IICRC Class... to take, or not?

Ross Buettner

Name
Ross Buettner
I'll recap my history not to sound like a broken record.

Spent 5 months rebuilding, wiring, soldering/brazing a Bruin with a friend.
He spent 6 years cleaning mostly commercial work.
I helped him out tons, he's taken the classes.
I have my own rig and 65 hours under my belt, alone. (Before anyone gets smart I have over 90K in commercial janitorial yearly as well)

I've played with chems of all sorts. Some free from here, and some from vendors directly. Overall I know what I am doing. But, I do learn A LOT from here.

The opportunity knocks for an IICRC class and the end of next month. I am on the fence wether to take it or not. I am taking a spotting class. I could get some useful information there, and the kit (Prochem) comes with it all for 100.00.

I've heard a lot of bad vibes about this organization. What would you do?

Jamesh921

Name
James
The reputation of the IICRC has totally TANKED lately, but I believe the info you can get from the class will be very useful. You'll learn a ton, so I say go for it.

Whether you decide to pay for the test to actually get certified is up to you. There are rumors that the leadership could possibly be rebounding, but that's an unknown right now. So, not sure if the certification would be worth getting.

Other benefits of taking the class besides the information you'll get is that you'll meet others in the industry that work in your area. That's good if you ever need help on a big job or need someone to help cover your jobs if your machine goes down.

Good luck.

John Olson

Name
John Olson
Education is priceless. There is a great big world out there away from the boards. I pay to keep my certifications and take 1 or 2 classes at least once a year. I am not an IICRC naysayer I feel they have a lot to offer if your willing to do your part.

LisaWagnerCRS

Name
Lisa Wagner
Ross Buettner said:
I'll recap my history not to sound like a broken record.

Spent 5 months rebuilding, wiring, soldering/brazing a Bruin with a friend.
He spent 6 years cleaning mostly commercial work.
I helped him out tons, he's taken the classes.
I have my own rig and 65 hours under my belt, alone. (Before anyone gets smart I have over 90K in commercial janitorial yearly as well)

I've played with chems of all sorts. Some free from here, and some from vendors directly. Overall I know what I am doing. But, I do learn A LOT from here.

The opportunity knocks for an IICRC class and the end of next month. I am on the fence wether to take it or not. I am taking a spotting class. I could get some useful information there, and the kit (Prochem) comes with it all for 100.00.

I've heard a lot of bad vibes about this organization. What would you do?

Who's the instructor? With an IICRC class much of the time is spent getting you to memorize the answers to the test questions, so the real value comes from what you can learn in between that process in asking questions to the instructor. And if he/she has real world experience, that coupled with the others in the class with you, can be a wealth of knowledge.

But if you are learning from someone who has not been in a real cleaning business for decades... you might be better off taking a supplier's class that's not IICRC certification but is using real products on real problems.

The deciding point is who is teaching it.

Lisa

mirf

Supportive Member
Name
David Mirfin
The class and the kit for $100.00! You should take the class. Training is always helpful. The kit is probaly worth that.

tim

If Craig is teaching, take it!! Lots of great tips and one of the nicest guys in the industry. I think there is a value to getting certifications. I have landed several warranty jobs because of it and I think it helps establish credibility with potential clients. I know there is a lot of political bull crap that goes on as with anything. But it's what we have and if you learn one thing or make one good connection it will pay for itself many times over!

MicahR

Name
Micah Richardson
It really doesn't matter if you ever take an IICRC test and become "certified", but take all the classes that come your way.

You will learn something every time. Even if you happen to run into the most boring instructor alive you will come away with something from him, and from the other attendees.

As John said "Education is Priceless"!

Oh, and read my signature!

gavin

If you want to learn, take the class.

if you just want the cirt, I think it's pointless.

John Watson

You would think as many times as Craig gives a class he would be able to give it in English!!!

Craig is one of the better ones, if you can't understand, he splains it all again and again 2-3 times a week..

handdi

Supportive Member
Name
Randy
go you will have fun
and ya may meet another cleaner or two or 3 great for networking

dan mabes

I'm going way out on a limb, but I've been THERE before, so here goes!!

Take the class. By all means, some Instructors are better than others but all of them have something to offer. And you will always learn from other individuals also taking the class and you will meet others in the business that will probably be able to help you at some point in time .

AND

spend the extra money to get certified. There are many new individuals on the BOD and we are trying very hard to correct the disconnect and distrust that has occured over the years. It will take time but it WILL occur.

Dan M

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Ross, I'm not an IICRC fanboy
(though I like the direction the IICRC has turned and "maybe" ...just maybe my attitude toward it will change)

but now that you have a little time on the boards as well as dancing with the wand, you'll likely find the basic cleaning class of more value than if you went as a complete neophyte .
(cause you'll have better understanding of what's being taught)

spending the extra dough for the test is of little value to "me" ..it may not be to "you" .
but the knowledge gained from the class should help your level of competence as well as confidence

..l.T.A.

Ross Buettner

Name
Ross Buettner
I am hoping to be in the green this month... it's been 5K this year in fixing crap.

If so, I'll take it. Maybe I'll get lucky and win some crap down at Prochem for thier open house too. I blew a solution hose this week, still renting a tile spinner...etc..etc..

randy

Name
Randy
I'm a committed IICRC naysayer and there are a bunch of instructors running around that totally suck but Jasper is not one of them. He does a fantastic job and takes his responsibility to TEACH the material really seriously. I would take the class but skip the worthless certification (that bill comes every year and will do zip for your business).

T

TomKing

Yeah don't bother to take the test. That way people can keep on thinking carpet cleaners are a bunch of low life bums who drive around in old crappy trucks and couldn’t do anything else in life.

Seriously if you want to get the type of work I am sure you are dreaming of training and certification will set you apart. I lost a 10K job 2 years ago because I was not certified. So how many classes could I have paid for?

Don't listen to those who want to debate the value of the IICRC. Your customers are not aware of these industry issues. Electricians and Plumbers get to charge you for just showing up. They tell you they are licensed and trained and you just believe them. If you want to be taken seriously by good referral sources training will help you gain credibility.

Craig taught my first class years ago. I learned a ton. Be ready to learn how dust mites POOOOP over everything.

Doug just taught a class that I sent a new tech to. The tech came back more confident and charged up. He also has shown more ownership of our company goals and vision. He learned some new stuff and we have applied it. It was empowering for him and he has been teaching other techs what he has learned.

I do not care what you do in life continued education is key to being a well rounded person. Those who are most successful in life never stop learning.

Oh to the comments of learning from someone who has not been in a company recently not offering as much when they are teaching. That would be like saying Neil Armstrong hasn't walked on the Moon in over 40 years so he doesn’t know anything about space travel.

We let our techs choose 2 classes every year to take. This is done as a part of their Performance Management session every six months. I just posted the schedule for the next 3 months and guys are excited about going and developing themselves professionally. I can’t wait to see what we learn and to watch them provide the best value to our customers.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
I have been certified for the last 9 years..I have gotten a few jobs from it but not enough to even put a dent in the money I have spent....

mixed feelings on the classes.....they make everything out to be way more complicated then what it is....and its not really a test to see what you have learned...it is more of a class to show you where all the answers are in the book...

I remember the UPH class I took.....spent a day and a half learning how different materials are made and a half day learning how to clean them and where the answers were for the test...it was nothing but a waste of a day and a half...I could care a less how the cocoon was made and what they had to do to make the silk...just tell me how to clean it.....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom