Installing auto pump-out on Steamway.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
I have an external auto pump out that I want to install on my Steamway. I’m not quite sure where to drill the holes. I am guessing I want them as near the bottom of the tank as possible, but I can’t reach too far down inside the tank to screw on the fastener. The $1500.00 pumpout I ordered from Jon Don came with no instructions. What do I use for a gasket? I love that machine but, an auto pump should be mandatory for the Steamway. Apparently, the high water float kills only the pump, which is fine unless you are doing water extraction. If anyone has photos of auto pump out on a Steamway they would be most helpful.

SRI Cleaning

Name
Anthony Firmani
Yeah thats what i did, drop a line in from the top. I wouldnt want to worry about drilling a hole near the bottom and having it leak.

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
I screwed (stainless fasteners) a marine bilge float to a 1/4 X 6X8" steel plate, glued the plate to 7X9" heavy rubber, dropped it in. No holes in the tank. Held in place by gravity. Rubber keeps it from banging tank.

STOP GLOBAL COOLING!

SRI Cleaning

Name
Anthony Firmani
This going to sound like the biggest hack job, but it has worked flawlessly for the past 2 years. I got a cheap sump pump from northern tool, lowered it in the from the top of the tank and the hose comes out of the top of the tank. The hose supports the pump from falling over. And no holes in the bottom of the tank.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
I didn’t think about dropping the hose back down, that’s smart. It looks like I need to drill 2 holes, one for the pump and one for the float. The float would need to be fairly low. I just want to make sure I have a plan before I start drilling into the recovery. I guess I’ll call service dept and Jon-Don and pick their brain.

Johnny, That sounds very ingenious. If there are no holes the tank, how does the hose run out? Got a picture?

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Check with Meat........he has an APO in his Powermatic. You would want the hole high, and drop a hose down in, but not to the bottom to keep any crud build-up from being sucked into the hose.

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
ACE said:
Johnny, That sounds very ingenious. If there are no holes the tank, how does the hose run out? Got a picture?

No hose. Pump is external. Only the float switch is in the tank. Wires run through small threaded plug near top of tank.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
Johnny said:
ACE said:

No hose. Pump is external. Only the float switch is in the tank. Wires run through small threaded plug near top of tank.

I still don’t get it. If it’s external how does the waste water get to the pump without a hose going into the tank? Did you tap the drain?

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
rwcarpet said:
Check with Meat........he has an APO in his Powermatic. You would want the hole high, and drop a hose down in, but not to the bottom to keep any crud build-up from being sucked into the hose.

I went the same route as Anthony .
Since 110 vt electric is always needed to run the burner on a PM, it was by far the most cost effective way to go.
I bought a cast iron Rigid sump pump though....lifetime warranty!!

I dropped the pump in, plumbed it with 1.5" PVC then used water tight sch 80 PVC electrical conduit fittings to go thru the tank .
From the tank out, I used 1" conduit .
For the cord, I used 1/2" water tight fittings and conduit

the whole kit and kaboodle cost less than $500.

and did I mention the LIFETIME warranty on the pump???.... :mrgreen:
haven't had to use it yet though

..L.T.A.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
Larry, I like your idea of using 115. Can you run the sump pump at the same time as the burner? Will it work under vac load?

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
ACE said:
Johnny said:
ACE said:

I still don’t get it. If it’s external how does the waste water get to the pump without a hose going into the tank? Did you tap the drain?

External pump attaches to the tank drain valve.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
ACE said:
Larry, I like your idea of using 115. Can you run the sump pump at the same time as the burner? Will it work under vac load?

yes and yes
We don't run it in auto pump mode though.
cause I like to be discreet when draining....even though we're legal when and where we drain
95% of the time anyway
There are places I prefer not to drain just cause it seems "unsightly" to me or the jobs are small enough that I'm not going to waste time hooking up a drain hose

Run a short 12 gauge cord off the generator.
Air conditioner extension cords work well.
They're short and heavy duty
That way you can plug and unplug the pump as needed

I "think" my pump is 1/2 HP, maybe a 3/4, but I'm pretty sure it's 1/2HP.
It's also the best 1/2 HP Rigid makes (they have a less expensive one with poly housing and impeller)
IIRC, it was $229

It will pump continuously under full vac load.
Which is set 14HG on mine.
Use a 3/4" hose too
You'll need a check valve on the 1.5" PVC too

..L.T.A.

lance

If you pump out from the bottom of the waste tank it will get clogged up and not work like it is supposed to do.

That is why Jim Martin doesn't use his.

Mr. Cap, how many times do you have to dump the waste tank on a avg. day? How much room did you lose in the tank by putting the pumpout in there?

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
lance said:
If you pump out from the bottom of the waste tank it will get clogged up and not work like it is supposed to do.

That is why Jim Martin doesn't use his.

Mr. Cap, how many times do you have to dump the waste tank on a avg. day? How much room did you lose in the tank by putting the pumpout in there?

yep...first thing to go was the fresh tank that leaked and the second was the APO....very bad design.....

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
lance said:

it's 105 gal waste tank.
I'd "guess" close to 90 gal "usable"

Depends on the soil load as far draining.
some days we'll do in excess of 3000sf before the need to drain.
some filthy rat holes that need mega flush might only get us 1500 sf or less before we need to drain

I don't know how much capacity we lost.
I'd reckon the pump and a couple ft of 1.5" PVC would be about a cubic ft of space.

One of the smart guys can tell me how much that equates to in gallons of water.
I'm guessing a couple/three gallons going by the Capitioni School of Volume Figgerin'
...which is figgerin' a couple gallon milk jugs outta be about a cubic ft.... :mrgreen:

..L.T.A.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom