If You were Designing your New Truckmount...

Which Components would you use?

• 1. 20-24 HP w/ #45 Blower

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2. 25-30 HP w/ #47 Blower

• 3. 30-35 HP w/ #47 Blower

• 4. 35-40 HP w/ #56 Blower

• 5. 40-50 HP w/ #59 Blower

• Total voters

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Now's your chance to tell the designers exactly what you want !!

Well, at least the ones who are paying attention...

Larry Cobb

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Mikey;

Face reality ....

According to my conversations with Roots and Sutorbilt, blowers larger than #59's have less than 1/2% of the truckmount market.

That is less than 1 out of 200 Truckmounts.

They will never be mainstream...

And only two have been SOA tested (ZeroRez w/heater & AT).
Out of 20 Top-of-the-Line truckmounts.
:roll:

Larry

P.S. Vincent's poll shows more % for the larger machines.

Mikey P

Administrator
Well that jibes with the fact that only 2% of this country's cleaners really give a damn.

Come on Larry, mediocrity doesn't become you.

Build a big rig. Your a Texan goddammit!!!!

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Mikey;

We build what our customers want.

Our typical customer has 3-5 truckmounts.

In the history of our company, only two large customers have had TM's with blowers larger than #59.

One of those two has downsized to #56 truckmounts.

The other is performing quite well.

Larry Cobb

Jeremy

Name
Jeremy
If you're building your own, you are probably doing so on a shoe string budget. I went with the 35+ hp 47 blower...

I'd also want electric reels, APO, fresh & waste tanks (both 100 gallons +), Minimum 3" hose fittings & the smallest restriction before the vac hose would be at least equivalent to the blower inlet. It would have 2, 3" hoses connected with a Y running to the 2.5" vac line & filters on both 3" sections. the waste tank would be easy to clean out and be fitted with a kunkle/bayco. Propane or Kerosene heat (preferably propane). Pump would be capable of 4gpm & 800 PSI.

The question is if you're building your own can you afford the above?

I would be more interested in fuel economy, gas is too expensive to waste.

By the way, for you "big rig guys" did you ever think that the message that you are sending to your customer's neighbor is that the customer's carpet is so nasty that they have to have this huge behemoth of a machine clean it.

And anyone ever get accused of cracking a driveway? :oops:

Greenie

You watch...the sweet spot for the guy with a few bucks will settle in on the 56/5M blower set up.
Not everyone turns em Fast nor would you have to, and the 56 is a tank, can hold high lift, deliver more cfm than you would ever use single wand (as most will stick with paltry 2" hose) and in actual cleaning it just has more "grunt" than a 47 for rise time and recovery, and at the wholesale level doesn't cost much more, so why not.

Add to that the powerplant required to run it simply generates more heat potential to capture than a smaller rig, so heat will not be a problem, an important little detail as HX technolgy has advanced.

The challenge is dealing with the 4" plumbing, but most will just downsize to 3" to cram them in small footprints, but true 4" will out perform 3".

Once apon a time the 56 was the standard Vortex blower, the Vebturi 59 was an "upgrade" back them, just not too many ever hit the street with the 68 out there.

If the V were plumbed like BlueLine does today you would be impresed with that 56.

minuteman

I like a 56 Hp engine with a 56 blower and a 120 gal waste tank w/auto pump out, 3000 psi cat pump w/auto clutch a 120 gal fwt.

Opp's I'm bad - I already have one of these, the little bugger pulled 20 hg on a job yesturday at 200' of 2" hose at full power, and that an't bad!

Been thlnking about a "V" or building a chevy stright 6 w/dual 56 blower's, dual mini wast tanks w/auto pump out like a Fox but round, dual 3000 psi cat pumps w/auto clutch and a 120 gal fwt, or should I go with Johns 350 Custom designed to my insane ideas, Ah! heck!, I think I'll just get a "V" and do a bit of custom work on the exhaust system, I should be able to get quit enought to run next to a hospital with no complants.

Greg

G

Gas would be my main concern..before blower thoughts.

One can make big heat number...one can make big suck. But can one make it MIST on the gas numbers?

I know what I spend on gas daily, weekly, job average, etc. I want those numbers to be like my INS. numbers.

Chad

Matt King

For the Money- give me 18hp w/a 36 blower and LP. For the Power- give me a small block Chevy and anything..... 8)

GRHeacock

If I was building my own Truck Mount I would go for a CDS type just like the Ballweber I had for 20 years and my son is still running.

Can't beat it for durability or low maintenance.

Blower is a #4MB Sutorbilt.

For a one man operation I think it is the best.

Forget the heavy slide-ins with big maintenance problems.

Keep it as simple as possible. Not a ton of bells and whistles.

Gary

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
Most that Larry describes I would consider underpowered power-plants for the blower size, a mistake I feel WAY too many TM manufacturers make.

Water or air cooled makes a huge difference in the equation as well not only for power and torque, but for heat producing capabilities.

My ideal slide-in for single wand:

59 turned by a straight or slant six motor in a large box truck with a big footprint to eliminate restrictive bends as much as humanly possible. I'd happily deal with less floor space for more efficient power. I'd just utilize more shelves and overhead racks. BTW my box truck would be tall enough to easily stand in too.

I'd want non-restrictive plumbing, simple wiring, few electronic safeguards, a carbureted motor, direct drive, simple, non-restrictive filtration, 200 gal stainless waste (because i don't filter, I don't like APO's), soft water, dual hx with an optional propane boost. 2 electric vac hose reels - one for 2", one for 2.5".

Oh, and the truck would have a HOOD!

Take care,
Lisa

Fred Homan

I think John Sales from Steamaction has alot of experience....More than most here. Mikey should have him on the HOTSEAT. He has well designed units. Knows his stuff!

roro

Name
Ross Craig
Larry,
the question is not specific enough.

One truck owner operators will generally want bigger gruntier machines that can run multiple wands even if they are a one man band in a town with no high rises.

Do I need a 600 HP Freightliner that looks good when a 350 HP Hino will carry the same amount and earn the same revenue.

roro

Matt King

I second Fred.... John's been doing High Performance since the 70's. I'd love to get his take on things.

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
I have went from a #3 to a #4 and now have a #5. I can't imagine going back to a #4(mass depression if I had to) and wonder about a #6

if you don't have at least a #5 then you are missing out no matter how you have pimped your #3 or #4

The price is really what stops most from buying the AT/V, I would think that most cleaners would buy if not for the price, it doesn't take balls to buy one but a solid business plan

the price of gas is only a small concern if you are charging enough

I will move to a box truck for my Thermal Wave II sooner then later, if you don't get a box then you need at least an extended van, just not enough room in a normal cargo van

Mikey proved to us last weak that really big blowers are not needed. get a small blower with very little to no relief, run it real fast and close the dump valve. sorry Mikey, that post really got me to thinking.

Back
Top Bottom