If You Had A Blower Choice....

R

R W

Would you go with the tried and true "greased bearings" blower, or the "dual splash" blowers that are showing up on new TM's? I might do some rebuilding of the Genesis 59 over Christymas, and have a spare 59 dual splash at the shop. The Genny will be out of the truck, so a blower change would be easier, but none the less, a PITA. I also might replace the heat exchange/coolant exchangers with a PC heli-coil HE that I have at the shop.

Any "proffesional advice" ?

-JB-

Name
JB
blower.jpg

Farenheit251

I wouldn't go to the trouble. I know the dual splash is supposed to be good,but in 17 years cleaning I have yet to have a blower go bad. It is not like you are going to get an increase in performance. Gene metioned his blower going bad at 7000 hrs on his Blueline-that sounds about right.

Name
Lee Stockwell
They are both "tried and true" in industrial applications, often going 30,000 hours with meticulous maintenance.

Carpet cleaning is a very small part of the market for PD blowers.

Thanks,
Lee

Scott S.

Supportive Member
Name
Scott
5'8'' blonde, slightly tan skin, thin but not skinny.. evenly proportioned..

Name
Shawn Forsythe
Having just finished replacing the shaft seal on a customer's dual splash blower, I can confidently say the cost of ownership of a dual splash blower is statistically much higher in our application.

The dual splash blower's popularity coincided with the rise in popularity of heat exchange type machines that depended on excess blower heat. Since heat itself is something a piece of equipment designer normally tries to minimize in order for blower longevity, and here we are trying to create more, then it stands to reason that some might choose oil lubrication with that in mind.

However, in applications where the blower is not subjected to excess heat for this reason, then an oil lubricated shaft end is a solution in search of a problem.

R

R W

Shawn Forsythe said:
Having just finished replacing the shaft seal on a customer's dual splash blower, I can confidently say the cost of ownership of a dual splash blower is statistically much higher in our application.

The dual splash blower's popularity coincided with the rise in popularity of heat exchange type machines that depended on excess blower heat. Since heat itself is something a piece of equipment designer normally tries to minimize in order for blower longevity, and here we are trying to create more, then it stands to reason that some might choose oil lubrication with that in mind.

However, in applications where the blower is not subjected to excess heat for this reason, then an oil lubricated shaft end is a solution in search of a problem.

Hence lies the problem, Shawn. I'm sure you've checked out the genesis setup. The blower gets direct air heat flow because the engine fan blows the radiator heat directly rearward, picking up heat from the exhaust heat exchanger box, and blows it across the drive belts right into the blower frame. So I'm sure that the blower picks up extra heat from the "cooling" radiator fan, and the bearings are directly in line with that flow.

Thanks for explaining your reasoning. I'll only replace it if I have to.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
if i had a choice..I'd choose the one that was a direct fit.
if both were, then I'd opt for the le$$ expensive one.
greasing the blower isn't a big deal if the fittings are on the front panel

RW, if you don't have a hoist, you're welcome to borrow my cherry picker.
a 59 blower isn't something us old guys can man handle.....

..L.T.A.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
meAt said:

..L.T.A.
BUT...it'll prolly BREAK on ya...
the FIRST pump!

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
bob vawter said:
the FIRST pump!

you just have to be smarter than the tool, Bob

OpUrater air'er! OpUrater air'er!

20,000 nails I put thru that nailer without a hic-up ......TWENTY THOUSAND!
you bust it all to sheet in 30 seconds....

..L.T.A.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
meAt said:
bob vawter said:
the FIRST pump!

you just have to be smarter than the tool, Bob

20,000 nails I put thru that nailer without a hic-up ......TWENTY THOUSAND!
you bust it all to sheet in 30 seconds....

..L.T.A.

Doh! Don't ya just hate that? You baby something along for years and someone uses it and breaks it in an instant.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Art Kelley said:
Doh! Don't ya just hate that? You baby something along for years and someone uses it and breaks it in an instant.

hell, I didn't "baby it", Art
truth be told, I'm pretty abusive with nearly all my tools

I figure Bob loaded the nails wrong and after the first jam, kept on pounding more and more one on top another til it went "kaput"

he probably broke the tupperware tub I shipped it in too .. :roll: (shipped on MY dime BTW)....

do sump'um nice for someone and this is what happens.....

..L.T.A.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
"tupperware tub I shipped it in too"

He had it all DUCT TAPED together.....OK..i'll bring THAT to Nashville so's you can carry it ALL back home...that includes the FIVE HUNDRED pieces of carpet pad he PAID to ship it in......
i'm dealin' wit idiots here!

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
bob vawter said:
"tupperware tub I shipped it in too"

He had it all DUCT TAPED together.....OK..i'll bring THAT to Nashville so's you can carry it ALL back home...that includes the FIVE HUNDRED pieces of carpet pad he PAID to ship it in......
i'm dealin' wit idiots here!

the pad happened to be from a URINE contamination job were fixing the day i boxed up the nailer.
I tried to find the least stinky pieces for you..... :mrgreen:

..L.T.A.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
meAt said:
Art Kelley said:

hell, I didn't "baby it", Art
truth be told, I'm pretty abusive with nearly all my tools

I figure Bob loaded the nails wrong and after the first jam, kept on pounding more and more one on top another til it went "kaput"

he probably broke the tupperware tub I shipped it in too .. :roll: (shipped on MY dime BTW)....

do sump'um nice for someone and this is what happens.....

..L.T.A.

AFTER THE FIRST JAM

so yor admitting that it MAY have jamed....???

it was a CHEAP piece of shit from harbor frieght

Walt

R W said:
[quote="Shawn Forsythe":pt6hkx4s]Having just finished replacing the shaft seal on a customer's dual splash blower, I can confidently say the cost of ownership of a dual splash blower is statistically much higher in our application.

Hence lies the problem, Shawn. I'm sure you've checked out the genesis setup. The blower gets direct air heat flow because the engine fan blows the radiator heat directly rearward, picking up heat from the exhaust heat exchanger box, and blows it across the drive belts right into the blower frame. So I'm sure that the blower picks up extra heat from the "cooling" radiator fan, and the bearings are directly in line with that flow.

Thanks for explaining your reasoning. I'll only replace it if I have to.[/quote:pt6hkx4s]

I've thought for some time that the Genesis would benefit from having the radiator fan exhaust out of the vehicle. It would keep the heat of the belts and blower. The radiator wouldn't clog. And I'd imagine that air filters would last even longer.

I've considered changing mine out but haven't asked PC if they would have a problem with that. I think the part would be less then 100 bucks.

R

R W

Walt said:
R W said:
[quote="Shawn Forsythe":14wtd4qc]Having just finished replacing the shaft seal on a customer's dual splash blower, I can confidently say the cost of ownership of a dual splash blower is statistically much higher in our application.

Thanks for explaining your reasoning. I'll only replace it if I have to.

I've thought for some time that the Genesis would benefit from having the radiator fan exhaust out of the vehicle. It would keep the heat of the belts and blower. The radiator wouldn't clog. And I'd imagine that air filters would last even longer.

I've considered changing mine out but haven't asked PC if they would have a problem with that. I think the part would be less then 100 bucks.[/quote:14wtd4qc]

Same here, Walt. The best cooling option to me would be to have a van with cargo doors on both sides. That option wasn't available when I bought my Chevy 2500 extended back in '03. It would create a nice air flow over the Genny, and out the other side. I do use an exhaust fan to help now.

Meat....I gots a cherry picker. If I did any work on the Genny, I would pull it out of the van.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Walt said:

I've considered changing mine out but haven't asked PC if they would have a problem with that. I think the part would be less then 100 bucks.

I recall someone else mentioned something similar years ago.
Don't recall if it was specific to the Genny though.

I've always though the purpose of the fan was not only to draw air thru the radiator, buy also blow air on the engine to aid in cooling

..L.T.A.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
I wouldn't go to the trouble. I know the dual splash is supposed to be good,but in 17 years cleaning I have yet to have a blower go bad. It is not like you are going to get an increase in performance. Gene metioned his blower going bad at 7000 hrs on his Blueline-that sounds about right.
actually my blower was still good but the bearing seal went out so it would eventually go. i only replaced it now because I have to replace the missing flex. i went with the dual splash. it did create a clearance issue with the belt tensioner. i had to make a few changes that I wasn't expecting. they stick out in the front a little more. they cost a little more but you don't have to deal with the grease squirting out , sometimes it gets on the belts.

Gene

R

R W

meAt said:
Walt said:

I recall someone else mentioned something similar years ago.
Don't recall if it was specific to the Genny though.

I've always though the purpose of the fan was not only to draw air thru the radiator, buy also blow air on the engine to aid in cooling

..L.T.A.

Meat.....the fan does draw air in from outside the van, but as it passes over the engine, diverter box and related exhaust parts, it gets pretty hot by the time it blows over the belts and blower. It is the one design flaw in the Genesis that only gets worse in the summer humidity and heat.

R

R W

meAt said:

..L.T.A.

Hey, Meat.....the dual splash that I have as an extra is already mounted in a Genesis frame, so it would be a bolt-in instalation (other than the PITA to remove it, plus it's weight)

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
R W said:
meAt said:
Meat.....the fan does draw air in from outside the van, but as it passes over the engine, diverter box and related exhaust parts, it gets pretty hot by the time it blows over the belts and blower. It is the one design flaw in the Genesis that only gets worse in the summer humidity and heat.

I can dig it, RW

but it would get even hotter if the fan wasn't blowing on the engine and components
WAY hotter as a matter of fact.

turning the fan around to blow out would create bigger problems if you didn't add another fan (with substantial CFM) to blow across engine and components

.L.T.A.

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
I'm not sure how the Genny is designed but my Victory has much of the same problems. This is what I've done to this point to help cool it.
There is an electric cooling fan on top of the unit which was set up to blow down onto the belts. I reversed the motor direction to take hot air out of the compartment. Then I extended the cowling to get the hot air out of the van. Hot air rises and it seems to me that its better to pull that hot air off rather than blow it back down onto the belts.

DSC00603.jpg

I the bought a small electric fan from Summit Racing and mounted on the side of the unit which blowss directly on the blower belts. I wired it to one of the auxillary switches on the front panel. When I turn it on you can actually feel the air coming out of the cowling get hotter.

TM008.jpg

I previously had this unit in a van with doors on both sides and the extra openning had little is any effect.

R

R W

Shane T said:
I'm not sure how the Genny is designed but my Victory has much of the same problems. This is what I've done to this point to help cool it.
There is an electric cooling fan on top of the unit which was set up to blow down onto the belts. I reversed the motor direction to take hot air out of the compartment. Then I extended the cowling to get the hot air out of the van. Hot air rises and it seems to me that its better to pull that hot air off rather than blow it back down onto the belts.

DSC00603.jpg

I the bought a small electric fan from Summit Racing and mounted on the side of the unit which blowss directly on the blower belts. I wired it to one of the auxillary switches on the front panel. When I turn it on you can actually feel the air coming out of the cowling get hotter.

Shane....I'd be proud to have such a clean machine! You must take some time to wipe down the unit??

I use an electric fan from some car one of my sons was tearing apart. I still would like to intercept some of the hot air before it reaches the belts and blower, and exhaust it out.

TM008.jpg

I previously had this unit in a van with doors on both sides and the extra openning had little is any effect.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom