Installation Question

diamond brian

A friend of mine posed this question to me. Although I do some reinstalls, I'm not an installation expert like some of ya'll. Thanks in advance.

"Hi Brian,

I have a question for you. The builder made the width of the stair steps 10 inches and the framing inspector red flagged him. The framing inspector stated they had to be 11 inches. As a result, the builder nailed 1 1/8 inches to each step. Now, the riser is way back from the front of each step and the carpet will have these huge 90 degree angles due to the step extensions. My concern is how carpet will lay on the steps when there are three 90 degree angles the carpet will have to lay? If the extensions were bull nosed, would that help?

Thanks,

Stuart"

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
It depends on the style of the installation. If its a waterfall installation, it will look a bit weird froma side profile but it it won't cause any installation challenges. However if they want cap and band installation (also known as fitted), The installation will look very out of place.

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
Re Read definately waterfall so you are saying the noseing is approx: 2 inches from riser wow. Another alteranative is if they demand it wrapped. He could add 3/4 inch pine to the riser

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
IMO......if the builder was doing the job correct by code then he should of known ..or caught the mistake...I am not one for putting a patch over a screw up...it should be removed and built correctly to insure that there may not be any types of problems that may come up at a later date.....once this is all over with..the builder collects his check and in the end it will only effect the home owner...

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
That is the best answer... unless the people have signed off already and there is no builder warranty. I've seen and had to deal with issues where contractor screwed/nailed bull nose to a step to pass code and we find it years later when replacing carpet. Its not fun to deal with and alot of times the front of the nosing is either broken off, or severely worn because they used inferior wood compared to the rest of the tread.

And while yes, one could put a 3/4 pine board on the riser.. you get back to the hole mess again of the treads not meeting code if they ever had to have an inspection performed again. So get the root of the problem the staircase properly.

Harry Myers

Name
Harry Myers
What I would like to know when the steps failed were they square with no nose at all. From the sounds of it , it seems he added additional nosing making it around 2". Or is it only 1 1/8 from the riser. Usually it is around 3/4 to 1 inch out from the riser. :)

sweendogg

Name
David Sweeney
Maybe we should start a carpet show based on the Holmes on Homes show.. but point everything out from the cleanign and installation standpoint!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom