I'm outgrowing my small truckmount...

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
Today I received a very well built 4 jet 14" wand with a 1.75" tube from Westpak. I was so excited to get out and use it because I have a TON of commercial work to do, starting tonight. I had been using a small 2 jet 12" wand for the last couple years and I figured I'd better go bigger because of the amount of square footage coming up. Anyway, I got about 5-10 minutes into the large church I started tonight when I realized my little truckmount (Chem-Tex Panther 20) just couldn't keep up enough heat. So now I have some decisions to make. Does anyone have advice on making the most out of a small rig like this? Is it pointless to try to find a Rotary Extractor that would work well with a small TM? If it is time to sell, is it best to leave van intact and sell ready to go? Or separate and maybe look into having a Judson put into my already lettered (sharp looking) van? It has been a good machine for residential and apartments, but the church I'm cleaning is over 40,000 sq. ft. alone. Plus I have a weekend full of commercial work coming up too. What do you guys think?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

FredC

Village Idiot
That panther seems to be a decent and compact unit...comparable to a Judson TNT component wise (I know I'll get bashed for that)
If heat is the issue I would add a 2 or 3ht as post heat

I wouldn't cross-grade just to get heat. I would buy a heater

Last edited:
Reactions: Russ T.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
yeah if its running good, and for the most part you are happy with it....

add a heater....$1500-$2200 range

now if you want and CAN afford a new one...then there you go.....

but add the heater and a decent rotary...and you will be ahead

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Russ;

That TM will be limited on heat with the HX design.

Run the TM @ a high RPM to maximize the vacuum lift.

(I like to run @ 16" hg.)

Larry

carpetcleaner

Name
Rob Litwin
I have a Boxxer 421 and have been using a 14" 4 jet wand from Blueline. I have plenty of heat and vacuum. Maybe you need to make sure all the filters are clean and the vacuum relief is set correctly. What size jets did the new wand come with?

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
you went from 2 jets...up to 4....so your pushing out more water......
could be as simple as lowering the size of the jets......

what size jets are you running......

the higher the flow...the more your machine fights to keep up with the heat....
the lower the flow....the more heat you will get..........

it all goes back to balance your tools with your equipment..................

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
you went from 2 jets...up to 4....so your pushing out more water......
could be as simple as lowering the size of the jets......

what size jets are you running......

the higher the flow...the more your machine fights to keep up with the heat....
the lower the flow....the more heat you will get..........

it all goes back to balance your tools with your equipment..................

I think they are 95015. If I go to smaller jets, should I just stick with my smaller wand? I'm ultimately trying to same myself time/effort.

Russ Terhaar
The Clean Machine of Iowa LLC
www.thegreatcleanmachine.com

Lance Golden

Name
Lance Golden
Now that you have stated a jet size. More than likely your 2 jet 12" had 2 "02" nozzles. (04 flow)
change you new ones to 9501's instead... (04 flow)

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
I think they are 95015. If I go to smaller jets, should I just stick with my smaller wand? I'm ultimately trying to same myself time/effort.

Russ Terhaar

you should be able to stick with the larger wand so you can cover more area........

9502 size. might be the answer........With a 4 jet wand they give good flow without compromising the water temp..........

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
My old wand has 2 11002 jets. This seems to provide optimum flow. If I go to the 4 jet wand, what is the size jet to maintain that flow? Will I have to slow the cleaning passes down considerably? Thanks guys.

Russ Terhaar

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
My old wand has 2 11002 jets. This seems to provide optimum flow. If I go to the 4 jet wand, what is the size jet to maintain that flow? Will I have to slow the cleaning passes down considerably? Thanks guys.

Russ Terhaar

then go with the 9501's on the 4 jet......

just about every supplier on this board has jets........

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Seems like a rookie question, but why do the old jets start with "11" and the ones on the new wand "95"?

Russ Terhaar

The first 2 numbers are the angle 110 degrees and 95 degrees. 2 jet to 4 jet would have different angles. Some cleaners prefer different angles in the center jets than the outer jets.

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
So Are you stealing some market share from the Rice boys at Service Master. I paid my way through college with those guys.

I don't know them personally but I'm stealing as much of this market as I can. We are in Huxley, between Ames and Des Moines. Only been in this location since July '11. I broke my leg shortly after moving here so really only been pushing for a little over a year here.

Russ Terhaar

Name
Lee Stockwell
Ag supply places have them everywhere.

and: as Steve Lawrence noted, just hook your incoming water line to the facilities' HOT water.

Last edited:

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
Don't get me wrong I love high heat but in your case I would sacrifice a little heat for more flow with a larger wand. Trying to clean a wider path with the same flow as your 12" wand means you'll likely have slow down your pass to get adequate flush. You can strengthen your chem to make up for less heat.

John Olson

Name
John Olson
I have a couple of used little giants if you decide to add a heater. The panther isnt a well designed HX machine. You are never going to have consitant heat EVER no matter what you do with your jets but doing what Jim suggested WILL make a difference. IF your looking for a bigger machine I have two Blue Line Thermal Wave 2 machines about to hit the market. One is a Nissan with belly tank and only 1800 hours for around 14k and the other is a GM with 3800's for around 9k..

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
Can you guys tell me if there is a Rotary Extractor that would work well for a small setup like I have. It seems like the flow from my wand should be at about 4 to maintain heat. It looks like the Rotovac 360i has just 3 jets. maybe that would work? Thanks!

juniorc82

Supportive Member
Name
Jon Coret
Can you guys tell me if there is a Rotary Extractor that would work well for a small setup like I have. It seems like the flow from my wand should be at about 4 to maintain heat. It looks like the Rotovac 360i has just 3 jets. maybe that would work? Thanks!

Get an rx 20 . I have a small truckmount like yours and it does pretty good on it. Much better built than a rv360i . You can probly find one for about 2grand used but it will last you for ever. I have 2 small tm's and on 1 I put in a diesal heater from northern tool and bought a flow switch that would allow it to fire under lower flow. It kicks ass hardcore consistant heat up to 240 even cleaning tile at high temps

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
I think I'd rather not rig a propane heater to my van. It does fine for residential carpet and apartments. The rig is paid for so I'm in a decent position. I could sell it complete and have a nice down payment for the next rig. I could keep it as a backup. I could sell the machine inside and install a bigger and better unit. I think I'm leaning toward keeping it for a while and maximizing its cleaning potential with a RE. I need to be looking at encap for commercial too. I have a lot of experience with a Whittaker so that might be a smart next step.

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
The rotary can give very good cleaning results but it will not increase you production rate. I am a lot faster with the wand & glide than I am with the rotary.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
360 for resi......dont think that smallish machine would like an RX much....

but rx for commercial...leaves res to wet for my liking...

SamIam

Name
sam miller
Do You have a rotary 175 floor machine? if so use that to prescrub commercial or residential then rinse with mount.

You can use either wand, commercial carpets usually respond better to a prespray with citrus, power maxx, extreme clean, or flex with citrus all powdered pre sprays all gold for rental poly's and commercial.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom