Ink emergency

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Had a customer who's husband sat down on the sofa with a pen in his back pocket. In the shop I have tried every ink remover there is with varying degrees of success. In the home, when I'm put on the spot, (pun intended) I fall back on some old dry cleaning products I was trained on years ago. My go to solution is a 2-1 mixture of Streetex and Picrin. 2 parts of Streetex and 1 part of Picrin. These are products available through dry cleaning suppliers or online from the RR streets company. Along with Pyratex, there is not much you can't remove. What makes it work so well on ink is that the Streetex part is a water based emulsifier and the Picrin is a powerful solvent capable of dissolving the ink. The Streetex keeps it emulsified so that it doesn't spread. You apply, agitate with a bone scraper and rinse, then repeat until it's gone. Spray over area with pure Picrin or other volatile solvent and rinse again. Seems to work everytime. These products are extremely powerful and toxic, so should be handled with care. Used in small amounts, they can be lifesavers.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I vaguely remember my Dad having those on the chem shelf, I've never used them
Pyratex was common as a pog. Picrin has been replaced by safer solvents like prochems solvent cleaner. Streetex is still a very unique product, especially when mixed as a 2 in 1 cleaner with Picrin or other volatile solvent. Prevents oily stains from spreading.

Reactions: Lee Stockwell

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom