Install advice

shadygrady

Name
Rob Grady
I am in the process of installing a CDS unit into a new (to me) 1991 Chev van that I purchased recently with 34,000kms. I scrapped my old van but saved the unit for re-install. The EGR conduit needs to be looped slightly around the drive-shaft. My question is, where can I obtain a 45degree elbow with the same threads as the EGR to facilitate this.
I have another van with unit installed for reference. On it, coming from the exhaust header there is a plug to straight short nipple to 45 to EGR set-up. Any help would be appreciated. I have exhausted my local leads including the original installer who has no recollection of re-routing the EGR conduit around the shaft
I don't want to rip the nipple/45 elbow off of my other van as it is in excellent working condition.

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
Pics?

Also, I'm confused - how can your old van be in excellent condition if you scrapped it? To me scrapped means sold for junk and crushed into a little cube of steel....

Reactions: Lee Stockwell
Name
Nate W.
Pics?

Also, I'm confused - how can your old van be in excellent condition if you scrapped it? To me scrapped means sold for junk and crushed into a little cube of steel....

You need coffee Dan... He scrapped his old van.. The new (to him) 1991 van that he's installing.. He has another van that's in excellent condition but don't want to rob Peter to pay Paul...

So recap, he scrapped one.. Got another van and has an excellent working other van for reference...:lol:

That's how I read it...

Reactions: dgardner

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Thanks Nate...I needed your translation too

Rob: What is the condition of your recovery tank?

I dearly love the CDS, and have a lot of them out there with cleaners happy with their performance.

But.....one weakness they have is that when the get to be as old as yours, the recovery tanks often corrode and leak. Before you go to all of the time, trouble, and expense of this reinstall, make sure you check that tank out carefully.

Name
Brad Gouveia
Jim is right my tank started to crack on the corner seem. O calked and but a angle iron on it but that is when I knew it was time to bye to it. Also why I went with a company that used a different metal.

shadygrady

Name
Rob Grady
My recovery tank(s) are in excellent condition. I use only a pre-spray with a PH of 8.5. I have purchased several used units also, so I can pick and choose from various parts for my install. The latest unit that I bought out of BC must have spent its time cleaning restaurants, as once I cleaned the insides of the vac tank, the white powder-coating is like new. There is some flaking on the exterior. I have one tank that is flaked /pitted on the inside, but still usable.
Nate read my post right. 98 Chev to scrap, 99Chev working order, new 99 >34k< for install.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Great news Rob.

Given time, resources, and guidance, you should be able to get that unit running in the new (to you) truck just like you plan.

Best of luck in your project.

shadygrady

Name
Rob Grady
Thanks guys. I just re-read my post from when last week. The new van is a 2001, not 1991 I am planning to do the install this winter when things are slower.

ronbeatty

Name
Ron Beatty
The responses in this thread brought up an interesting question, why do some manufacturers use aluminum for waste tanks, frame, etc. The labor to build it is the same regardless of the material used. Is this a planned obsolescence calculation, weight issue or just cheaper to build. Outside of a couple Hydramaster Aquacats I have never purchased a unit that did not have at least a stainless steel waste tank. Just asking???

shadygrady

Name
Rob Grady
Ron, I have a selection of both aluminium and stainless tanks to choose from. They are all about the same vintage. Only one of the aluminium vac tanks shows deterioration, probably due to some of those nasty chemicals out there. On the other hand my original recovery tank is in excellent condition, probably because of the neutral ph of my cleaning prespray.
The aluminium fresh tanks are another story. Soft water kills them long before their time. Stainless, well, they speak for themselves.

Able 1

Name
Keith
The responses in this thread brought up an interesting question, why do some manufacturers use aluminum for waste tanks, frame, etc. The labor to build it is the same regardless of the material used. Is this a planned obsolescence calculation, weight issue or just cheaper to build. Outside of a couple Hydramaster Aquacats I have never purchased a unit that did not have at least a stainless steel waste tank. Just asking???

What's wrong with an aluminum frame?

I agree with the waste tank though.. I have a 11 year old aluminum waste tank that I'm just waiting for it to start leaking. I have neglected it for its whole life, and it's pitted. Prochem should at least offer a stainless upgrade..

Reactions: ronbeatty

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom