do it right" mean?

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
U know what mistakes not to make when opening up, because u have already been there done that

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
Someone suggested I invest it with a guy called ken harris.

I never see him here, so I don't know.

Jeremy N

Supportive Member
The question is related to the business that we are in. Nobody ever think of what they would do if they had the money to play with?

Bob Foster

Jeremy N said:

If you had some cash what would you do to take a big step towards world domination?

I live in a community of 50k with 3 communities the same nearby. I am within 20-25 minutes of a bigger city (1.2 million) and within 30-40 minutes of another metro area.

A nice piece of commercial land and put up a mini-storage complex on it. Inexpensive $/sq ft development with a good $/sq return. Cash flow from multiple tenants and not dependent on a large tenant. Its also easy to tear down later for a better use or simply flip the development when the units are fully rented for a profit based on return and cash flow.

Fast easy projects. http://www.olympia-steel-buildings.eu/r ... buildings/

mstorage.jpg

Mike Draper

SILVER!!!! I bet John Olson a dinner at Ruth's Chris Steak House that silver will be at $100 an oz by oct, nov 2012. :oops: John's gonna pay up big time!!!!! shiteatinggrin

Name
Jesse
I don't do restoration and am not familiar with it. I would take maybe 40% and buy lots of good condition, high production, used equipment. I would pay no more than 15% of retail for 90% of it. 20% would go into getting work with proven methods, mostly internet since I'd have the goal of serving 4 areas within 1 year. I'd start with the larger 2.

All of this is assuming that I have control of my current operation and it's operating in a fashion that consumes little of my time. If I didn't then that would be my primary goal and how I would spend my money.

mirf

Supportive Member
Name
David Mirfin
Finding a great employee, or making a good one great. then have the time to develop and grow one at a time other areas of the business.
One at a time would be best I think or you might get sucked back into being that great employee

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
I will PM you later today. I don't want to post it because I have competition in the area watching and wondering how I am making so much. Small little thing that will add thousands a year to the bottom line while expanding your business

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
Bob Foster a guy in my area opened up a gold mine if you are anywhere near boats, fishing or recreational areas you can do this http://www.icehouseamerica.com/

here is the link the guy has a stand alone facility couple that with the purified water one and just pick up the money

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
First make sure your equipment is "ready". Depending on where you are now will dictate what you spend.

I would of course have the coolioest website built and optimized to show first everywhere I worked it.

I would have a cool mobile version. maybe even a flood APP made because what would you find a flood guy on if your house was under water?....Your computer? Probably not.

Get some inexpensive TV ads going...maybe some radio ads just to get your name out there.

I would spend a good amount of money marketing to customers for carpet and tile cleaning.....Those can be your biggest flood customers when it happens.

By letting them know on a consistent basis that you take care of flooding, when it hits...They know who to call.

Take your local adjuster to dinner

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I'd move operations to the bigger market, sell or lease the current operation to one of your management staff.

Spend some time and money marketing in the big city. Bank a good share of that money so you'll have something to carry you through the lean times as your business grows.

Don't blow a bunch of your money on equipment you don't have work for, but instead reinvest as you grow.

OR you could pay me $100,000.00 as a consultant and I'll tell you the same thing BUT I'd print it out on really nice paper. !gotcha!

Name
steve snail
Invest in your body if you aren't already. Your health and free time are your most important assets. My grocery tab is probably three times the normal person, lots and lots of fresh veggies, fruits, and lean meats and fish, (paleo diet). Your time off, take lots of it and enjoy. Oh yeah, for me..yoga in the hot room is huge. With good health you are a "master of the universe".

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
And yet you're still ugly Steve. :p J/k

I agree to bank a good chunk of that money like Rich said. But it all depends on how risky you want to be.

I understand the WD is big money but you should really have a crew or two cleaning etc.
Again, it's a great marketing avenue.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I wouldn't spend it on TV and Radio, well not just yet, maybe once established and before the rainy season or hurricane season.

I really wouldn't target the general public. Your message is just not releveant to them unless they currently have a wet basement or damage from a broken water line.

I'd spend most of my efforts working refferal sources, someone who regularly comes in contact with those that have water problems. Roofers, property managers, water softener sales, appliance sales, sewer and drain cleaners, city water department, school districts, facilities managers, the list could go on and on.

Spend your money on a good marketer if not yourself and professionally designed materials, then build your routes keeping in consistant contact. It will take some time and commitment but it should pay off for you.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Networking is huge.....and not very expensive.

Marketing materials is a good one too. Handing a plumber just your card isn't enough.

Oh, and I would pay Rich to put it all on pretty paper. !gotcha!

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I was just kidding......................................................it would be $150,000.00, but the paper.....oh the paper would would be sooooo nice. :roll:

joe harper

Name
joe harper
FIRST...."Get some TheaRopY"... :idea:

Asking BD carpet cleaners...that have NEVER seen 200K ..Even in a CheCk... :shock:

Aren't going to have very good AdvIcE... !gotcha!

PERSONALLY...."I would break-it down ito singles."

And hire someone to SHOVE one-a-day up yOKuM's ass....................
Until he unDerStaNd'S...the VALUE of his FREE advertizing ConCePt..... :idea:

"Now ....I would be willing to pay $5.00 a month for THAT"..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

DO THE MATH...!!!!!!! YOU WOULD BE A RICH MAN IN 6 MONTHS... :mrgreen:

Bob Foster

HARPER said:
FIRST...."Get some TheaRopY"... :idea:

Asking BD carpet cleaners...that have NEVER seen 200K ..Even in a CheCk... :shock:

Aren't going to have very good AdvIcE... !gotcha!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jeremy N

Supportive Member
dmirf1@msn.com said:
Finding a great employee, or making a good one great. then have the time to develop and grow one at a time other areas of the business.
One at a time would be best I think or you might get sucked back into being that great employee

Please do. I appreciate that.

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Jeremy N said:

My question would be?

Have you tapped out your current market yet, have you taken your current assets as far as you can take them. Meaning do you have dead time you can fill with the trucks/employees you currently have.

I would try and fill the trucks up with commercial work 7 days week 2nd shift/ weekends and then residential during the day before moving to a brand new market.

Then after you have nowhere left to grow, start in a new market.

John Olson

Name
John Olson
100 or even 200k isn't alot of money. It might sound like it but it really isn't. If you don't already own your commercial property then thats where I would put it. The old saying still holds true. God isn't making any more dirt. :)

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Yep, there are some great deals on property right now,
it's a buyers market.

In fact I've got a couple pieces I'd sell love to sell, but I'd lose too much trying to sell either in this market.

Name
steve snail
Doc Holliday said:
Yep, there are some great deals on property right now,
it's a buyers market.

In fact I've got a couple pieces I'd sell love to sell, but I'd lose too much trying to sell either in this market.

Doc's correct. Have read that as much as 50% of commercial property loans are under water, and many are coming due to be refinanced in the next couple of years. The "great deals" are just starting and are only going to get better as people walk away from these properties and leave them to the banks. There are "for rent" signs everywhere here, and we are in a relative stable market...Cash is King!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom