I’m starting to HATE area rugs....

Name
Jeff T
Things are very busy right now. I’m working 6 days a week, and I’m booked out until the 3rd week of July.... great right? Well, I’ve currently got 34 area rugs in my shop to be processed. At the end of a work day, the last thing I want to do is deal with the pit. Am I just being a whiny biotch? Guess that’s life....

Reactions: Nomad74
Name
Jeff T
Are you charging enough to justify the labor? Lol, I'm sure some will find that an amusing question coming from Mr. $99 Special
Anywhere between 95$ to 500$.... yes, it’s definitely worth it, it’s just the time...

CJ-FL

Name
CK-FL
Not sure if you would be interested but you may want to reach out to a local rug plant to see how much they would charge you to clean your rugs. If you can still make good money just picking them up and dropping them off while you could be on other jobs making money at the same time. If your schedule slows down, start cleaning them again yourself. Something to consider when your schedule is slammed.

Askal

RIP
Name
Al
I love rugs. Great filler when we have a short day. From 2 a week to 10. Not gonna buy my vacation home but nice. 2 to 6 per SF.

Name
Jeff T
Not sure if you would be interested but you may want to reach out to a local rug plant to see how much they would charge you to clean your rugs. If you can still make good money just picking them up and dropping them off while you could be on other jobs making money at the same time. If your schedule slows down, start cleaning them again yourself. Something to consider when your schedule is slammed.
The local guy who does area rugs was my go to. He started to drop the ball, was taking 2 months to process a rug for me, and his quality was shyte. I had complaint after complaint. People asked if I had even cleaned it. I set up my own pit 8 months ago. I’ve done more in area rugs over the last 8 months than I did in the first year of business of CC. It’s well worth it, but trying to find the time, and a person that’s dedicated enough to do it, that’s the issue. Right now, it’s just myself and my office girl. Tomorrow I’ve got a large T&G job, then it’s time to put on the rubber boots....

Reactions: CJ-FL
Name
Jeff T
I hate rugs. At least people take better care of their upholstery. Rugs, they let their animals piss all over them. Heavy to lug to the drying room. Fringe work is killer on the knees.

Man I hate Rugs! I'd rather clean a week old pot full of chili at a sewage job than clean rugs. :winky:
I use a chair and folding tables. I found a use with my old Mytee uph tool. Fringe work. When I took the @Jim Pemberton course, I took mental notes and pics of the rug setup there at Joe’s.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Funny you posted this Jeff. I walked away from a job this morning. The lady had area rugs everywhere. I was like, Firetruck this! She also wanted her couch cleaned and 30 sq ft of carpet. Thank god she didn't like my quit because I wasn't into dealing with a penny pinching pain in the ass today. Just too busy for that stuff, and besides, she had not piss work for me. Total downer. I referred her to the local rug plant, Bauer's.

T Monahan

Supportive Member
Name
Tom Monahan
To each his own.

However, I've owned an on-location cleaning company since 1977. I started to enjoy washing rugs more when I learned how to do them well, charge appropriately for the product I outputted and had time saving equipment to process 20-25 in a day with one guy. I still am a one truck operation with an authentic in-plant rug washing operation. Feel compelled to visit with me in my Ann Arbor area anytime for a 'show and tell' experience.

Now for a commercial plug for the greatest upcoming event ever on rug washing: Come to ARCS' wash day for free in Denver Colorado October 29. learn something by working side by side with real rug washer on the wash floor. Or alternatively, get some fine education at the beginning of that week Monday and Tuesday. In the middle of the week, Rug Summit provides a business building conference, and networking occasion with business owners and key people in their plant, Wednesday and Thursday of that same week. Oh yeah, there is a Skills Day on Friday provided by instructors, in various stations around Robert Mann's new rug plant, on every phase or process a rug goes through in a real working rug plant. Check these things out for a new outlook on rug cleaning. Better yet, just plan on coming for the whole week.

Name
Jeff T
K, done my day. It started at 4:45 this morning. I was in the shop by 5:15, prepped for the day, did 1k sqft of T&G today, and worked through 28 out of 36 rugs. I’m frickin beat. I saved the 8 hardest ones. The 2 other rugs I picked up today are going to be a bear. One is sisal and cotton, the other has the strangest, braided fringes I’ve seen to date. Should be fun. I’ve got all 11 air movers running, and my dehu..... guess tomorrow is another day....

Last edited:
Name
Jeff T
how many of those could have been washed in the customer's drive way?
Well, out of the 36, 27 of them were from the resto company. I would say in total, probably 60-70%. I like having them in the shop, that way I don’t have the client breathing down my neck. A lot of them are crap synthetic. I was able to just vac, prespray, agitate, extract. I’ve got 2 pee rugs soaking right now. I haven’t done the math yet, but I bet I did close to 4K today. I did 2k just in T&G.

Reactions: BIG WOOD
Name
Jeff T
The lady said ‘my dog only pee’d on it once’... uhhh, once a day, for a few months maybe.....
9E09EB15-836E-4783-9BA6-D42B0BA23E25.jpeg
104A1F4D-A3CA-4DEF-ADC7-F41341D89A16.jpeg
35E55F3F-81BB-456A-A63C-143A5B318C53.jpeg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom