IICRC - is this a game changer?

LisaWagnerCRS

Name
Lisa Wagner
Part of the problem with any type of organization with ethics contamination is trying to "remove the source." When the nominations slate is set by contaminated parts - you get more of the same over and over again.

These past few years there has been some slow, methodical, significant reforms taking root at IICRC.

And today I saw a sign of the real possibility of reform in this organization, in their press release on nominations:

Industry request for Nominations => http://bit.ly/iicrc-reforming

The recent and current reformers on the IICRC Board have not only reduced the size of the Board down to 15 (from up over 30 in my day), but have rewritten the qualifications to sit on the Board.

This is an opportunity to not only add qualified new leadership to the mix, but also with a smaller Board size, they don't get buried by the special interests which has always happened in the past.

I think this is a great sign... and I'm eager to see what the results are. And I really appreciate the work of those making this happen.

Lisa

P.S. My opinionated piece on this topic here. :mrgreen: => http://bit.ly/realdirt

Ron K

Lisa I wonder how many on this board would say the only way they've succeeded in this business is directly related to the IICRC. I think it will never be something that helps us but that's just my opinion unless you like green patches. They've upset so many people that I think the only way to move forward is to 86 it and start again.

Bob Foster

I can think of several people who would do an excellent job. But first many people have to get over their rightful anger and frustration of the way the things used to be and look ahead so new blood not in conflict of interest have a reasonable chance to bring about change.

Change will not be easy however the attitude and consensus they bring with their reputation to the board will make it easier. That consensus is those that speak up to support the good people.

Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Lyman
I do not see any need for them either. It seems to be all about money with them, dues for this and that and every couple years you have renew all your certs. The part that pissed me off the most was a 7.95 a room firm using there logo for years even though I complained, which must be on there special form only.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
Re: Re: IICRC - is this a game changer?

Ron K said:
Lisa I wonder how many on this board would say the only way they've succeeded in this business is directly related to the IICRC. I think it will never be something that helps us but that's just my opinion unless you like green patches. They've upset so many people that I think the only way to move forward is to 86 it and start again.

To say that any one reason or outside influence is THE reason for success would be wrong in my opinion.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

LisaWagnerCRS

Name
Lisa Wagner
Ron K said:

You know Ron, to be honest, at the "in the trenches" level IICRC is irrelevant to cleaners and restorers.

Consumers have no clue they exist. The marketing by IICRC has been agency-make-it-look-pretty focused instead of results focused.

I mean, seriously, there are only 5,600 certified firms - and we've got closer to 55,000 companies just in the carpet cleaning field alone, so you lump in the 6,000+ restoration companies, and don't even mention jan-san, which is HUGE, several times the size of residential carpet cleaning - then you've got a speck of the industry that is actually certified.

So in answer to your question "who has succeeded in this business directly from IICRC" - I would say no one except those who got into the leadership on past committees and consultant roles and created their own "business" tied directly to IICRC program dollars. Cooper and Bishop are two great examples of this. Contracts around 100K. Their careers were built through connections and work they did often on IICRC's dime - Cooper got in to run Connections, then other shows, through his position. Others in the committee chair roles also have opportunities tied to policies and decisions they've help to get funded. It's not huge money... but it's money coming from registrants fees.

Now... no one is a millionaire because of IICRC (honestly... I don't know what kind of assets Tom Hill has... but I don't think he's made millions - or a million from IICRC)... but some have helped to enhance their own business opportunities through their roles at the organization.

It's like any other club that has privileges ... so it's not like IICRC is unique in that way. When you have connections and influence, opportunities come to you.

But... it is a non-profit, meant to be focused on setting the standards for our industry in relation to delivering the best care to consumers. And that goal has been lost by personal interests. The fact that IICRC did not stand up to refute the CRI's faulty cleaning tests... and allowed "regular" cleaners to voice the anger, showed their lack of any concern regarding the true standard of care for cleaning. It would not have taken much to simply put out a press release that stated that the Board was not in agreement with the protocol being used by CRI (which was true... but the Executive Officers were too wishy-washy to take a stand.)

If we get people in these Board positions who already have successful companies, or have had a long career and are ready to give back to their industry, who can have the time and energy resources to truly focus on the right policy decisions based on real feedback from those in the trenches instead of playing politics... then we will see IICRC relevancy boosted, and have it really mean that it is truly a hallmark of excellence.

We've got no other option here... unless something else is started from scratch. And I do think again that this is a sign of better things to come out of this organization with this nominations announcement, and the "lifetime consulting gigs" that have been ended through non-renewals. That is real progress.

I'd like to see them cut the management contract in half, and take those funds and direct them toward providing better training opportunities at a lower price to more cleaners. I'd also like to see them boost the education to consumers and become the voice for carpet care rather than the other irrelevant organization CRI.

But... that's all just my thoughts and opinions. I might be too tainted by my time there to have a fair perspective.

I just wanted to point out something good I saw coming from them... so they don't think all I ever do is bitch about IICRC. =)

Lisa

Burtz

a ton of money to be made not on a non-profit but in it

you know the sweet deal the tom hill retirement fund and all that goes with it
until you cut the head off the snake it still lives and breeds and thrives.

the iicrc kind of operates like a crooked union or mob family

PCCN

Ron K said:

I TOTALLY AGREE! I began the IICRC classes because I was told ONLY certified techs were allowed to do work for manufactureres. BIG LIE! I do regular work for 2 major manufactureres and they have BOTH told me that the certifications doesn';t matter whatsoever to them, it's the quality of work performed for them and their customers. I too feel IICRC is only out for a ton of money from members. Even though I am a one person company, I still cannot be considered a "Certified Firm" unless I give them more money. BIG RIP OFF! Yes, I have gotten bits and pieces of information from some of the classes, but I get even more training from non-IICRC programs.

My customers have no idea what IICRC is or means, nor do they care. Therefore, why is it, or any organization like it, needed?

They won't be getting any more money from me!

harryhides

Name
Tony
I think that what the Board lacks is at least one fashion conscious metro dude with some proven business sense.

The Board needs to earn the respect of the Industry that it serves.
Tell us what it would take ( in your own words ) what would be required in terms of practical and reasonable ideas.
I already have my own opinions about that but would appreciate hearing this from you.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
I for one would like to see them make something out of what already exists. They have the name, they have the courses, and all the certifications.
The ONLY reason I'm looking to pay them money now is to be able to say I am a "certified master cleaner". I paid a lot of money for the courses and that little "status", its like the $400 I pay to the BBB, not because they do anything for me, but "I" can use that in my marketing.
The general public may know nothing about the IICRC, but they can understand the word "Certified". No one hires an electrician because of the certifying organization, but they do want to hire a Certified electrician.

as for cert firm, not really worth the extra to me.

juniorc82

Supportive Member
Name
Jon Coret
I can say that being certified in several areas has had a very positive impact on business. I have learned how to properly remedy situatons that other cleaners couldnt. I dont think certified firm status means a whole lot to the customer,however a couple times on commercial jobs when my bid was close to my competition I was awarded the job because my master textile cleaner status was the tie breaker.
I have noticed that alot of cleaners feel that a nice truckmount makes them a good cleaner. I just dont know why some cleaners feel that they dont need any formal training or dont care to continue their education and really learn about the trade they tell their customers they are an expert at.
I will say especialy when it comes to wdr or disaster rest. in general along with other specialty jobs , if you have not been properly trained you have no business on the jobsite

Ron K

LisaWagnerCRS said:
You know Ron, to be honest, at the "in the trenches" level IICRC is irrelevant to cleaners and restorers.
Consumers have no clue they exist. Lisa

I agree!

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
harryhides said:
I think that what the Board lacks is at least one fashion conscious metro dude with some proven business sense.

The Board needs to earn the respect of the Industry that it serves.
Tell us what it would take ( in your own words ) what would be required in terms of practical and reasonable ideas.
I already have my own opinions about that but would appreciate hearing this from you.

I've posted this on Lisa's blog but here it goes....

When I first came to the industry, I came with a little janitorial experience. I began to take IICRC courses and because I was still very green I absorbed the information like a sponge(I still do today). I had looked for an advanced version of the classes I had taken and much to my surprise there weren’t very many available. The majority of our industry are here because of a few reasons. 1) We can’t work for anyone else, 2) A family biz and following in the footsteps, and 3) We like to work with our hands. Anyone knows most that work with their hands are visual learners; they have to actually go through the process and do it themselves before they catch on. Sadly there is not enough of that in our industry.

The IICRC is finally starting to see that I think, and are beginning changes to start to make hands-on learning the norm. But with so much distaste for the IICRC are they too late in their efforts ? I don’t have anything against the information being taught, because I believe the knowledge needs to be there first. But to be able to take what you’ve learned in a classroom, and test it in a controlled environment with a knowledgeable instructor would do volumes for our industry. The other side of the coin is – as much as we complain about price shoppers. Would there be enough demand and will there be a price-point to where cleaners will actually take these classes ? They are going to be more expensive because of the needed tools and facilities to teach hands-on training properly.

Hopefully we will see this start to happen. Tony Wheelwright is in charge of distant learning as I understand. I’m confident Tony will make things happen in the education aspect of the IICRC that needs to be done. With the internet readily available there is no reason why we couldn’t learn a prerequisite class(internet based) to have a basis for a more hands-on focused class.

randy

Name
Randy
Personally I think the IICRC's time has come and gone for "this generation " of cleaners. What they attempted with SOA under Travis & Bishop was the unpardonable sin, and will never be forgotten by cleaners. I will never rejoin the IICRC or pay for my techs to take their classes. An in house training program is better all the way around anyway.

The IICRC should issue a formal apology to cleaners for betraying them in for promoting the SOA, disavow the whole mess and move on. Their focus should be on new cleaners coming into the business over the next ten years. Rebuilding the image of the IICRC should be viewed as a twenty year project. By then most of the current generation will be retired,dead or semi-retired into other less demanding businesses.

Bjorn

your right the soa thing is unforgivable

everyone is relying on carpet cleaners very short memory

only one thing they can do to restore honor which it never had

Seppuku

0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVE7aqrva0g0]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom