integrating your wife or spouse on to the team.

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
My wife started helping out about 1 month into business. I couldn't even imagine trying to answer the cell, booking jobs, doing the follow ups etc etc etc. she works office 9-3 Mon-Fri and answers calls at other times but we no longer answer after 6 pm or on weekends. She does all the residential bookings, follow ups, SOC post cards etc. I do take care of everything to do with my restaurant clients and everything dealing with the technical side of the jobs. She will also occasionally pick up and deliver small rugs if I jammed packed. We don't talk shop a lot after hours (but sometimes). I couldn't begin to do the volume that we do without her. I don 't pay her but she doesn't 't want for anything either.

Reactions: dealtimeman

WillS

Supportive Member
Name
Will
If your spouse is working with you how are you dividing the incomes? Do you just use one bank account for the both of you, or do you both get paid separate for owns each personal spending money, or what?

Able 1

Name
Keith
If your spouse is working with you how are you dividing the incomes? Do you just use one bank account for the both of you, or do you both get paid separate for owns each personal spending money, or what?

Somehow, I would think you would be just better off having her work for free and just give her what she wants out of your account... On the other hand you might be better off paying her if it puts you in another tax bracket if you don't. An accountant is very helpful to play the "game".

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
i have been taking baby step to get my wife more involved in the biz. not so much for the sake of helping out but more as a training and preparation of day to day operations and billing if anything was to ever happen to me.

depending on your wife's character it could be a struggle and very testing for your relationship. compound that with the added stress of needing to see her as a money making asset to your company will test your wisdom without a doubt.

all that said if it works out you will have a great partner in business that CARES as much about the business as you do, and that means a lot. you really need to crunch number and make sure going say, six months, without her income will drown you.

hope everything works out for you in whatever direction you decide to proceed.

PrimaDonna

Megatron
Name
MB
I could be the poster child for this thread! So much to share/say. When I left the corporate world a bit over 7 years ago to join John, I had a goal of increasing the business(with in one year) the same amount of money we were loosing from my income. I also knew that if we didn't quite hit that goal, it would be ok because working from home and not in the corporate world, I no longer had certain expenses. (Professional wardrobe, nails being done, dry cleaning, less meals out or convenience food which costs more then being home to make food, no commute to work so saving on gas, wear and tear on the car, and got a reduction in insurance since I was driving under XXX miles per year on the vehicle. For some there could be savings in afterschool or childcare costs) The money can be the biggest stressor in making the leap. So, before you do it, know how much you need to increase your sales by and what your COGS are so you have a plan of exactly how much money is needed to make up lost income from a spouse leaving a job to join you (salary and benefits if they are part of it). Also figure out what you would be saving by having them out of the traditional work force. Then figure out if it is really feasible for you to increase your revenue by that much with their help? End of part 1, but I have so much more I can say on this topic to make the transition..... The unexpected things we didn't plan or predict (both good and bad). All in all, I wouldn't go back and am happy to be here working with John. But there are those days!!!!!

Reactions: Mikey P

Able 1

Name
Keith
Emotionally I think everyone wants to be paid. Few wimmens today want to be a "kept woman".

Steve

PS I really need to start paying Sioux for her video editing efforts.

Yeah,that's fine and she can pay the difference out of "her" account.. Should be thought of as a "team" IMO! What is the best IS the best for all..

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
My wife and I have been working together for over 25 years. She takes care of the scheduling and getting the bills paid in the summer. She is also the best helper I have ever worked with. And as Bob said, she is a great PR person when we work together, dealing with customers. When I wanted to not work Saturdays, I had a hard time getting her to not schedule them, but she did it. Now I'm working on not doing any commercial.

Al_Paulsen

Kristie does the books and that's all she doesn't answer the phone she doesn't go to jobs nothing. I am The Boss and she works for me works out great for both of us

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
It Too Bad your wife couldn't use her great education to get a decent paying Job. But helping you could be a great Plan B.

Since most of our clients are Women keep this in mind: Women feel more relaxed to do business with other Women. Our custys loved it when we had a female helper accompany our male techs-- they felt safer-- Oh don't go there guys please.. haha
Women have the patience to communicate to women that men don't seem to have.

maybe try this-- bring her on sooner. maybe have her do daycare-- IF this is her thing-- while Also Admining for your Biz. She"ll have "2 source" of income and great write-offs that go with day care and home office expenses.

Good Luck.

tracywalker

Name
Tracy
Did not work for my wife and I. We tried it but we just didn't work well together. She always felt like she was missing her calling. She loves animals so she started her own dog grooming business and it is doing really well. She has her business, I have mine and we stay out of each others. Works great for us! But seriously it is kinda cool knowing all our family income isn't relied only on carpet cleaning.

Reactions: Art Kelley

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom