[ IKE ] needs your HELP on this tile !!!!

We attempted to clean 4 bathrooms which had been cleaned several times in the past by the homeowner and she could not get good results. We used the oxygen system, followed by a spinner rinse, then followed up with Zep products that seemed to clean it. The following day the customer called and said there was a film on the tile edges. This can be duplicated by applying acid rust remover to similar tiles, but I cannot duplicate the problem with any Zep products, or any other chemicals in my shop. Only strong acid will etch this tile, and the problem is in the traffic areas, and only on some tiles. I am trying different topical sealers to mask this area. The etched sections are attraction foot traffic soil, while the unaffected tiles are O.K. Any comment and suggestion are appreciated. I do not want to have to replace four bathrooms of tile.

IMG_0810.jpg

IMG_0809.jpg

IMG_0808.jpg

IMG_0807.jpg

IMG_0806.jpg

timnelson

Re: [[ IKE ]] needs your help on this tile

Was there a product used more heavily on the grout? Interesting pattern of damage. I would do pH testing.

TimP

Looks to me like it's more of a problem with the tile. Ceramic isn't supposed to have a problem with acids. The tile is probably a home depot 99 cent a ft special and probably wasn't cured properly. If they have a warranty I'd look to the seller for a solution to the problem.

Also it could possibly be that when it was cleaned the pressure was set too high for the glaze. Although that shouldn't have been the reason...like I said I think it's a problem with the manufacturing.

Scott

The glazing is etched. I've seen it a few times. I had one inspection where the lady spilled lemonade on her ceramic tile and it left a permanent etch in that spot. I tried cleaning/neutralizing with no luck. I recommended a warranty replacement on that one.

I've heard of a product on the market that can put a new glaze on it. I believe Magic Al would know, or the guys at dirtygrout.com

Scott

hogjowl

Idiot™

Don't worry Les. As long as you continue wearing those ugly as#ed shoes, she'll figure you can't afford to replace the tile.

Fon Johnson

It looks like she spilled acid bowl cleaner some time ago. Notice in the pics how it has followed the grout lines. It appears that there was a spill right next to the toilet. It is possible that it was already that way, and the pressure of the spinner ate into the tile where there was already mild etching. Removing years of soiling would make it more prominent as well. Even at that, most acid cleaners WE use should not even cause that..

Walt

You can easily acid etch ceramic tile with a strong acid or cleanser. We used to do it all the time (on purpose). I used to refinish ceramic tiles with my dad and I don't believe that there is a real solution to your problem since it is a floor. The good news is it shouldn't be too expensive to have new installed - that tile is extremely inexpensive. They can install over the existing.

Not a bad time to get in touch with a good installer. Probably you can help him some time in the future and certainly get referrals.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington

I think Fon hit this right on the head. No cleaner made for tile would do that. Some rust removers or strong acid bowl cleaners will. I suspect the home-owner either spilled or intentionally used bowl cleaner on the floor before the professional cleaners arrived. Cleaning just revealed pre-exisiting damage.

I'll bet Ike knows a good flooring inspector that can help get him off the hook.

Scott Warrington

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
It kind of looks like some one poured a cleaner on to the grout lines. Could it have been the installer trying to clean up the grout smear after install?

Bob Foster

Long shot. There is an urban myth - that might be true that you can use draino to clean tile grout. Some people also try that liquid toilet bowl cleaner too.

cu

Supportive Member
Name
Cu
just tell her
it's the new south beach fashion in bathrooms and your not going to charge her for it
.........................and what are you doing out cleaning tile anyway , get back to your meth lab and mix some more juju juice

Larry B

Name
Larry Burrell
Something you might want to ask is if they ever put any kind of wax, sealer or a product like mop and glow on the tile. If it has a heavy coat of one of the products above or like it and you spent most of your time on the grout lines it could just be you stripped what ever product they have been using to shine the tile with.

We had to use a scrubber at a library to strip the tile after a person put floor finish on it and stanley steamer came in to clean the grout lines it looked just like your pictures above.

The only way to make it look good again was to completely strip the tile.

It can hurt to ask but alot of people use the mop&glow and other shine products and if they do than there is a good chance that is whats going on with your tile.

Greenie

following up with Zep products is kind of a scary statement, cause man o man that sure looks like acid etching from someone working the grout lines, and the grout lines only. If the damage was already there, the rough surface would have been a dirt magnet and very noticeable...no?

admiralclean said:
Oh, so those are Ike's shoes?

Well, if he gets out of this with any money tell him to go to Wally World and get some shoes and shocks.

This is Ike on Les"s computer. I bought these ugly ass shoes in Alabama, the last time I rode my horse thru there. All jokes aside, I appreciate the replies. The customer bought this house eight years ago and has tried to clean these tiles with numerous products.
We were the idiots that tried to pull off a miracle, and as usuall, trying to be all things to all customers has btten us in the butt. I have a topical sealer that we are using to seal the surface and then we are applying a gloss sealer. The customer is only interested in having a even looking appearence, and I think we can do this. I am experimenting on 1 bathroom to see what the final outcome is, will show pictures when completed, and inform you all if I did good or got my ass chewed, in which case I will be buying tile. Warning to all, as Dane Gregory says, test and test again befor you accept job. I have learned my lesson, how about you all? thanks from Ike

boazcan

Name
Bryan C
Ike, I have used Sure Cure from Betco for this before (at the custy's request). It will wear off as all topical sealers will.

That is some wicked etching. Definitely some type of bowl cleaner, etc.

Bryan

Fon Johnson

Leslie Judson Jones said:
admiralclean said:
Oh, so those are Ike's shoes?

Well, if he gets out of this with any money tell him to go to Wally World and get some shoes and shocks.

This is Ike on Les"s computer. I bought these ugly ass shoes in Alabama, the last time I rode my horse thru there. All jokes aside, I appreciate the replies. The customer bought this house eight years ago and has tried to clean these tiles with numerous products.
We were the idiots that tried to pull off a miracle, and as usuall, trying to be all things to all customers has btten us in the butt. I have a topical sealer that we are using to seal the surface and then we are applying a gloss sealer. The customer is only interested in having a even looking appearence, and I think we can do this. I am experimenting on 1 bathroom to see what the final outcome is, will show pictures when completed, and inform you all if I did good or got my ass chewed, in which case I will be buying tile. Warning to all, as Dane Gregory says, test and test again befor you accept job. I have learned my lesson, how about you all? thanks from Ike

I would dig deep to find out what they used. I can say with 95% certainty that something has been used to try to clean the grout, and it followed the grout line down hill. Pour some water at the big etched spot next to the toilet and see if it doesn't follow the etched path. Dig and see what they used on it. I think it is 90% their fault, and 10% yours (and that is typically not so much your FAULT as it is bad luck!)

B&BGaryC

Name
B&BGaryC
And this is why I won't clean tile until I am properly trained to do so. I know I can clean tile, I've done it before. I have never bought a floor yet, and I consider myself lucky.

Larry B

Name
Larry Burrell
If the owner got toilet bowl cleaner on the floor dont any of you think they would have seen this before it was cleaned. Alot of bowl cleaner is 20% acid if it was splilled on the floor it would not have waited untill 6 months later when the tile was cleaned to show up. Hell for that matter he would have seen it when he showed up to clean it.

I stand by what I said above. That floor at some point or another has had some kind of a shine sealent or finish put on it and the heat and pressure cleaning the grout removed some of it (OR) A cleaner that was too strong for the job was used to clean.

No matter how you look at it that is not a toilet bowl cleaner spill. That is all over the floor and I dont see anyone that spends money having floors cleaned to just walk away from a spill and let it run.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom